v Stoke City (A) Match Thread

Comrade 86

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carson has been brilliant for us but that’s 3 iffy moments for him in 3 goals. Particularly their winner, very shoddy. 

Once we scored we thought we’d walk it, complete complacency and they had a 10 minute spell after that, in which they deserve their winner.

Not a disaster by any accounts, but two really poor performances in two games. The lack of clean sheets is worrying and Davies’s injury didn’t look good at all....

10 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I feel sorry for the Stoke fans tonight. They are gonna have to put up with Rowett for a bit longer. We could have put them out of their misery tonight but it wasn't to be.

duck 'em, they deserve him. 

7 minutes ago, gazram80 said:

New low for the season lose to that shower and the other shower are now above us.

The only way thus gets worse is when they both finish above us and we lose all 4 games against both of them.

A bright vision for the future, gazram80

Just now, Tombo said:

Other than that time he nearly scored.

You mean that time he missed? One shot doesn't change the fact he wasn't good today. Same as Wilson, scored a good freekick, but all round play was severely lacking. Marriott hitting the post doesn't change my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Think we need to calm down a bit.

Not a surprise that a young side with a young manager looks inexperienced and naive at times.

We praise Lampard for his faith in youth, but it can’t be rosy all the time. There will be nights like this when Bogle will have a stinker.

It also became clear that Bryson wasn’t fit as the game went on. I get why we rested Huddlestone but that also backfired - further lesson learned.

Let’s not lose our heads. We sorted ourselves out after that dodgy start. We can do it again.

Bogle has been awful in pretty much every game since Man U it's not like this was  a one off, Wisdom has been even worse so  it's not like  we have alternative options, but for me right back would be the number 1 priority position to address during January.  He has potential and was good at the start of the season but recently he has defended like a  under 16s fullback, he has not even blocked a single cross in recent games.

Carson  3. Two soft goals, never comes off his line.  Not scapegoating but terrible performance I'm afraid 

Davies 6 looked a bit out of sorts positionally before carried off

Keogh 6 usual in and out showing. 

Bogle 6 looked ok going forward but caught napping defensively

Malone 7 sorry, lots of criticism on here that I don't get...the lad never stopped working 

Johnson 5 poor in possession.  Brought in for his power yet was bullied all half 

Mount 6 neat and tidy but not really in possession of the ball where it mattered 

Wilson 6 slightly anonymous but then quality goal

Bryson 4 disappointing showing.  In for his heart....but that was totally lacking today 

Lawrence 7 worked hard today...looked our most dangerous player

Marriott 7 worked like a dog but nothing came off

Subs

Hudds 6 classy as ever but couldn't create much 

Tomori 7 got such an engine..just needs fine tuning. 

Frank 5 .. sorry....love you Frank, but Bryson and Johnson were brought in and were poor. Few worrying performances in a row.   

I’d still rather watch a Frank Lampard style Derby over a Rowett style.....we are a good side who maybe need a tweak here and there in January....I have no doubt Frank and Jody will make a few changes ...get behind the team and chill a bit .... championship is a very tough league 

Piss poor all round performance - not one of the team were on it and the back five were abysmal, Carson especially. Fair play to Stoke though, made us look like we were the team with 10 men. After their second goal I felt we could have played all night and not scored. 

January is going to be a big month - we urgently need to freshen things up at the back and find someone to boss the midfield or it’s midtable for us I fear. 

Disappointing result and performance,thought we would really get at them second half and we didn't. Made it too comfortable for them to sit back behind the ball and defend.Carson probably had his  worst game for us I can remember, Marriott just not his night,,Bryson presumably not fit, Bogle had a stinker but hopefully will learn from it.Keogh lucky to still have two legs. Waghorn never got into the game and Bradley was poor.

Onwards and upwards ,hopefully tonight's performance will be a kick up the arse  and we can pick ourselves up for sat

We've got a bit of a full back problem. Bogle is good for his age and shows lots of promise but is he at the level we need? Not for me. I think he will be but his form at the minute has him exposed. Wisdom isn't very good imo. Malone, all limbs and instinct. Again he's ok. But with both full backs being a touch dodgy it's not really a great look. When one isn't all over the place the other is. 

Central midfield. I thought Frank was a touch negative tonight by including Johnson and Davies. Huddlestone is a level above Johnson and Bryson. He has his stinkers but they can't do what he can. Mount relies so much on pressure play in the final third that he spends too long admiring Bryson doing completely counter productive passing. Holmes can be dodgy off the ball. Wilson looks the best bet in there. 

I still think Waghorn suits the team best whether his individual performances have earned his place or not. 

Tonight the first half... Davies too slow, Johnson too slow, Bryson too slow and looked like he'd been drugged. 

Second half, I thought Huddlestone showed why he should have started and he wasn't even at his best. He just splits the game better. Bryson just killed our play. Slow and dawdling. Passing safe and negative. He might as well have been a brick wall for the CB's and Co to bounce it off. 

But it's the full backs. Everywhere we have players to work it's just finding how they slot together. But the full backs let so many crosses in and even the wingers are guilty off ball watching. Bogle would be fine if we had a solid LB. Malone would be fine if we had a solid RB. But they get us in such a mess. Whether responsible for goals or not is not entirely relevant. They hand encouragement over to the opposition and put pressure on themselves. 

I don't see how Tomori isn't first choice CB. If you're Stoke then sure, I get it. But for us we need his pace when we get countered and we need his passing. 

Disappointed with Lampard for the first time this season. Looked like a reactive team selection. 

I don't know Bryson's pass completion but it should be 100% considering the speed and direction he played them at. There's just no point. That's what I expect from him when he's deep. He picked it up in good positions plenty of times. He didn't look ready for the game 

That hurt 

a defensive Sh#t show cost us quite frankly

We literally invite the opposition to put the balls into the box, didn’t track runners, didn’t communicate and pass runners on and marking for inces goal was playground stuff 

loving what frank is trying to do and the way we’re trying to play, it needs time, he needs time but on nights like tonight I’m currently fuming with our defending

itll pass though, don’t worry I’ll love them all again by Saturday lol

not sure why when against 10 men it took so long to move Wilson into the middle where he’s been umpteen times better than when out  wide 

2 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Bogle has been awful in pretty much every game since Man U it's not like this was  a one off, Wisdom has been even worse so  it's not like  we have alternative options, but for me right back would be the number 1 priority position to address during January.  He has potential and was good at the start of the season but recently he has defended like a  under 16s fullback, he has not even blocked a single cross in recent games.

Let’s get some perspective. “Awful” is Mo Camara, Jay McEveley, Edworthy in the Premier League.

Bogle hasn’t been up to our high standard in recent games defensively but he’s still been offering something going forward. He’s better than Wisdom.

Do agree he must improve dramatically in defence though. And there is no experienced full back to learn from. 

Archived