v Stoke City (A) Match Thread

Comrade 86

Instead of sky going on about BJ maybe biting Allen what about the run and barge in the back of Johnson which started the melee ...if Allen had done that to me I would’ve smashed him ...Stoke are an ugly horrible side and don’t remember Joe Allen being like that previously .....

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same old problem get a team who can defend and we dont know how to deal with it,we were outstanding against WBA,man Utd and Chelsea as they came on to us,tonight was different as Stoke were down to 10 men but unless we get a better Plan B we are going to be found out again

The other thing i hat to see the form side in this division is the red Dogs,just seen there highlights and to score 5 away at villa and be down to 10 men takes some doing

13 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Think we need to calm down a bit.

Not a surprise that a young side with a young manager looks inexperienced and naive at times.

We praise Lampard for his faith in youth, but it can’t be rosy all the time. There will be nights like this when Bogle will have a stinker.

It also became clear that Bryson wasn’t fit as the game went on. I get why we rested Huddlestone but that also backfired - further lesson learned.

Let’s not lose our heads. We sorted ourselves out after that dodgy start. We can do it again.

Agree.

The bigger picture is Lampard has been here just a few months and has shown a clear direction and a good few reasons to believe he can pull it off. 

A minor bump in a long road. 

A lot of talk about Bogle tonight, my only criticism is he needs close down the inevitable cross quicker.  He’s still young but playing him week in, week out we have to accept these mistakes. 

Lets not forget Stoke are team with bags of experience and I wasn’t suprised with how well they defended after going down to 10. Shoe on the other foot, we would not have coped as well. 

A very frustrating evening and when they went down to 10 I genuinely thought we would go on to win. The more the game went on the more they soaked up the pressure because ultimately our movement wasn’t quick enough. 

Have to comment on Butland though. Some great saves from Tom Lawrence! 

Typical over reactions from some fans to us losing!

Weve got an issue defending wide areas that needs fixing. Partly personnel partly tactics. 

The biggest factor in the last two performances has been players returning from injury. Mount isn’t on it, Bryson playing like early season. He needs 5-6 games to get fully match sharp. Johnson looked rusty and I think it was the wrong selection. 

Need some more games to get back to it but we are still one of 8 teams who could win this league. Comments that were awful and could end up mid-table are overreactions.

Lots to be annoyed about: a performance that was for me worse than the Leeds game. I’d say this is the worst man-for-man performance of the season thus far. 

Carson - 3; Bogle - 4, Davies - 5, Keogh - 5, Malone - 5; BJohnson - 3, Mount - 4, Bryson - 5; Wilson - 6, Lawrence - 5, Marriott - 5. Huddlestone and Tomori - 6. 

1 minute ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Every fecking season is next season in recent years

And it would be but we had no continuity, managers getting sacked, leaving ect

Im convinced if we had kept Steve or Clement for 3 consecutive years we would have got promoted by now

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Agree.

The bigger picture is Lampard has been here just a few months and has shown a clear direction and a good few reasons to believe he can pull it off. 

A minor bump in a long road. 

Yeh I agree.

We have played some really great football, but just lack that consistency at the moment.

Success isn't a straight line.

images.png

13 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

Derby fans turned this into a different game than it had to be because of their obsession with an average manager who we somehow got £2m for.

Questions to be asked about Lampard too. Not as good (yet) as some were fooled into thinking.

Nobody was saying Lampard was the messiah or anything, but what we've seen in such a short space of time with such a large turnover of players has been impressive. You have to come to expect a rookie manager will make mistakes, but the lethargic nature of our play this evening can't really be attributed to Lamps (possibly in the 1st half by starting johnson but it was arguably worse when Hudds came on in the 2nd). This result doesn't change the good work he's done, but we're still a work in progress and these bumps will come. Think about the sunderland/fulham playoff/ wolves games and remember how we gave up, even though it was poor tonight it isn't that bad.

Just now, dcfcfan1 said:

TBH weve lost to two sides who man or man have better players than us. No big deal. We move on. Always said next season was our season anyway

I agree but some fans quickly forget that for Lampard and a number of this squad it's still very much early days. Hopefully we've learnt that going out and spending millions gives no guarantees of success - much rather see us build a team that can stay together at least for the next 2-3 seasons and see where it takes us.

Some posters who at the beginning of the season were more than happy to use this campaign to bed in not just the manager but also young and relatively inexperienced players now, at the first sign of problems (which are to be expected), can't wait to put the boot in. 

Archived