Preston North End vs Derby County Matchday Thread

RadioactiveWaste

Just now, Smyth_18 said:

How in any possible way is Bennett your scapegoat in that game?

He’s not good enough at this level, the rose tinted glasses just because he’s from Derbyshire make me laugh. Not a scapegoat for today, but he shouldn’t be near the match day squad.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Defensive masterclass today.Keogh outstanding. Roos and Tomori did their bit too.

Midfield is the issue. Hopefully King can come in and make a difference.

Defensive master class? They had about 25 attempts at goal! Our 2 centre backs had good games but over all as a defensive unit we were woeful.

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Have you noticed that when we head the ball it goes to the opposition 80% of the time?

So many times we flicked the ball aimlessly or played a teammate into trouble.

Bryson is a waste of a shirt. He is Nugentin midfield, running around without getting anywhere. Evans is Mr Bland. Crying out for Huddlestone and King can’t get fit quick enough. 

Toothless up front without Marriott. Lawrence played for them.

Tomori and Keogh played well but if they had any forwards we would have shipped a hatful through our sloppiness.

Fair play to Roos. I thought he did well tonight.

Agree with this. 

Anyone who can't see we needed Huddlestone on the pitch is totally deluded.  His composure was desperately needed. Gone was the neat, swift interchange of early season....just launching it to Nugent who was not able to get to the ball, never mind fashion a chance out of thin air.  

Center backs and keeper get 8/10.

Wilson 8/10 for giving us a chance of winning the 3 points. 

Rest....5 or 6 out of 10. Worrying performance.  

Yet again, midfield balance all wrong - completely invisible second half. Love to see how many touches Bryson, Wilson and Evans had between them in the last 45.

Evans looks like a youth team player who’s been thrown in - never seems to be in the right place, doesn’t want the ball unless under no pressure whatsoever. Not sure at all what he brings to the team.

1 minute ago, TexasRam said:

He’s not good enough at this level, the rose tinted glasses just because he’s from Derbyshire make me laugh. Not a scapegoat for today, but he shouldn’t be near the match day squad.

Whilst I don't disagree with the first bit, his performances this year have been generally ok. His cameo's especially. He gives us a bit more pace and power when we're under the cosh than Zoony so worth a spot on the bench when we're down to the bare bones IMO. 

We were absolute rubbish, as was the ref. I'm really surprised he didn't give them a penalty at the end.

The problem was we were out-muscled again.

Malone is the worst left back I've ever seen; he's a left-sided mid come winger. Holmes is clearly not a right-back, Evans would have been a better bet (but today he was largely anonymous in midfield) and Holmes' energy used in midfield. Wilson and Lawrence would be great playing behind the central striker, but they don't work hard enough, or don't have the ability to retain possession in the midfield.

The only positive from the game, apart from Keogh's performance, was the point.

Wow , how poor were some of our players tonight. Thought Keogh and Tomori were immense , Holmes coped well playing out of position. Evans was a passenger , Nugent non exsistant , and Lawerence was Lawerence absolute dross . 

Wisdom came on and did his best to give game away. 

Frank you’ve got a lot to do , best of luck.

12 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

In all seriousness though, we were alright. Clearly lacking a calm head in midfield to put his foot on the ball and an actual right back would be nice. We started to get back into it with 3 at the back, but still not enough up front. Lawrence very poor.

Well...there is Tom Huddlestone, arguably the best passer in the league who was sat on the bench? And couldn't get on despite the fact we didn't string 2 passes together in 45 mins. Y

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It's not without its promising performances, it's just a shame that the majority were from defensive players. We went into that game completely banged up, so to get a point is huge. We can only focus on what we can do. 

Keogh, Tomori, Evans and Roos were very good for me and earnt that point between them. I also thought it was Wilson's best all round performance in a Derby shirt. 

I thought Evans played well too. Positioning was good, closing down was good. Passing was better than most.

Bryson and Lawrence's only offerings was the ball to Preston. Must be incredibly frustrating for Evans and Wilson to play around them at the moment.

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Ridiculous hyperbole considering we had MacDonald on the bench tonight. Can you seriously tell me you think Nugent offers more than Bennett?

Am I the only one really happy with our defensive display? Keogh, Tomori, Roos and even Wisdom when he was on positionally we’re very very good. It’s not stuff you notice all the time but their 21 attempts to 3 shots on targets stat isn’t just about their lack of quality, but it’s Derby’s ability to close angles. There’s not been enough of that this season, tonight they were excellent

Archived