The Politics Thread 2019

Day

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Do you mean cultural Marxism? Just asking as it's on my bingo card and I think I'm on for the house. 

No. Maybe you should have read the context of my post or some other ********. 

If you're playing bingo, maybe you're too old to vote Labour? 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Norman said:

Interesting concept I read today. 

Those who think this country is racist or full of a lot of racist people tend to do so because they class themselves as part of the cultural elite. 

It's a barrel of laughs on the Spiked Christmas website by the sound of it!

Signing off now for Xmas - back in the new year

All the best to my fellow Rams, whichever wing you fly down

x

49 minutes ago, Norman said:

Those who think this country is racist or full of a lot of racist people tend to do so because they class themselves as part of the cultural elite. 

And it's an easy way for them to think they are therefore different to the stupid electorate.

Bang on by the looks of this thread. 

I was saying just that to Giles at the ballet earlier this evening. He is a right Tory bigot mind.

What the funk does cultural elite even mean? Do they read books? Or reject books? Burn them even?

Surely us all following the Rams/Football makes us culturally similar. 

You white people just want to divide and rule.

4 hours ago, Norman said:

And it's an easy way for them to think they are therefore different to the stupid electorate.

Bang on by the looks of this thread. 

The Beani is a bit more cerebral than I recall. 

11 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I didn't read about those ones. I would hope the police would deal with any threat of violence the same, regardless of who is protesting. If they don't then they are not doing their job properly. 

You would hope so, wouldn’t you.. Sadly not the case in the real world.

I pulled the following (in italics) from @SchtivePesley in the Racism Thread on the Football Forum.

I don't want to comment on the bulk of the post as thats what the other thread is for (although I would argue with all of it if I could be bothered).  Its the final sentence that made me repost it in here however, especially given what we've bn talking about in here recently. 

To me at least, it looks like that he's trying to shame me into expressing more conformative opinions or push moderators into taking action against different opinions.  Ironic really as the poster continues to deny any sort of political correctness what-so-ever....

That doesn't surprise me - but the wikipedia page for racist incidents at football matches has more way more entries for 2019 than any other previous year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_association_football#United_Kingdom

As Gary Neville says - when the country elects a PM who has made racist comments in public and got away with it - what do we expect?

2 things

1) people feeling more relaxed about making openly racist comments

2) more people denying it's a problem. 

I find it very sad that there are so many people on this forum who want to seem to try and downplay racism at every turn.

If I were David I'd actually be embarassed to be hosting the views of such people

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

I think everyone on here needs to stop for a moment and read the posts that are being replied to in order to gain some context. 

Don’t be silly. Everyone needs to take everything literally and be outraged one way or the other.

Im middle of the road, I treat everyone equally as idiots ?

2 hours ago, smiths_tavrn said:

I wonder what Jezzer Corbyn thought to this mornings Queen's Speech.

He was too busy celebrating jeremy corbyn day silly.

On 24/12/2019 at 23:01, ariotofmyown said:

I was saying just that to Giles at the ballet earlier this evening. He is a right Tory bigot mind.

What the funk does cultural elite even mean? Do they read books? Or reject books? Burn them even?

Surely us all following the Rams/Football makes us culturally similar. 

You white people just want to divide and rule.

On a similar note, the people I debate against on here talk more sense than most on Derby matters. Possible consensus for 2020? Nah! 

US economy is booming. How does he do that? Is he the greatest president of all time as he has said? He said he will make America great again. He is doing that.

He hasn't started new wars like presidents down there usually do. He's friends with head figures in Russia, North Korea and Turkey. Isn't that great? Will he lead us all to peace?

Still I somehow don't fancy him. Must be because I don't have a twitter account.

Warning:  Russian sour grapes propaganda, about a war they lost already, admittedly brought to you by an American, but he's just a brainwashed commie, even if Communists haven't been in control of Russia since Soviet times, or ever and just because he quotes The Washington Post doesn't mean there's anything in it or the WP journalist hasn't been fired already for being an un-American Putin lovin commie bitch.

You really shouldn't, but if you play it, just repeat la la la la la la, I am not listening throughout and you can continue to blissfully exist in the great western La la land and remember, sure mistakes are made but we are ruled by the good guys and there's no such thing as the Military Industrial Complex.

Eisenhower was senile.

7 hours ago, ramit said:

Yep, they're doing great, The Federal Reserve is raking it in?

https://www.usdebtclock.org/

That is a pretty fascinating page, also this one comparing countries is good too https://www.usdebtclock.org/world-debt-clock.html

Who does everyone owe all the money too? Banks? Companies? Another country? Will this system collapse soon?

Argentina is interesting one. They have one of the better combinations of ratios of both public and external debt but I'm pretty sure their economy is screwed up.

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

That is a pretty fascinating page, also this one comparing countries is good too https://www.usdebtclock.org/world-debt-clock.html

Who does everyone owe all the money too? Banks? Companies? Another country? Will this system collapse soon?

Argentina is interesting one. They have one of the better combinations of ratios of both public and external debt but I'm pretty sure their economy is screwed up.

YouTube has some great videos that makes it easier to get your head around. 

I'd also check out the American University/college system and how their economy relies on it. 

And then think we adopted a similar approach after and are about 20 years behind their economic problems. 

6 minutes ago, Norman said:

YouTube has some great videos that makes it easier to get your head around. 

I'd also check out the American University/college system and how their economy relies on it. 

And then think we adopted a similar approach after and are about 20 years behind their economic problems. 

Cheers Norman. Unless it's just me, I'm pretty sure these things are not well understood by most people, yet we often claim to vote based on macro economics. 

The UK makes about $3.6 trillion per year has about the same amount of national debt. Think these numbers should be mentioned before every news report/comment/opinion just to put things into perspective!

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yes, also an interesting revealing page, i thought Greece was in bad shape, but woah, check out Nippon.

i saw a stand up comic address the world debt situation.  He came to the conclusion that every nation is in hopeless debt to some mysterious single entity and asked if we shouldn't just find that guy and kill him.

Seriously, though, running economies on steadily increasing debt can only end one way and we are probably nearing that cliff edge.

11 minutes ago, ramit said:

Yes, also an interesting revealing page, i thought Greece was in bad shape, but woah, check out Nippon

Japan is one of the world's top industrial economies and has a huge balance of payments surplus. Greece exports a bit of sheep's cheese and wine and has a huge balance of payments deficit. Japan can afford to run a large overdraft, Greece can't.

Archived