Watchable telly

dog

1 hour ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Was painfully unfunny nonetheless imo.

That's 100% subjective.

I found it hilarious because it was so ridiculous.

A lot of Gervais's  humor is based on the absurd and seemingly inappropriate, like the Nazi's failing to find Anne Frank when sharks would have.

Do you like his stand up? Because it's full of stuff like that and some of it is far more edgy. 

In fact, his entire persona is like that and he often rants about people not being able to see the funny side of things, which is why I like him. 

27 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

That's 100% subjective.

I found it hilarious because it was so ridiculous.

A lot of Gervais's  humor is based on the absurd and seemingly inappropriate, like the Nazi's failing to find Anne Frank when sharks would have.

Do you like his stand up? Because it's full of stuff like that and some of it is far more edgy. 

In fact, his entire persona is like that and he often rants about people not being able to see the funny side of things, which is why I like him. 

Yes it is subjective, hence ‘imo’.

I don’t mind his stand up, went to watch his Humanity show in Nottingham and enjoyed it.

As for the sitcoms he does, I think the only things of real quality he’s done are The Office and Extras, which makes it quite clear Stephen Merchant played a hugely significant role.

I’m not offended at all by the therapist or anything like that, just not my humour.

Can't recall what the consensus on Gangs of London is...?? 

But I am definitely in the shamelessly enjoying it camp. 'Visceral' is a word only used in movie reviews...but its also the best word to describe the action scenes. 

Not sure if the main character is supposed to be a slightly unlikely crime boss (he was very likeable in Black Mirror) and his teeth/accent are jarring..but those kind of minor things aside I guiltily love it. Its like a Guy Ritchie film with all the daft nicknames and annoying mockney-isms omitted. 

Edited by Chester40

Liked the first series of After Life, struggled to like this series after watching the first 3 episodes. 

Just doesn't seem to have had any funny moments bar maybe 1 or 2 lines from the therapist.

Feel like I've missed what the storyline is supposed to be as well.

Best things I've watched recently was series 10 of Curb Your Enthusiasm which is up there with some of the best episodes of the entire show and remarkably consistent. 

Edited by JoetheRam

After Life S2 was marginally better than S1 because at least the main character wasn't entirely an unsympathetic, one dimensional ******** who's only redeeming features were those that is dead wife told us he had, but were never once shown in any of the modern day scenes or flashback videos in which he appeared to be a completely intolerable Bamford.

None of the flashbacks in S2 particularly painted him in the best light either.

The majority of the series is basically just watching Ricky Gervais pull sad faces, talking glumly and saying the things he thinks bereaved/depressed peopee would say, backed up by some sad music and the occasioanal appearance of a dog.

His character, and the supporting characters all even remark on the fact that his behaviour is all largely for show.

There are some good moments, of course, and sometimes all the manipulative, everyman, TV tricks added up to a degree where an emotional response was unavidable, it was like watching Long Lost Family. I think there was only one time across all of the episodes where Gervais and his character seemed to be genuinely three dimesional and relatable (one of the park bench scenes nearer to the end) but it's since been pointed out just how bloody awful the dialogue was ("It's my job as a woman" or something), so scratch that.

It's a 6/10 series. 5/10 for genuine emotional connectivity, 7/10 for comedy.

The psychiatrist character was the most cringeworth and least funny thing I've seen on TV for years though, a complete characetuer without a shred of the humanity that the rest of the show yearned for but never achieved.

Edited by Coconut

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

After Life S2 was marginally better than S1 because at least the main character wasn't entirely an unsympathetic, one dimensional ******** who's only redeeming features were those that is dead wife told us he had, but were never once shown in any of the modern day scenes or flashback videos in which he appeared to be a completely intolerable Bamford.

None of the flashbacks in S2 particularly painted him in the best light either.

The majority of the series is basically just watching Ricky Gervais pull sad faces, talking glumly and saying the things he thinks bereaved/depressed peopee would say, backed up by some sad music and the occasioanal appearance of a dog.

His character, and the supporting characters all even remark on the fact that his behaviour is all largely for show.

There are some good moments, of course, and sometimes all the manipulative, everyman, TV tricks added up to a degree where an emotional response was unavidable, it was like watching Long Lost Family. I think there was only one time across all of the episodes where Gervais and his character seemed to be genuinely three dimesional and relatable (one of the park bench scenes nearer to the end) but it's since been pointed out just how bloody awful the dialogue was ("It's my job as a woman" or something), so scratch that.

It's a 6/10 series. 5/10 for genuine emotional connectivity, 7/10 for comedy.

