The Politics Thread 2019

Day

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If it's a pattern of people wrongly being labelled racist then it's nothing new, just that now it's the right wing media doing it, it will become an issue all of a sudden.

Always the victim, never the aggressors eh! It was a commentary on the power the Israelis have to influence elections outside of their own state but since that’s gone right over your head have a point for managing to portray the right as victims yet again. And you’ve been whining about the way the likes of Tommeh have been pirrrayed for years now so you’re talking nonsense even if you had grasped what I was inferring. 

Good to see you’ve taken me off ignore again matey! 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I see Bernie Sanders is now being attacked by various Jewish lobby groups. Apparently Bernie’s anti-Semitic and a racist now too. The right wing media is suddenly awash with such stories as yet again, expressing support for the Palestinians displaced by the illegal Israeli occupation of the West Bank is portrayed as racism as opposed to simply holding an opinion not shared by Netanyahu’s government. 

Put simply, one can openly criticise the Palestinians but the moment one questions the Israelis, one is immediately labelled a racist. 

Anyone else see a pattern developing?

https://forward.com/opinion/436814/of-course-theyre-calling-bernie-sanders-an-anti-semite-because-he-supports/

Yes only self appointed SJWs think they the sole right to call someone a racist.

48 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thought the joke might go over your head.

Cha, right. Did that sound convincing in your head?

On 20/12/2019 at 19:33, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Come old boy, be honest, you’ve been diane to talk abbot Abbot. 

22 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Glad to see we can turn into a joke now its racism against white people.

Noted.

ALSO NOTED 

Nice try though ???

Just now, smiths_tavrn said:

I'm totally opposed to the economic thoughts of Bernie Sanders but to accuse him of anti-antisemitism is ridiculous.  The guy is Jewish!!!!!! The only way he could be an anti-Semite would be if he was a self loather.

Absolutely. Criticising Netanyahu’s policies, is not anti-semitic, but watch this gather momentum nonetheless. It’s a disturbing trend to say the least. 

58 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

I'm totally opposed to the economic thoughts of Bernie Sanders but to accuse him of antisemitism is ridiculous.  The guy is Jewish!!!!!! The only way he could be an anti-Semite would be if he was a self loather.

You just described how it works. 

Any Jew who criticizes Zionism is called a self hating Jew and therefor an anti Semite.

22 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I wouldn't want racism rife in a political party that I support.

Robinson and Hopkins are very public figures, if they are racist I'm pretty sure that action would have been taken against them.

Can you please point me to a list of their convictions for racism. 

Once I've reviewed it I will make a more educated statement about all of these 'racists' flocking to the Conservatives.

Just for clarity by the way, I dont believe Diane Abbot is racist. I'm just keen to point out the hypocrisy and double standards that seem to be emerging more and more.

This could be the craziest thing you have ever posted.

You believe a criminal conviction is the only way to tell if a public figure is racist?

After all your bleating on and on about Diana Abbot, you don't actually think she is a racist?! She is your default position for most of your "whatabout" defences.

Maybe we need to understand your definition of racist. Is it "someone who organises and carries out a massacre against people of a different race, just because they are of a different race?"

Wikipedia gives this definition:

"Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another. It may also mean prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against other people because they are of a different race or ethnicity.  Modern variants of racism are often based in social perceptions of biological differences between peoples. These views can take the form of social actions, practices or beliefs, or political systems in which different races are ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other, based on presumed shared inheritable traits, abilities, or qualities."

Under this definition, Johnson falls down on some of these points. Abbot is ironically called a racist for pointing out that white people have fallen down on these points for centuries. Her main crime was to say white people are all like that, when it should have been "most".

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

This could be the craziest thing you have ever posted.

You believe a criminal conviction is the only way to tell if a public figure is racist?

After all your bleating on and on about Diana Abbot, you don't actually think she is a racist?! She is your default position for most of your "whatabout" defences.

Maybe we need to understand your definition of racist. Is it "someone who organises and carries out a massacre against people of a different race, just because they are of a different race?"

Wikipedia gives this definition:

"Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another. It may also mean prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against other people because they are of a different race or ethnicity.  Modern variants of racism are often based in social perceptions of biological differences between peoples. These views can take the form of social actions, practices or beliefs, or political systems in which different races are ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other, based on presumed shared inheritable traits, abilities, or qualities."

Under this definition, Johnson falls down on some of these points. Abbot is ironically called a racist for pointing out that white people have fallen down on these points for centuries. Her main crime was to say white people are all like that, when it should have been "most".

Not sure what is ironic about calling someone out on making a sweeping generalisation about a whole race of people based purely on the colour of their skin.

Johnson was called racist for the letterbox comment despite the fact that people of all races wear the niqab or burkha.

Think I know that an awful lot of people on here are never going to agree with my views on racism but personally I think the word is being watered down and has very little meaning anymore. It is often used when not appropriate and it is not consistently applied. Really it's just become a word to attack people with different views.

Just my opinion, feel free to attack it.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure what is ironic about calling someone out on making a sweeping generalisation about a whole race of people based purely on the colour of their skin.

