Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

6 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Harry owns a property next door to Mels, if I was Mel first thing id do is have a shat right on Harry's door step.

Gus Poyet for manager? 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Charlie Dram said:

Lot more to that than a simple sacking.

Fell on his sword.

ITK on that one.

But not saying anymore. 

Promised I wouldn't so I won't.

Nigel possibly let rip at Sam on the team coach on way home from Forest ....?

How's that .... WOULD the above break your promise if you liked my comment.....????

It always seemed likely that there was a gentlemans agreement to allow frank to talk to chelsea if they ever came in for him. no-one really expected events to unfold as they have after just one season. And its impossible to turn down the opportunity etc etc.

but.....

i am still left feeling a bit disappointed in frank. 

The opening question at the last forum by @Ellafella was "what if a certain London club came in for you?" And frank stated his commitment to Derby. 

It would be nice if we had a manager who was indeed committed to the 'project' for longer than the minimum duration; rebuilding the team; having a longer term commitment to the players they sign; helping to develop the academy prospects; but maybe thats wishing for too much.

Thats three managers now who have pursued their own individual ambitions at the first available opportunity. Maybe the reputation for sacking people is a factor which is coming back to haunt us.

I do wonder whether something happened between Leeds away and wembley. In the run in to the season frank seemed absolutely determined and focussed. But in the immediate build up to wembley that determination to win was replaced with the talk about being just happy to be in the final? Maybe by then he already knew of Chelsea's potential interest and Sarri's likely departure. Something seemed slightly different to me, but maybe i'm imagining that. 

his departure now leaves us with a massive challenge to find the right new man at very short notice.

The players will be deflated, and the fans disappointed. Can't help envying Villa with their new signings and their bid for a very good striker, whilst we go back to square one. Mel will have to be pragmatic but it will be difficult to bounce back after he finally seemed to have found his man. 

Can't help feeling somewhat jilted. 

He hasn’t gone anywhere yet! 

We all knew the Lampard as manager was going to be a high publicity appointment which would end up either a disaster or very good - and if Chelsea wanted him at some point should mean it’s been a successful appointment which it has been so far in many aspects

logic says he may never be asked again but Chelsea average a new manager every 18 months which is a long time at Chelsea and if he was truly honest with himself he may see that they want him as a ‘sticking plaster’ whilst they wait for Allegri and they get past their transfer ban - now he could be a huge success but what does that mean at Chelsea? 

14 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I hope whatever news is coming will break this morning. Otherwise it’s going to be a long day. There’s going to be a lot of refreshing this thread. 

I think Frank will be joining Chelsea, the odds are massively stacked against us at least.

I think any delay will be down to Mel trying to thrash out the best deal he can for Derby. So they will be giving us 4 mil for Frank, what about Jody and Shay...I bet Mel will be trying to guarantee us a couple of loans from a decent pool of players that our news potential manager can choose from, as compensation for Jody and Shay.

6 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I think Frank will be joining Chelsea, the odds are massively stacked against us at least.

I think any delay will be down to Mel trying to thrash out the best deal he can for Derby. So they will be giving us 4 mil for Frank, what about Jody and Shay...I bet Mel will be trying to guarantee us a couple of loans from a decent pool of players that our news potential manager can choose from, as compensation for Jody and Shay.

I wouldn’t want you in my trench 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

It always seemed likely that there was a gentlemans agreement to allow frank to talk to chelsea if they ever came in for him. no-one really expected events to unfold as they have after just one season. And its impossible to turn down the opportunity etc etc.

but.....

i am still left feeling a bit disappointed in frank. 

The opening question at the last forum by @Ellafella was "what if a certain London club came in for you?" And frank stated his commitment to Derby. 

It would be nice if we had a manager who was indeed committed to the 'project' for longer than the minimum duration; rebuilding the team; having a longer term commitment to the players they sign; helping to develop the academy prospects; but maybe thats wishing for too much.

Thats three managers now who have pursued their own individual ambitions at the first available opportunity. Maybe the reputation for sacking people is a factor which is coming back to haunt us.

I do wonder whether something happened between Leeds away and wembley. In the run in to the season frank seemed absolutely determined and focussed. But in the immediate build up to wembley that determination to win was replaced with the talk about being just happy to be in the final? Maybe by then he already knew of Chelsea's potential interest and Sarri's likely departure. Something seemed slightly different to me, but maybe i'm imagining that. 

his departure now leaves us with a massive challenge to find the right new man at very short notice.

The players will be deflated, and the fans disappointed. Can't help envying Villa with their new signings and their bid for a very good striker, whilst we go back to square one. Mel will have to be pragmatic but it will be difficult to bounce back after he finally seemed to have found his man. 

Can't help feeling somewhat jilted. 

Why not wait until he’s actually left to feel disappointed?

I have a theory on this...

From the very outset everything about FL's time at Derby had been pretty well stage managed by his PR firm. Even his original announcement was done in conjunction with his PR firm.

His career was largely based on hard work, honesty and loyalty. That was his 'brand' so to speak. 

