v Stoke City (A) Match Thread

Comrade 86

Derby Vs Stoke City - Wednesday, November 28th 20.00pm KO @The Bet365 Stadium

The Game: And so, the Wendies vanquished, we turn our attention to the catchily named, Bet365 Stadium and our game against Stoke City. A Derby side seeking consistency takes on a Potters side lacking inspiration. The much vaunted Stoke Squad has stuttered its way through the first 18 games and remains well off the pace expected by bookmakers and pundits alike, but will they ignite in Rowett’s first game back at Pride Park, or will Derby triumph, exhibiting the kind of champagne footy we saw at both Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge?

A rainy November night in Stoke may not necessarily be universally appealing but there’s a sub-plot, of course… The elephant in the room, so to speak. This is something of a grudge match for many Derby fans with the young pretender, Frank Lampard and his football revolution taking on an arch pragmatist and window-jumper, Gary Rowett, in what could be an intriguing battle of styles. Certainly the fans' interest is piqued with the game being a sell-out. A recent and decidedly tongue in cheek thread about taking inflatable snakes to the game elicited some frank and funny exchanges yet, the topic of Rowett’s time at Derby and his departure is still proving divisive. For my part, I think it’s fairly safe assumption that there’s no hatred, it is by and large, all in good humour and on the Richter scale of football misdemeanours, it barely even registers. It's also quite juvenile and not something any self-respecting adult would indulge in. Ssssssso there. 

Fun Facts About Stoke City:  They don’t win a lot. Only major silverware won – League Cup in 1972 - They’ve never finished higher than 4th in the top division - Prior to 2008, Stoke City had not participated in the top flight of English football for 23 years - On their subsequent return to the Premiership, a defeat to Bolton Wanderers on the opening day had bookmaker Paddy Power paying out immediately on Stoke to be relegated. They ultimately finished 12th - Bet365 1 Paddy Power 0 - Sir Stanley Matthews holds the record for the oldest ever player to feature in England’s top division. His appearance for Stoke City against Fulham in February 1965 came shortly after his 50th birthday - Stoke and Forest top the EFL Shithouse league table with 9 and 8 draws respectively - Stoke have drawn 4 out of their last 5 league games – Stoke City is an anagram for both Oy, Tickets and Sticky Toe

The Team:  With a few coming back from injury, we may have rather more option than of late. Mount returned yesterday and will be sharper for the run-out, likewise Bryson. Waghorn could figure and Davies showed us the Curtis of old at times yesterday. In hope that we can turn in one of our better team performances, perhaps we could have something like this...

Carson

Tomo Keogh Davies Malone

Hudds

Bryso Mount

Wilson Stud Waghorn

Pointless Predictions: There’ll be plenty thinking ‘this game has as got 1-0 Stoke written all over it’ and who could blame them? It’s the ultimate nightmare scenario. I’m going to take my usual happy-clapper stance, however, and predict a relatively comfortable win for Derby. Frank will have the lads up for this one whilst I’m not convinced that all of the Stoke squad are really putting it in at the moment. A more fluid Derby to win 3-1 is the call with Mount, Wilson and Marriott getting one apiece.  

Over to you chaps ?

COYR

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, 86 points said:

Derby Vs Stoke City - Wednesday, November 28th 20.00pm KO @The Bet365 Stadium

The Game: And so, the Wendies vanquished, we turn our attention to the catchily named, Bet365 Stadium and our game against Stoke City. A Derby side seeking consistency takes on a Potters side lacking inspiration. The much vaunted Stoke Squad has stuttered its way through the first 18 games and remains well off the pace expected by bookmakers and pundits alike, but will they ignite in Rowett’s first game back at Pride Park, or will Derby triumph, exhibiting the kind of champagne footy we saw at both Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge?

A rainy November night in Stoke may not necessarily be universally appealing but there’s a sub-plot, of course… The elephant in the room, so to speak. This is something of a grudge match for many Derby fans with the young pretender, Frank Lampard and his football revolution taking on an arch pragmatist and window-jumper, Gary Rowett, in what could be an intriguing battle of styles. Certainly the fans' interest is piqued with the game being a sell-out. A recent and decidedly tongue in cheek thread about taking inflatable snakes to the game elicited some frank and funny exchanges yet, the topic of Rowett’s time at Derby and his departure is still proving divisive. For my part, I think it’s fairly safe assumption that there’s no hatred, it is by and large, all in good humour and on the Richter scale of football misdemeanours, it barely even registers. It's also quite juvenile and not something any self-respecting adult would indulge in. Ssssssso there. 

