The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

You said we should be listening to people that have been victims of racism?

She made a racist remark about all white people.

You said we should be listening  to people that have been victims of racism?

Did you mean it or did you mean we should only listen to people that have been victims of racism as defined by you?

You said what she said wasn't racist earlier on. Now you are a victim. Snowflake!

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

If you think you speak on behalf of people that have been victims of racism though I think you are misguided.

No - I simply said we should let those who have been victims of racism speak for themselves. And listen to them. That's all

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

You're just a hypocrite and any time your hypocrisy gets called out you try and deflect the conversation away and make it personal

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

8 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

https://news.sky.com/story/stormzy-says-uk-is-definitely-racist-and-boris-johnson-has-made-it-worse-11892070

To be fair - we should probably listen to people who are victims of racism. If they believe it exists then we should not question their perception. 

I have never been subject to racism, and i suspect the demographic of this forum is largely also white males like me who have never been subject to it either. 

My mate had a proper pasting in St Peters street years ago for being in a pub wearing a Republic of Ireland shirt during the 2002 world cup .  Next time I see him I'll remind him that the three blokes calling him an Irish bar steward and putting him in the ICU for two days were a figment of his imagination as he is white. 

9 hours ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Thanks for re-enforcing my point on semantics of racism.

I've never felt I couldn't say something because of political correctness. I can't think of a situation when I would be unable to say something I wanted too because of political correctness. If this has ever happened to you, please give me an example.

This is why I'm confused about the phrase "political correctness gone mad", let alone the "cultural marxism" blowback which allows the likes of Hopkins to say she hoped refugees drowned, or Johnson to use the phrase "watermelon smiles", or Tom Robinson to do that motorway song.

Not sure where I've said that Brexiteers have a monopoly on racism. I actually said that I think lots of leave voters have been duped by racist politicians who offered simple solutions to difficult problems. Whilst also been let down, I don't think any Remain politicians were racist in anyway. Please give examples if you disagree.

I guess one bad thing about outsourcing jobs to places with few worker's rights is when you get desperate letters hidden in Christmas cards from prisoners. Worker's rights were hard fought for in this country, so outsourcing to poorer countries means that people of the same ilk as Johnson, Mogg etc can exploit the foreign worker. Who cares though, as long as we can have cheaper stuff? Who cares about the environmental impact too of shipping cheap good we can easily make ourselves?

Making things is a valuable skill and exporting them makes a good economy.  Manufacturing has been sold down the river whilst banks are always bailed out for way more money than industry ever needed.

We need something to rely on as the UK economy moves backwards after Brexit, which it will unfortunately do, especially with the current set of clueless people in charge. Johnson, Gove, Rabb, Javid, Patel etc are really a dire lot. And that is the opinion of most experienced Tories who have been deserting the party in droves.

Who needs a plan when you can just rely on some good old fashioned English optimism though? The sort of optimism gained from having a lifetime of everything given to you on a plate.

19 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

My mate had a proper pasting in St Peters street years ago for being in a pub wearing a Republic of Ireland shirt during the 2002 world cup .  Next time I see him I'll remind him that the three blokes calling him an Irish bar steward and putting him in the ICU for two days were a figment of his imagination as he is white. 

The people who beat him up were black yeah? Or Chinese?

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

The people who beat him up were black yeah? Or Chinese?

What has that got to do with anything.  I do have another friend who was attacked by a gang of Asian lads in Normanton park and called some unsavoury names if that fit's your rhetoric better. That was probably a mistake though as he has 10 years training in Thai kick boxing .  Try getting off that horse sometime, it's looking a bit high .

17 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

What has that got to do with anything.  I do have another friend who was attacked by a gang of Asian lads in Normanton park and called some unsavoury names if that fit's your rhetoric better. That was probably a mistake though as he has 10 years training in Thai kick boxing .  Try getting off that horse sometime, it's looking a bit high .

Well, you were replying to a post that said most of us on here are probably white and have not experienced much racism.

You then implied that the unfortunate assault suffered by your white irish mate somehow proved this wrong, when it's clearly an outlier against an obvious trend.

Some posters on here are very particular on their definitions of racism, so I was curious if your friend's assault was committed by people of a different race or by fellow caucasians.

I do personally class your example as a racist attack, but it will be very important for some people to tell you that it wasn't a racist attack. They will also say the same about the attack in Normanton Park, if I assume your Thai kickboxing mate was caucasian too.

I imagine they won't be too bothered about the semantics of racism in your examples though as it is usually reserved to defend the like of Johnson when he mocks other Muslim caucasians, or to condem the horrific black-on-white racism of Diane Abbot.

2 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

2nd time I've posted Ken Clarke's comments today. Scary stuff....