Here he is in a new part of his career with, if he wants, probably a further 20 years of management ahead of him.

Realistically he probably sees that he has 2 or maybe 3 big jobs ahead of him. Clearly he will want to manage Chelsea. I also suspect he has his eye on the Englad job at some point. Perhaps as a sort of swansong to his career. The guy has plans. He may also want to challenge himself managing abroad at some point. One of the big clubs such as Madrid, Barca, Juve. 

So he now, probably, has a decision to make after year one of a potential 20 year managerial career.

The next job you can see him doing is clearly Chelsea but people are talking about that job like it comes up once every 10 years. The amount of change in the game tells you that's not going to happen and realistically the role comes up every 2 years at the longest. 

He would also be going to take over a side that finished 3rd and won the European cup and got to a cup final. The transfer ban is a bit of a red herring. Yes Hazard has gone. But they have also spent the best part of €70millon on Pulisic to replace him. So all this....he's going to get time, he'll have to integrate kids etc etc is just rubbish. He will have to finish 3rd, progress to the Champions League Groups and win a domestic competition to consider it a success. 

Frank is a bright guy. Career wise. PR wise and football wise.

So expect Frank to sign an improved contract with the Rams over the next couple of days and speak highly of the opportunity Derby gave him to build his career, his desire to repay that.

A manager can't jump ship after 12 months and then, at any point in his future career, bemoan the lack of loyalty towards managers.

So here is FL's opportunity to be a hero, a role model and set is stall out in management early.

Time will tell....this could age terribly...but I have a strong suspicion that it won't 

To be honest, if Lampard leaves now it will not be the end of the world. He had an decent first season but let’s not run away with the idea that’s he’s the Messiah. There are other managers out there with more experience at this level and who can build teams that will compete with the best this division has to offer. I find it a little bit embarrassing that some fans are acting as though it’s the end of the world. If he chooses not to honour his contract with us then so be it. Our club is bigger than any one manager, regardless of who they are. 

33 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I read the other day from one of the many journalists commentating on what is at the moment still speculation that Derby had compensation clauses in Jody Morris,Shay Given,and Chris Jones contracts.Thoses clauses were  up to a couple of millions for Jody and slightly  less for the other two.

9 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

From the very outset everything about FL's time at Derby had been pretty well stage managed by his PR firm. Even his original announcement was done in conjunction with his PR firm.

His career was largely based on hard work, honesty and loyalty. That was his 'brand' so to speak. 

Here he is in a new part of his career with, if he wants, probably a further 20 years of management ahead of him.

Realistically he probably sees that he has 2 or maybe 3 big jobs ahead of him. Clearly he will want to manage Chelsea. I also suspect he has his eye on the Englad job at some point. Perhaps as a sort of swansong to his career. The guy has plans. He may also want to challenge himself managing abroad at some point. One of the big clubs such as Madrid, Barca, Juve. 

So he now, probably, has a decision to make after year one of a potential 20 year managerial career.

The next job you can see him doing is clearly Chelsea but people are talking about that job like it comes up once every 10 years. The amount of change in the game tells you that's not going to happen and realistically the role comes up every 2 years at the longest. 

He would also be going to take over a side that finished 3rd and won the European cup and got to a cup final. The transfer ban is a bit of a red herring. Yes Hazard has gone. But they have also spent the best part of €70millon on Pulisic to replace him. So all this....he's going to get time, he'll have to integrate kids etc etc is just rubbish. He will have to finish 3rd, progress to the Champions League Groups and win a domestic competition to consider it a success. 

So expect Frank to sign an improved contract with the Rams over the next couple of days and speak highly of the opportunity Derby gave him to build his career, his desire to repay that.

A manager can't jump ship after 12 months and then, at any point in his future career, bemoan the lack of loyalty towards managers.

So here is FL's opportunity to be a hero, a role model and set is stall out in management early.

Time will tell....this could age terribly...but I have a strong suspicion that it won't 

Too good to be true but I believe it anyway! 

3 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

I read the other day from one of the many journalists commentating on what is at the moment still speculation that Derby had compensation clauses in Jody Morris,Shay Given,and Chris Jones contracts.Thoses clauses were  up to a couple of millions for Jody and slightly  less for the other two.

He is a wise old fox is Mr Mel Morris.

14 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Well said ... my sentiments entirely and what I was trying to say with my posts yesterday but made a bit of a hash of it and got a bit of flack as a result ... doh ?

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Isn't he quite a mate of his.  Have they ran out of ex team mates now .  They had gone as far back as Ruud Guillit earlier .  Not sure he even played with Lampard.

Not sure if you're seen it or not, but it's only fair to put into context, Niall Horan played in the soccer aid game at Stamford Bridge and was being interviewed by Moose (Ian Abraham - Talksport) afterwards, the interview starts off talking about the game and the nerves of playing Vs playing in front of massive crowds, then the interview drifts into whether Niall had got over the Play Off final result. The he was inevitably asked about Lampard. I think he handles it quite well and is certainly NOT sticking his oar in.

Archived