Fun Facts About Stoke City:  They don’t win a lot. Only major silverware won – League Cup in 1972 - They’ve never finished higher than 4th in the top division - Prior to 2008, Stoke City had not participated in the top flight of English football for 23 years - On their subsequent return to the Premiership, a defeat to Bolton Wanderers on the opening day had bookmaker Paddy Power paying out immediately on Stoke to be relegated. They ultimately finished 12th - Bet365 1 Paddy Power 0 - Sir Stanley Matthews holds the record for the oldest ever player to feature in England’s top division. His appearance for Stoke City against Fulham in February 1965 came shortly after his 50th birthday - Stoke and Forest top the EFL Shithouse league table with 9 and 8 draws respectively - Stoke have drawn 4 out of their last 5 league games – Stoke City is an anagram for both Oy, Tickets and Sticky Toe

The Team:  With a few coming back from injury, we may have rather more option than of late. Mount returned yesterday and will be sharper for the run-out, likewise Bryson. Waghorn could figure and Davies showed us the Curtis of old at times yesterday. In hope that we can turn in one of our better team performances, perhaps we could have something like this...

Carson

Tomo Keogh Davies Malone

Hudds

Bryso Mount

Wilson Stud Waghorn

Pointless Predictions: There’ll be plenty thinking ‘this game has as got 1-0 Stoke written all over it’ and who could blame them? It’s the ultimate nightmare scenario. I’m going to take my usual happy-clapper stance, however, and predict a relatively comfortable win for Derby. Frank will have the lads up for this one whilst I’m not convinced that all of the Stoke squad are really putting it in at the moment. A more fluid Derby to win 3-1 is the call with Mount, Wilson and Marriott getting one apiece.  

Over to you chaps ?

COYR

My team:

………………………………..Carson...………………………………..

Tomori………………Keogh...…………Davies...…………Malone

……………………………….Hudds……………………………………….

……………..Wilson...…………………..Mount...……………………

Waghorn……………….Marriott...……………………Lawrence

Massive one this, can’t be having the snakey twit getting one over us as I’m sure he’ll be desperate to do. Can imagine the atmosphere will be mental, unfortunately won’t be making this one so will be watching on from my uni room?. We all know exactly what Rowetts about, he’ll have his team well drilled defensively, look to absorb pressure and hit us on the counter. They’re a strong side, but have started poorly so we should be looking to capitalise on that and create and even bigger gap between us and that tools lot. Don’t want to overcommitting because they’ll make use of it, I’d look at playing something like..

Carson

Tomori Keogh Davies Malone

Huddlestone

Bryson Mount

Waghorn Marriott Wilson

Well want Davies to deal with the aerial threat of crouch who seems to continue forever, that should hopefully allow us to sort the right back issue. Ideally we’d want Forsyth over malone for this one as well require more defensive solidity, but since we have no choice someone will just have to tell Scott he’s not a striker, entertaining as it is to see him wind up in the box and force a worldie save. Need some more balance in midfield to enable a bit more bite against a side like stoke as well, so bringing Bryson in to help out Huddlestone in transition is probably the best move imo. Waghorn comes in similarily for a bit more strength and Defesnive solidity to stop us being cut open on the counter.

Need to stop these slow starts, even more important because if there’s one thing that we were good at under Rowett it was holding on to a lead, so we can’t be handing them the game in the first 20 mins like we have been to everyone else and leaving us with a mountain to claim. Can’t emphasise that point enough, will be furious if we start lethargic and slow like yesterday, we’ve had enough warnings of what happens when you do that. Get a couple of goals before half time and we’re in an excellent position, just ffs DONT CONCEDE THE FIRST GOAL! Clean sheet would be nice too unless we’re going for a record of getting promoted without ever having one?. Need to be more energetic and more ballsy in tackles as well, our game relies on winning the ball high up the pitch which isn’t gonna happen if you shy away from challenges/don’t work for the ball. Theyve got the quality to capitalise on every mistake as well so let’s make sure we read the game better at the back and don’t play too risky, that’ll play right into their hands. Retaining possession here is key, with enough patience we’ll find some space eventually, so long as we don’t gift the ball away like we have done.

