The Politics Thread 2019

Day

16 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Can't defend Abbott. Should have been sidelined long before she was. 

My politics are well to the left of centre, but her comment on the Andrew Marr show comparing her previous support for the defeat of the British army in Northern Ireland to a haircut that is no longer in fashion was one of the most stupid utterances from any politician, left or right, that I have ever heard. Whether or not her diabetes was to blame, she should have retired or moved to the back benches a long time ago.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, ossieram said:

Yeah but they didn't use the words "politcal correctness" so it doesn't count.

That's exactly my point though - they didn't use those words.  My point is that it's not "political correctness" because there is no such thing

15 hours ago, maxjam said:

I only got as far as page 2 of 159;

'Several staff described their nervousness about identifying the ethnic origins of perpetrators for fear of being thought racist; others remembered clear direction from their managers not to do so.'

That's not political correctness. That's people lacking guts.  

Sorry lads, but the whole "it's political correctness gone mad" argument is as weak as you get. Blame it on some nebulous concept because you're too scared to do the right thing? Actually quite pathetic to act the victim in such serious circumstances

4 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

That's exactly my point though - they didn't use those words.  My point is that it's not "political correctness" because there is no such thing

Sorry lads, but the whole "it's political correctness gone mad" argument is as weak as you get. Blame it on some nebulous concept because you're too scared to do the right thing? Actually quite pathetic to act the victim in such serious circumstances

So you know better than these people why they act the way they do?

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

What a load of garbage! People put their careers at risk by reporting these crimes and were dragged over the coals by their so called superiors  and were grilled by the police because they feared being branded as racists.

It also didn't help when Naz Shah liked and retweeted a post from a fake account telling the girls that were groomed to "shut up for the sake of diversity".

18 minutes ago, ossieram said:

People put their careers at risk by reporting these crimes and were dragged over the coals by their so called superiors  and were grilled by the police because they feared being branded as racists

But the passage quoted suggested that they didn't report the crimes because they feared being called racist or were told not to by their superiors. Which is it?

You're still missing the point that I'm not really disputing what happened - there is an official report after all (which is probably a bit more reliable than the irate ramblings of some old blokes on a football forum)

I'm just saying it was nothing to do with "political correctness". Projecting the blame on to some nebulous concept rather than admitting that the blame lies directly with the individuals involved (the staff who didn't report it and the bosses who told them not to) is not helpful

7 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Will there be a Christmas Day truce on this thread per chance ?

No i think there will be some discussion on here about who is more racist than whom for celebrating a Christian festival tomorrow. 

There could be some discussion too about the true meaning of eating Brussels and what it means for brexit.

55 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

I thought we were debating political correctness. Anyway what you're saying is that it's perfectly OK  to rough up marchers who hold certain views but not OK to rough up marchers who hold other sets of views? Maybe you could provide me some sort of definitive list on who it's OK to rough up and who it's not OK to rough up.

You need to read to the posts I'm replying too to get some context.

7 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Been some pretty disgusting Islamic protests/demonstrations in London. I see you carefully swerve that example.. Is it acceptable for plod to police that differently than a far right demo? If it is spewing hate, then no.

I didn't read about those ones. I would hope the police would deal with any threat of violence the same, regardless of who is protesting. If they don't then they are not doing their job properly. 

7 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Not very liberal though is it suggesting that it's OK for certain people to be roughed up? And I though we were in the season of good will. Come and have a game of footy with me on the Racecourse tomorrow. 

You need to read to the posts I'm replying too to get some context.

Interesting concept I read today. 

Those who think this country is racist or full of a lot of racist people tend to do so because they class themselves as part of the cultural elite. 

And it's an easy way for them to think they are therefore different to the stupid electorate.

Bang on by the looks of this thread. 

26 minutes ago, Norman said:

Interesting concept I read today. 

Those who think this country is racist or full of a lot of racist people tend to do so because they class themselves as part of the cultural elite. 

And it's an easy way for them to think they are therefore different to the stupid electorate.

Bang on by the looks of this thread. 

Do you mean cultural Marxism? Just asking as it's on my bingo card and I think I'm on for the house. 

Archived