Johnson was called racist for the letterbox comment despite the fact that people of all races wear the niqab or burkha.

Think I know that an awful lot of people on here are never going to agree with my views on racism but personally I think the word is being watered down and has very little meaning anymore. It is often used when not appropriate and it is not consistently applied. Really it's just become a word to attack people with different views.

Just my opinion, feel free to attack it.

I just love the idea that racism is literally just against the other 2 races. Hitler was a bad dude, but he wasn't a racist as Jews are caucasian too, and that is a very important distinction to make.

"Really it's just become a word to attack people with different views."

I think it's now become a label to give to people with derogatory views against groups of people based purely on where they come from/their ancestors come from. Like watermelon smiles, letterboxes etc. 

Thanks to political correctness, people who hold such ignorant views became ashamed of them and been a racist became a difficult thing.

Now, thanks to people like Johnson, Robinson, Hopkins etc, racists are becoming empowered again. They make sure their still controversial views are cloaked in supposed satire or are they are  just "defending traditional English values".

Thanks to social media, racists now have a way of amplifying their message of hate. They then play the race card when accused of racism because their freedom of speech has been questioned (even though they had been free to say what they want).

Obviously, the Brexit farce brought up lots of racist labelling. I think lots of Leave voters have been duped by racist politicians offering simple answers to complex problems.

We haven't lost of manufacturing jobs in working class towns because of EU immigration. It's because people in charge, people like Johnson, Farage and Mogg, could make more profit by getting kids in China to do the work. Profit over social cohesion.

As our country, we have lost our chance of stopping a disastrous Brexit. I fear a ramp up in racist rhetoric as our problems grow over the next few years. The people in charge always need someone to blame as they take yet more money for themselves.

Anyway enough about racists.....Can we move on to discussing who the labour front bencher might be that is being investigated for sexual assault?

Seems quite endemic right now in the labour party, they have a few of these going on dont they?

Seems this new one is a close ally of Jezza, but then doesnt seem a surprise he stood by him considering he was seen with his arm round another one recently supporting him despite an ongoing investigation.

Still innocent to proven guilty......although seems one rule for one and one for others as one is currently suspending pending trial.

22 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Obviously, the Brexit farce brought up lots of racist labelling. I think lots of Leave voters have been duped by racist politicians offering simple answers to complex problems.

I think lots of Remainers have been duped by politicians into believing that everyone voted Leave purely on immigration and racist tendencies.

We haven't lost of manufacturing jobs in working class towns because of EU immigration. It's because people in charge, people like Johnson, Farage and Mogg, could make more profit by getting kids in China to do the work. Profit over social cohesion.

If you put the loss of manufacturing jobs down to Johnson, Farage and Mogg I can only suggest you do a lot more research.

As our country, we have lost our chance of stopping a disastrous Brexit. I fear a ramp up in racist rhetoric as our problems grow over the next few years. The people in charge always need someone to blame as they take yet more money for themselves.

A disastrous Brexit based on what exactly? Crystal ball gazing?

I  fear a ramp up in claims of racism against Leave voters as Remainers look to blame absolutely anything bad that ever happens on the vote to leave the EU.

Lets be honest - all Tories are racists.

They hate everyone apart from their snooty little privileged clique. 

They want to exploit others in order to maintain their strangle hold on power. 

The only people they respect are the very rich, the Epstein’s and the aristocracy. 

Someone had to say it. 

40 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I see you didn't respond to my points about the precise definitions of what racism actually is and are waste of time and just ways to take debates off track. Fair play if you now realise this and preferred to drop the issue.

I didn't mean Farage Mogg etc personally. People like them who hold the same sort of ultra capitalist views of profit before literally everything.

Here is what Ken Clarke says about Brexit and Johnson...

“Governing the country is more than going around saying, ‘Oooh, 2020 is going to be a golden year, and we’re going to be global Britain,’” he said. “At the moment we’ve got a stagnant, fragile economy, an angry, discontented population. It’s a very dangerous world out there in many, many ways.”

Clarke said Johnson’s policy vagueness was particularly acute on Brexit: “I could never get out of Boris – and nobody so far could get out of Boris – what he has in mind for the eventual deal. To say they’re generalities is an understatement.

“It’s not good sitting alongside the people who’ve been mandated by 27 other governments and just saying your aim is to be global Britain. They’ll say, ‘What are we going to do about nuclear safeguarding in Euratom?’”

Johnson had no policy on social care, the most pressing domestic issue, or on skills training and education, Clarke said.

Woohoo finally found a good reason for brexit. Researchers have claimed that British sausages are less likely to cause cancer than EU sausages.

Damn just remembered brexiteers told us that we shouldn't believe what experts say.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

personally I think the word is being watered down and has very little meaning anymore

https://news.sky.com/story/stormzy-says-uk-is-definitely-racist-and-boris-johnson-has-made-it-worse-11892070

To be fair - we should probably listen to people who are victims of racism. If they believe it exists then we should not question their perception. 

I have never been subject to racism, and i suspect the demographic of this forum is largely also white males like me who have never been subject to it either. 

Archived