Massive chance to make an 11 point advantage over the snake here, COYR

As soon as Rowett heard that Stanley Matthews turn out for Stoke at age 50 he thought "I belong at that club"

I hope we smash 'em and it's more to do with my Stokie mate than Gary Rowett. 

Years of "Who Derby got this week? Wycombe? Woking? Do you have players Dads refereeing in that league?" etc etc.

51 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

Where is everybody going for a pint before the game?

I suspect they’ll be going to an establishment that is licensed to sell intoxicating liquor on or off the premises. Except for @BurtonRam7who will take a purple carrier bag replete with black currant flavoured cider; he’s the one in the crowd with a purple tongue ?

Second biggest game of the season for me, and that’s every season, not just this one because of a certain snake. Mums side of the family are all Stokies. Waited a long time for this whilst they were floating about being in the premier league.

come on Derby, take it to them like we did West Brom & Middlesbrough and give them a good thumping ??

37 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Massive one this, can’t be having the snakey twit getting one over us as I’m sure he’ll be desperate to do. Can imagine the atmosphere will be mental, unfortunately won’t be making this one so will be watching on from my uni room?. We all know exactly what Rowetts about, he’ll have his team well drilled defensively, look to absorb pressure and hit us on the counter. They’re a strong side, but have started poorly so we should be looking to capitalise on that and create and even bigger gap between us and that tools lot. Don’t want to overcommitting because they’ll make use of it, I’d look at playing something like..

Carson

Tomori Keogh Davies Malone

Huddlestone

Bryson Mount

Waghorn Marriott Wilson

Well want Davies to deal with the aerial threat of crouch who seems to continue forever, that should hopefully allow us to sort the right back issue. Ideally we’d want Forsyth over malone for this one as well require more defensive solidity, but since we have no choice someone will just have to tell Scott he’s not a striker, entertaining as it is to see him wind up in the box and force a worldie save. Need some more balance in midfield to enable a bit more bite against a side like stoke as well, so bringing Bryson in to help out Huddlestone in transition is probably the best move imo. Waghorn comes in similarily for a bit more strength and Defesnive solidity to stop us being cut open on the counter.

Need to stop these slow starts, even more important because if there’s one thing that we were good at under Rowett it was holding on to a lead, so we can’t be handing them the game in the first 20 mins like we have been to everyone else and leaving us with a mountain to claim. Can’t emphasise that point enough, will be furious if we start lethargic and slow like yesterday, we’ve had enough warnings of what happens when you do that. Get a couple of goals before half time and we’re in an excellent position, just ffs DONT CONCEDE THE FIRST GOAL! Clean sheet would be nice too unless we’re going for a record of getting promoted without ever having one?. Need to be more energetic and more ballsy in tackles as well, our game relies on winning the ball high up the pitch which isn’t gonna happen if you shy away from challenges/don’t work for the ball. Theyve got the quality to capitalise on every mistake as well so let’s make sure we read the game better at the back and don’t play too risky, that’ll play right into their hands. Retaining possession here is key, with enough patience we’ll find some space eventually, so long as we don’t gift the ball away like we have done.

Massive chance to make an 11 point advantage over the snake here, COYR

Absolutely. This is a locus classicus; it’s carp football versus the beautiful game; we all know that GR thrives in this sort of situation and he’ll bill it to his players as a way of kick-starting their season. The atmosphere will be static electricity on a nylon t-shirt. Crucial that we start strong and score first. Quieten their support and turn the screw on them. I can’t help but think that we need a bit more muscle in the midfield but I trust Frank and Jody to get it right. I really want us to win but I’d take a point so long as:

1. We run rings around them with fast-flow, free-style football.

2. Their late equaliser is a long ugly punt.

3. Our fans sing “You’ve got...Garee Row-it..we’ve got 2 mill-ion!!”  ?

It would be great to stuff the stokeys at anytime but especially now with the rowett connection. I know our first 11 personnel has changed quite a bit but surely the likes of Davies, Keogh, Huddz, and especially Bryson will all be fired up to stick one on him to show him what a sh!thouse he his. If we do stick one on him surely even more of an antidote will be the Coates family will not have any further trust in him. However win lose or draw we are the winners as most Stokeys would agree he ain’t up to much. 

Archived