Hang Your Heads In Shame

4 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

JUST an observation from the side lines, how many do we have in this mythical singing section  would 6000 be a reasonable guess so yes maybe next time the club could specifically sell a singing block for that number.But you definitely cant call a 60/70 fan who have watched the Rams 40/50 years an occasional fan/daytriipers that is a disgrace they probably know more about football than  an 18/25 year old who has spent 2/3 hours in the pub before hand,i am not criticising anyone who did that i am just trying to show we have supporters who vary and not that one type are superior to any other

Yes, we do have a mix of fans like any club & I wouldn't expect older fans/families to necessarily be that vocal. Or indeed would I imply that they are 'lesser' fans.

But if you've been on the booze all day & start swaggering around Wembley like toytown Danny Dyers, then the least we should expect is a bit of noise and passion. And that was in very short supply from the lads I saw all around me. Like @BaaLocks suggests, some way of co-ordinating the support so that South Standers are allocated with like minded souls would work better for next time we get to Wembley.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, old ram 15 said:

I was on the 7:56 and people were definitely out of it on that train. 

I was on that train I must admit I did drink my bottled water too quickly at one point.

Was a few drinking beer on the train to be fair.

I think one of the biggest mistakes is actually advertising an area as the singing section.

People will see that and automatically think that's where the best atmosphere will be and buy tickets to enjoy that atmosphere without contributing to it.

43 minutes ago, cstand said:

I was on that train I must admit I did drink my bottled water too quickly at one point.

Was a few drinking beer on the train to be fair.

I don't mind people having a few drinks at that time on a day like that as long as they aren't causing trouble. Some of the lads were out of it though so not sure how they were faring by 3.00pm!

I don't even know why we need a singing section tbf. I don't think it's too much to ask for people to give a little bit of vocal support on the day of the biggest game of the year. Hopefully won't be too long before we can put it right and go down and back our team, not just turn up and expect something shiny at the end. 

We should have absolutely cheered them off the pitch after the last month or so. 

21 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

Atmosphere was dog ? . In 522 and it was full of day trippers and people in 15yr old shirts who knew f### all about today's squad. Play off final is rubbish . Everyone sat down and not one chant all game ,. Pathetic

I was in 526.  My shirt was actually 21 years old I'll have you know, and I ain't no daytripper either... I was down there on Sunday! 

We stood, we sat.  We sang, we clapped, we sat with head in hands.  I lost my voice.  Some around us did similar, some not.
We were almost last out, due to being 3rd from back row, in the middle of the block.  We applauded the players for what must have been 30 mins(?) after the final whistle.  It seemed like it anyway.  They've done well.  Better than I expected or hoped back in August.

We got what we deserved on the day, and arguably got more than we deserved from the season as a whole.

This was just a poor game, with a poor atmosphere.  No need to look for blame.  It happens.  

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

would work better for next time we get to Wembley.

Unless we get there in the cup it's going to be a few years now. Automatics next season then consolidation in the top flight. Mark my words.

47 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

My shirt was actually 21 years old I'll have you know, and I ain't no daytripper either... I was down there on Sunday! 

Did see a guy with a legit Centenary shirt on - if he wasn't about four sizes smaller then me I would have mugged him for it. That said, if he's still the same size as he was in 1984 I'm guessing he looks after himself - maybe better left alone.

On 27 May 2019 at 18:49, BurtonRam7 said:

No, not the players. The performance on the pitch wasn’t great, but it wasn’t terrible. I can take the loss.

What I can’t stomach is how embarrassing our fans  were today. I’ve seen more atmosphere in the North Stand for a pre-season friendly. When the boys needed us most in the second half, we let them down. A couple of us in the ‘singing section’ were trying to get things going but we were met with dirty looks and disdain. I was absolutely fuming for the majority of the second half because our ‘fans’ offered the square root of duck all.

I don’t care who this pisses off. I don’t care if I lose the respect of those who I hold in high regard on this forum. What I care about is representing my ducking club, and I felt ashamed to do that today. At the very least, we should have given the loanees a proper send off to thank them for their services, but the majority ducked off to beat the tube traffic.

I’ve never been as down after a game as I was today. And it’s got absolutely nothing to do with how the team played.

Embarrassing.

Agree with, this 100 percent, our fans were far to quiet in the stadium, we should have got behind the team more, but when you get 13000 fans just turning up because it's Wembley this can happen to most clubs, thought Villa were quiet to, now I can not wait till next season to start.

Laughable thread in many ways this.

When did Pride Park become a ‘cauldron of noise’ then?  I might have to start making a few more home games again if it is up there with a Dortmund or Besitkas experience. 25000 regular attendees roaring themselves hoarse, letting off their flares and firecrackers, and projecting a wall of black and white.

But, it really isn’t like that is it?  Only probably in the minds of those tanked up on cheap perfumed cider.

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

When did Pride Park become a ‘cauldron of noise’ then?  I might have to start making a few more home games again if it is up there with a Dortmund or Besitkas experience. 25000 regular attendees roaring themselves hoarse, letting off their flares and firecrackers, and projecting a wall of black and white.

But, it really isn’t like that is it?  Only probably in the minds of those tanked up on cheap perfumed cider.