The psychiatrist character was the most cringeworth and least funny thing I've seen on TV for years though, a complete characetuer without a shred of the humanity that the rest of the show yearned for but never achieved.

Agree with your comments. 

His fascination with the c - word also annoys me. He puts it into his work as often as possible specifically to annoy people's sensitivities. 

He loves the taboo but we get that now. 

He doesn't have to keep banging that drum. It's cheap and demeans him. 

55 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Billions is on showtime not HBO. At least over here. 

Really enjoyed the first two seasons but it's become predictable imho. 

@StockholmRam said that he had seen it on HBO, obviously he's in Stockholm ?. I know that HBO isn't available in the UK because I was chatting to my sister about it a few weeks back when they went into lockdown. At least over here they have some very good series on there.

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Agree with your comments. 

His fascination with the c - word also annoys me. He puts it into his work as often as possible specifically to annoy people's sensitivities. 

He loves the taboo but we get that now. 

He doesn't have to keep banging that drum. It's cheap and demeans him. 

This was my problem with the first series. It’s not the C-word specifically (I like the word myself), it’s the feeling that the whole show is just an extension of his twitter feed, which is, in itself, remarkably repetitive. And I say that as someone who agrees with the vast majority of his opinions on life.

Oh, and as @Coconut points out, there’s only so long I can watch a man walk around with the same glum face, making the odd scathing, comedic remark.

Can’t really be arsed to watch the second series, though I may give it a try at some point.

So the utter antithesis of After Life - from Gervais' former sidekick Mackenzie Crook - The Detectorists.

It's a couple of years old now, but I have just discovered it on iPlayer.

A warm, gentle comedy with plenty of heart. A bromance for two middle-aged men  talking baalocks in a field as they try to find undiscovered gold.

I found it oddly relatable ?

Give it a try.

22 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Couple of suggestions if you are missing the football. 

BBC scotland are doing some decent documentaries at the moment. 

If you have sky, search for 'view from the terrace' 'the wee films'.  Short 5 min films on various aspects regarding people / clubs / fans that youve never heard of. Heart and soul of grass roots football. 

Also on BBC scotland via sky search for 'Return to Real Kashmir'. Its on Thursday. 

The 1st documentary was on a year ago and it features David Robertson ex Aberdeen, Rangers, Leeds full back as he manages Real Kashmir in the Indian premier league. It will open your eyes.

Possibly not child friendly, Davie likes a swear word...... 

Can also recommend 89 on Sky Sports about Arsenal’s championship win in, you guessed it, 1989. Although Paul Merson shows his dhead side by claiming they thought they’d blown when losing to a Derby side who were in the bottom 3 at the time. We were 5th ?

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

So the utter antithesis of After Life - from Gervais' former sidekick Mackenzie Crook - The Detectorists.

A warm, gentle comedy with plenty of heart. A bromance for two middle-aged men  talking baalocks in a field as they try to find undiscovered gold.

Give it a try.

This seems like the natural successor to The Office for me. I adore the music and the photography is something else. 

I might be going a bit overboard here but think it captures Englishness better than anything else I can think of.  Combines our history and gentle landscape with our humour and eccentricity.

The Office was the urban side of England. The Detectorists the village.

Ps did you get a little emotional when Lance's song was actually pretty good?

Edited by ariotofmyown

50 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

This seems like the natural successor to The Office for me. I adore the music and the photography is something else. 

I might be going a bit overboard here but think it captures Englishness better than anything else I can think of.  Combines our history and gentle landscape with our humour and eccentricity.

The Office was the urban side of England. The Detectorists the village.

Ps did you get a little emotional when Lance's song was actually pretty good?

I adore the music too. I have found myself listening to indie folk playlists this week! 

I don't think you're going overboard at all now I think about it. Rural English life is rarely shown on TV and it would be so easy to create something that would mock Andy and Lance with their train spotter-esque eccentricities. Instead I long to be part of their world. 

Toby Jones is the absolute star of the show. Crook gives him some great lines and his delivery is exquisite. Such a fine actor. 

13 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Give it a try.

10 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

I adore the music too. I have found myself listening to indie folk playlists this week! 

I don't think you're going overboard at all now I think about it. Rural English life is rarely shown on TV and it would be so easy to create something that would mock Andy and Lance with their train spotter-esque eccentricities. Instead I long to be part of their world. 

Toby Jones is the absolute star of the show. Crook gives him some great lines and his delivery is exquisite. Such a fine actor. 

I've heard good things and will give it a try.

Regarding the lack of rural representation on British TV, have you seen This Country? It's also on iPlayer and is very good, with a main character who physically resembles a young Gareth Keenan!