Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BaaLocks said:

They are to me...

Adorable.

Although, I know plenty of fans of other teams who all think so too, so I don't think it's a mad opinion.

I know rivals like to say otherwise, but all of our rivals are in the same boat too. 

25 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I'm not convinced we are a sleeping giant - look through the list of clubs outside the Premiership and you could easily argue a case for about twenty of them feeling they should be a top flight team. And that's not counting the likes of Wimbledon, Notts County, Luton, Preston, Hull, Swindon, Blackpool, Milwall or Oxford. But - off the top of my head - we're in the same place as Coventry, Stoke, Portsmouth, Swansea, Middlesborough, Sunderland, Leeds, Blackburn, QPR, West Brom, Sheff Wed, Birmingham and many more. The truth is, the Premiership is not big enough to fit all the teams who want to believe they can be there.

As for those who are old enough to remember the good times we are a little tainted from the other angle. We remember European nights, League titles, British club record fees, Player of the Year, four Derby players in the England side, all that sort of stuff. But it was a magical and short window that - while glorious to witness - was not really representative of our history. The Bald Eagle era was fantastic but we never challenged for a single trophy in that time. Derby have been throughout our history a largely top, occasionally second tier, club that have only sporadically moved either side of that zone.

So, we're not a tinpot club but we're also not missed at the top table. I'd love to be back there but I also don't get somehow chippy at being disrespected or under valued. Great club, great fans, great everything but my great club.

BTW - sweeping not personal, but anyone who watches Sky Sports News deserves everything they get. It is the plant on Little Shop of Horrors, fed and fed but never satisfied.

We have a strong fan base which depends on what year you look at for average attendances and would put us in the top tier for supported clubs in the country for physical attendance to home games. 4th In the Championship last year (unusually behind Florist!):-

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/GB2/saison_id/2018

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/derc.htm - full history

And certainly better supported by than quite a few in the premiership, and we would pass others with some stability in the top division if we could stay there in my opinion. I would class us as a large club with potential for growth as we are a one club city and represent the county. Success attracts support, check out Chelsea's record:-

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/chls.htm

Big attendances with success, poor attendance in the 70's and 80's, and these are still no where near close to the real big clubs in London (i.e Arsenal and Spurs).

6 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

From 1/20

C3BC9356-E057-4F72-AD79-98EF19D866DD.png

Why is it every time I see Luis Enrique's name I start singing this

Would you dance if I asked you to dance
Or would you run and never look back
Would you cry if you saw me crying
And would you save my soul tonight

Would you tremble if I touched your lips
Or would you laugh? Oh, please tell me this
Now would you die for the one you love
Oh hold me in your arms tonight

34 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I'm more referring to being a founding member, and being present in the top division for the vast majority of our history. 

What you're describing would be a "huge" club, or a "giant". Which we are, clearly, not.

As was said in another thread we've only been in the top flight for about 30 seasons since ww2. Bar the worst season in our history we have basically been in the second tier for almost 20 seasons now. And Notts County were a founding member as well - doesnt make them a big club. Cant really blame people for not thinking we are a big club after recent years. 

Although we are 17th in the champions of england table with 2 wins and 3 runner ups and we do have good support, but it means nothing whilst we are wallowing away in the Championship.

23 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Oh I agree with everything you say there. I realise now my post implies that the "sleeping giant" tag might be valid outside of the context of the past two decades which I don't believe.

But I do believe we're a "big" club.

I think over the history of football in England, if you were to tier the teams, it would obviously depend on how many clubs you put in a tier (I'd say 15 or so in the top one, probably more in the next) but I feel like in most cases Derby would be in that second group - and that makes them a "big" club when you consider there's hundreds of clubs below them vs the 15-20 (up to 30 if you're cynical I suppose) above them.

If you go by the metric of all-time points won in the top flight, we're about 16th so your tiering is about right. There's obviously a lot of other factors but that's about as good as it gets statistically when it comes to these sorts of discussions.

According to the DET FL is still away on holiday, so cant imagine this will be sorted very soon, at least till he is back, Holidays normally end at weekends, so I await for more dribble from the press.  we might even beat the record off 400 plus pages at this rate. lol

9 minutes ago, LazloW said:

You would think Enrique would be a more attractive option, but if he has left Spain ‘for personal reasons’ then seems unlikely that he would be looking for a club job.  

"Personal reasons" being his entire family have just emigrated to West London, leaving him no choice but to take the Chelsea job, which is rightfully his.

Look, there's a genuine internet article which all but confirms Chelsea's interest in Luis Enrique... by lazily connecting the dots.

www.definitelytrue.com

Archived