The Politics Thread 2019

Day

26 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Japan is one of the world's top industrial economies and has a huge balance of payments surplus. Greece exports a bit of sheep's cheese and wine and has a huge balance of payments deficit. Japan can afford to run a large overdraft, Greece can't.

Their debt is 4 times their GDP, have a higher debt than China and 1/10 their population, by far the highest public debt to GDP ratio,

yep they're doing swimmingly

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Banks, companies, pension funds, the general public, whoever owns the debt is who they owe it to. I'm surprised you need to ask that question.  Not a lot of people know this but one of the biggest owners of UK government debt is the Bank of England.

Here's the figures from 2017

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/1407/economics/who-owns-government-debt/

Who owns the Bank of England?

Just looked it up...it's the UK government apparently.

4 hours ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Japan doesn't have a balance of payments surplus. I'm afraid there's too many people on here just making stuff up.

https://commodity.com/debt-clock/japan/

Japan's current account surplus in October 2019 was 1732 billion yen. That is not"made up".

https://www.japanmacroadvisors.com/page/category/economic-indicators/international-balance/balance-of-payment/

16 hours ago, Cisse said:

US economy is booming. How does he do that? Is he the greatest president of all time as he has said? He said he will make America great again. He is doing that.

He hasn't started new wars like presidents down there usually do. He's friends with head figures in Russia, North Korea and Turkey. Isn't that great? Will he lead us all to peace?

Still I somehow don't fancy him. Must be because I don't have a twitter account.

Is he ?

How much is he responsible for the economy and how much is just a continuation of the boom that was underway at the end of the Obama presidency?  I'm not the person to answer that really.  He is fiscally speaking very un-Republican, at least traditional Republican, in that he is anti free trade and clearly favours huge borrowing and a spiraling national debt.   Socially, he is giving the conservative Republican voters what they want however...and that is surely bolstering his support base.

I wouldn't say he hasn't started any wars to the Kurds in Syria who are getting bombed by the Turks.  That's all down to Trump.....well...and Erdogan!

21 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

And people doubted Farage's intentions. 

Kind of feel sorry for the people who fell for his lies and donated money. But then again, it is very funny. 

23 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

And people doubted Farage's intentions. 

Kind of feel sorry for the people who fell for his lies and donated money. But then again, it is very funny. 

There’ll be plenty saying it’s all good, he deserves his peerage and the few extra mill he now has sat in some offshore account. It’s a strange old world we live in. 

4 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Waffle, waffle Antifa... I think that’s how it goes.

EF449B45-46DC-43EA-9E98-AD7974A633EA.jpeg

Using the same tactics as antifa.

People have lost their jobs in the past and been attacked when antifa and their mates have contacted companies with pictures of people at right wing marches. They're all as bad as each other.

Just now, ossieram said:

Using the same tactics as antifa.

People have lost their jobs in the past and been attacked when antifa and their mates have contacted companies with pictures of people at right wing marches. They're all as bad as each other.

Yes, it's bad when you can't go about your normal business of spreading hate and threatening violence on minorities without having your employer told what an unpleasant character you are and maybe your values don't fit with their business. Surely people should be allowed to put on a suit and tie and play at being human beings between 9am and 5pm, and allowed to be despicable racists the rest of the time?

I mean, exposing someone's real values to the world and them then being judged based on them, that's just not fair. Bloody "Antifa". Or, as we used to call them, normal people.

18 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Yes, it's bad when you can't go about your normal business of spreading hate and threatening violence on minorities without having your employer told what an unpleasant character you are and maybe your values don't fit with their business. Surely people should be allowed to put on a suit and tie and play at being human beings between 9am and 5pm, and allowed to be despicable racists the rest of the time?

I mean, exposing someone's real values to the world and them then being judged based on them, that's just not fair. Bloody "Antifa". Or, as we used to call them, normal people.

If you class antifa as "normal people" I'd hate to mix with the people in your circle.

Antifa are just as bad as the far right morons, it's just that the left will never admit it.

Just now, ossieram said:

If you class antifa as "normal people" I'd hate to mix with the people in your circle.

Antifa are just as bad as the far right morons, it's just that the left will never admit it.

What is wrong with telling an employer that their employee is an organised far right member and attends rallies?

Just now, GboroRam said:

Until the demonization of holding a position of opposing fascism. That's now anti "freedom of speech", or "freedom to be racist"

Its nothing to do with demonizing opposing facism its more to do with being dressing head to toe in black and violently disrupting mainstream speakers that they oppose or results of democratic elections.   They are equally as bad as those they oppose in a lot of ways.

3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Until the demonization of holding a position of opposing fascism. That's now anti "freedom of speech", or "freedom to be racist"

I'm sorry pal, but you either haven't seen antifa in action, or just think because they oppose certain racist actions, that all their other actions are forgivable.

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Its nothing to do with demonizing opposing facism its more to do with being dressing head to toe in black and violently disrupting mainstream speakers that they oppose or results of democratic elections.   They are equally as bad as those they oppose in a lot of ways.

Ossieram wasn't criticising people doing that, but notifying employers that their staff attend far right rallies. Is that as bad as fascism?

3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

What is wrong with telling an employer that their employee is an organised far right member and attends rallies?

Nothing at all, as long as they have actually checked to make sure that person is a far right member and not somebody that has attended a rally organised by football lads or veterans organisations to oppose gangs grooming young girls or the hate preaching of people like Anjem Coudrey.

If i knew somebody I worked with was a far right nazi, I would report them, just as I would if I knew they suported a terrorist organisation.

Archived