“Governing the country is more than going around saying, ‘Oooh, 2020 is going to be a golden year, and we’re going to be global Britain,’” he said. “At the moment we’ve got a stagnant, fragile economy, an angry, discontented population. It’s a very dangerous world out there in many, many ways.”

Clarke said Johnson’s policy vagueness was particularly acute on Brexit: “I could never get out of Boris – and nobody so far could get out of Boris – what he has in mind for the eventual deal. To say they’re generalities is an understatement.

“It’s not good sitting alongside the people who’ve been mandated by 27 other governments and just saying your aim is to be global Britain. They’ll say, ‘What are we going to do about nuclear safeguarding in Euratom?’”

Johnson had no policy on social care, the most pressing domestic issue, or on skills training and education, Clarke said.

19 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I would still like to know a scenario where political correctness prevents you from saying what you want. I can't think of any examples from my own life. Thank you for saying I am politically correct though, even though it requires no effort on my part to use words that don't offend others, regardless of my intentions. It's a minor thing to do.

You are right that you did not say that any Remain politicians are racist. Likewise I did not label Brexit supporters as racist, just they had been duped by racist politicians. I do think some Brexit supporters are racist though, in fact I know some who are, but I have not met a racist Remainer yet. Maybe some proper racist Remainers voted that way to keep us full of white europeans rather than darker people from outside Europe?!

And I think I'd rather work in a rice field than in a prison workhouse, but each to their own. And I don't think we can afford to allow poorer countries to improve worker's rights. Luckily Johnson has plans to reduce ours more down to their level. 

13 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Well, you were replying to a post that said most of us on here are probably white and have not experienced much racism.

You then implied that the unfortunate assault suffered by your white irish mate somehow proved this wrong, when it's clearly an outlier against an obvious trend.

Some posters on here are very particular on their definitions of racism, so I was curious if your friend's assault was committed by people of a different race or by fellow caucasians.

I do personally class your example as a racist attack, but it will be very important for some people to tell you that it wasn't a racist attack. They will also say the same about the attack in Normanton Park, if I assume your Thai kickboxing mate was caucasian too.

I imagine they won't be too bothered about the semantics of racism in your examples though as it is usually reserved to defend the like of Johnson when he mocks other Muslim caucasians, or to condem the horrific black-on-white racism of Diane Abbot.

I was actually replying to a post stating most of us on here are probably white and have experienced no racism. Quite a difference. 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Did the Bamfords get done for it?

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I was actually replying to a post stating most of us on here are probably white and have experienced no racism. Quite a difference. 

"I have never been subject to racism, and i suspect the demographic of this forum is largely also white males like me who have never been subject to it either. "

I also suspect that most of us on here are white males that have not be subject to racism.

I also suspect there are a minority of white males on here who have experienced racism. I don't think your examples change this.

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Did the Bamfords get done for it?

No did a runner and never caught .  This is often the case though.  Got quite a tonking myself playing the knight in shining armour about 25 years ago rescuing a girl who being knocked around by her bloke on Gower street years ago.  His mates piled in on me, then she got up off the floor and started pulling my hair for hurting her lovely fella.  I'd have laughed if my jaw hadn't needed wiring .

2 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Johnson isn't superman 

Nope, and if you want pressing domestic issues to be top of the agenda, you shouldn't delay Brexit by any means necessary and you should try to form a formidable opposition front bench to hold the government accountable. 

This country deserves better. 

10 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

"I have never been subject to racism, and i suspect the demographic of this forum is largely also white males like me who have never been subject to it either. "

I also suspect that most of us on here are white males that have not be subject to racism.

I also suspect there are a minority of white males on here who have experienced racism. I don't think your examples change this.

This point in bold. The previous post I was referring to advised most of us on here are probably white and have experienced no racism. You seem to be agreeing with me or reading it differently to me.

36 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

I find that surprising. The only pub I can think of on St Peters Street is Ryans Bar and that's an Irish pub. 

Spot on. It was. Saturday morning if I recall rightly and just at the entrance as he was leaving.   Obviously most  ROI fans use the Irish centre or back then at least the Drill Hall. I've only been in Ryans twice in the all the year's it's been there so don't know if it's an Irish pub or just an Irish named pub. These ********* had obviously taken it as some sort of offence that a few ROI fans had taken it upon themselves to use the pub and had gone down to re-stake there claim by any means required. 

Incidentally, the pub used to be what's left of Anthony Babingtons townhouse, Mary Queen of Scots stayed there once.  The main part of the house was demolished and he was executed when his plot to put her on the throne was discovered .

4 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Can you clarify who exactly Diane Abbots comment was aimed at then please?

Its met your definition of racism and it was aimed at white people, so I'd suggest every white person on here was subject to racism in that instance.

Back in the day me and a mate got attacked for having the audacity to walk through the wrong room in the Pink Coconut, our crime? That room wasnt for white boys apparently. 

Archived