I never said or suggested that it's a 'cauldron of noise' at Pride Park. It's a fairly average atmosphere for most games, something for which I'm willing to hold my hands up and accept that I contribute to the problem, as I (regretfully) sit in the North Stand  and don't have the balls to try and get an atmosphere going. However, there's usually more atmosphere in the South Stand on a Tuesday night than there was yesterday. It really was poor, especially, as I've mentioned, in the singing section, which I expected to be like the liveliest of Derby away ends. It was absolutely shocking that our fans couldn't get up for such a big game when our players arguably need it most. You only have to look at Brentford away (and Harry Wilson in particular) to see the effect a vocal support might have. I said before the game that, if we lost, I expected to be immensely proud of the club as I thought we would stay behind after the final whistle and sing our hearts out to thank the players for all their hard work this season. Did we do that? Did we duck.

And thanks very much for the subtle insult in the last paragraph. For your information, I very rarely have more than three pints at home games due to budget constraints. Even when I drink more at away games, I wouldn't describe myself as 'tanked up' at all, unless you can be tanked up by passion for a club.

21 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I saw fans with replica shirts from the charity shield in 70s. They looked so new it was like they had never been worn. Clearly daytrippers who had a day out in the 70s and haven't been to a game since.

Charity Shield shirts can be purchased in the club shop.. I remember when I was at Wembley for the Charity Shield back in 1975 not many people had replica shirts

21 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I never said or suggested that it's a 'cauldron of noise' at Pride Park. It's a fairly average atmosphere for most games, something for which I'm willing to hold my hands up and accept that I contribute to the problem, as I (regretfully) sit in the North Stand  and don't have the balls to try and get an atmosphere going. However, there's usually more atmosphere in the South Stand on a Tuesday night than there was yesterday. It really was poor, especially, as I've mentioned, in the singing section, which I expected to be like the liveliest of Derby away ends. It was absolutely shocking that our fans couldn't get up for such a big game when our players arguably need it most. You only have to look at Brentford away (and Harry Wilson in particular) to see the effect a vocal support might have. I said before the game that, if we lost, I expected to be immensely proud of the club as I thought we would stay behind after the final whistle and sing our hearts out to thank the players for all their hard work this season. Did we do that? Did we duck.

And thanks very much for the subtle insult in the last paragraph. For your information, I very rarely have more than three pints at home games due to budget constraints. Even when I drink more at away games, I wouldn't describe myself as 'tanked up' at all, unless you can be tanked up by passion for a club.

So, you were actually sober when you knocked one out at hillsborough?

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

I think one of the biggest mistakes is actually advertising an area as the singing section.

People will see that and automatically think that's where the best atmosphere will be and buy tickets to enjoy that atmosphere without contributing to it.

Point took Ossie, but, this was always designed really as saying standers only. Obviously the club cannot advertise that as such.

If I am being totally honest, it seemed to work better when it was my named block as it was kind of invite only etc and word was spread amongst fans and social media locally as opposed through the club ... And before anyone asks or whines, the reason for it was so that like minded fans could get together. When we first introduced it, it really worked, same faces in the same areas and everyone there was up for it. Over the last 2 seasons, the club have took control of it and i think it has gone downhill with fans being in there that clearly are not interested in BEING the atmosphere.

Fair to say there wont be any going back on it though.

I havent read through all the thread mind, and depressed to not to want to read it actually but my 11 year old mentioned at the dinner table how frustrated I was at others in the block and gestured to his Mum what I actually did which was waving my hands in the air and saying come on this is the singing block etc ... No swearing might I add!!

20 hours ago, bigbadbob said:

Bloody daytripper. You're not a proper fan and if we get to wembley again you're not allowed to go.

To be fair I've seen losses to Cremonese, Leicester, and Villa, so I deserve my penalty. I'd only just moved the US for the West Brom game and couldn't get back, so I have no defence, I am an albatross around the team's neck.

I did see the win over West Ham in the Charity Shield, but in terms of the playoffs, I suck.

Gutted.

But, I think I'm more gutted by Derby fans turning on Derby fans.

We all show our support and desire in different ways. In the early 80's I was a signing gobby git who went to most away games. But that was because I had very few responsibilities and I felt part of something. We all love this club and it isn't a competition.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

When did Pride Park become a ‘cauldron of noise’ then?  I might have to start making a few more home games again if it is up there with a Dortmund or Besitkas experience. 25000 regular attendees roaring themselves hoarse, letting off their flares and firecrackers, and projecting a wall of black and white.

Going totally off piste,haven’t you just nailed the possible solution to a lot of the debate on this thread.

Safe standing is prevalent at Dortmund right, an area where those that want to stand can, leaving other areas for seating.

My observations for what it's worth. I'm a south stand ST holder and yes I do stand and join in. At Wembley it's a different scenario.

The atmosphere outside Wembley was brilliant. Really enjoyed the fan zone as that had loads of fans singing etc. Some do go over the top with drinking too much beer in the day, but they are having a day out with mates and probably don't realise how much they are drinking until it's to late.

We were up in block 512, most were joining in but we couldn't hear the lower sections let alone know what they were singing. The bounce at one point was very good and most joined in on level 5.

Many were trying to get chants started in the sections to the left and right of me. like 'barmy army' and 'since I was young' All credit to them.  Most around me were joining in.Then all of a sudden all hell broke loose in 510 with stewards and Police wading in to try and arrest a lad who was kicking of for some reason or other. Also in front of me one gent was getting very upset by people standing in front of him. So much so he was basically threatening to smack anyone who was standing. One chap got removed for the whole of the first half because he refused to sit down.

It does state on the tickets that people who constantly stand up will be removed. It really isn't like a normal stadium at all and it's very difficult to create an atmosphere. The Villa fans were very loud after the 2nd goal but that's maybe because they were all chanting the same song. Maybe we should have stuck to 'Frankie Lampards Barmy Army' 

On the EFL show they said they had never seen so many fans of the loosing side stay behind to applaud their team

Archived