Could we upgrade on Carson ?

RiddingsRam

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

Simple debate ? Not sure in the answer myself , just wondered what fellow Rams fans thoughts were on this as I was having a drunken debate with the brother in law last night whilst sipping a few cocktails in sunny Gran canaria. As a goalkeeper i.e shot stopping , rushing out , catches from corners Carson is next to none. But with the modern game developing and more being demanded from keepers (almost to play as a sweeper at times ) could we look at potentially bringing in some better competition for Scott , someone who's distribution is perhaps better ? 

I like this question.Good one.

It’s one of those which I look at and go,oooooooooo!

I’ve no idea because I’d never considered it.

What was that comedy show where they went,yeah but no but yeah but no repeatedly.

I’d stick with Carson because he’s been brilliant but I know I’m wrong.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

Love this. You won't find a better keeper at this level. All keepers will make mistakes playing from the back. He's the biggest part of our spine. To pay for a top level keeper who can play out from the back, you're looking at 30m + and they aren't even guaranteed to be good at it at that price.

Following on from this, in my opinion the few keepers that can play from the back in English football are De Gea, Lloris, Allison and Ederson. 

48 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I'm not sure about upgrading on Carson but I would like us to upgrade on Kelle Roos - if I looked at our squad we are one serious injury away from potentially having a big problem. Not to get down on Roos but there isn't much evidence to suggest he is top end Championship standard.

There's not much evidence to suggest he isn't,  either.

I know Plymouth fans rated Roos from his time down there but for his age, he hasn't got a lot of first team experience. 

It's a tough call spending money on a player to sit on the bench and we'll only really know if he's up to it if he gets an extended run of games ( the odd first team cup game doesn't count in my opinion.) 

Thankfully Carson is great and more than good enough for us at the moment. I think the deflection stopped him saving the shot on Wednesday BTW - watch it from the right angle and that's pretty clear. 

Add the fact that Carson is fit, reliable and consistent to all his other attributes.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Can we improve on Carson? Yes

Can we afford to improve on Carson? No

Simple

No one is pretending he's the best keeper in the world - But to replace him we'd have to spend quite a lot - Thought he was better than the Chelsea keeper midweek

I would add

Even if we could afford to improve on him would it be the priority? No

49 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I like this question.Good one.

It’s one of those which I look at and go,oooooooooo!

I’ve no idea because I’d never considered it.

What was that comedy show where they went,yeah but no but yeah but no repeatedly.

I’d stick with Carson because he’s been brilliant but I know I’m wrong.

Not on this one John!

ps you're thinking of Vicky Pollard (Matt Lucas in chav drag) from Little Britain, with a broad Bristolian accent. Fun aside - our local CenterParcs is Longleat in Wiltshire, which is midway between leafy (and beautifully enunciated Hants) and Bristol. So it would be packed with them when we used to take Hants Jnr back in the day. "Oi din't do it, nor nuffink!" was what he came home saying once.

I had to thrash him repeatedly to get it out of his system.....?

I am glad someone else opened a thread on this. Although I will say he is a solid keeper I do think he is one of our most overrated players or at least exempt from criticism- I didn't hear much when he basically nearly cost us 2 points against sheff utd or when he passed middlesbrough the ball or even the third goal at Chelsea. Whereas we all know Keogh's mistakes are magnified.

For now he is fine- In this division I don't think improving on him would be the difference on promotion or not.

1 hour ago, Shang said:

I'm not sure what games you guys are watching but Scott Carson has probably the best distribution in the league. He's constantly pinging long balls to the wingers / pushed up full backs accurately and consistently. He's also super brave on the ball, not afraid of releasing it at the very last moment rather than kicking it out for a throw in. He was loads better distribution-wise than Caballero was for Chelsea (and he was bought by Manchester City for his distribution qualities). A goalkeeper with better passing range wouldn't be in this league, they'd be in the Premier League. He's definitely one of the best shot stoppers in the championship + lower half PL.

It’s the short stuff he struggles with, not the long stuff 

Best since Poom or better than Poom?

Over the years we have had some tripe - remember Brad Jones from Liverpool or that foreign keeper that we had briefly who played in trakkie bottoms?

Yes, I know he looks like he's just come off a nightshift down the docks but SC is real class and I suspect he is great with encouraging the younger players.

2 hours ago, gazram80 said:

Remind me where he is now?

Like I said he has not made it at the top level because he is prone to errors x

John Terry just spent a year in the championship, did he not make it at the top level either? 

Wayne Rooney and Zlatan Ibrahimovich are currently playing in the MLS, they not make it either no? 

Henrik Laarson finished his career in Scotland, take it he was a flop to

Theoretically we could, of course we could.  Could we afford to?  No, we couldn't.  When the likes of Butland (the only keeper, who's arguably better than Scott in our division) has a £20m-£30m price tag, we have no chance.  We'd need one hell of a scouting department to find an unknown Nauer, Edison, Alison, Pickford for the amount we could pay.   And it's alright aying Grant was good with his feet, but he cost us a fair few points with poor keeping.

I'm more than happy with his output this season...

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

For every time I wonder if he could have done better with a shot, I can think of 2 he's had no right to save and has.

The only thing he's done wrong in all his time here is paper over The Snake's cracks, by bailing us out on numerous occasions last season ?

1 hour ago, angieram said:

There's not much evidence to suggest he isn't,  either.

I know Plymouth fans rated Roos from his time down there but for his age, he hasn't got a lot of first team experience. 

It's a tough call spending money on a player to sit on the bench and we'll only really know if he's up to it if he gets an extended run of games ( the odd first team cup game doesn't count in my opinion.) 

Thankfully Carson is great and more than good enough for us at the moment. I think the deflection stopped him saving the shot on Wednesday BTW - watch it from the right angle and that's pretty clear. 

Add the fact that Carson is fit, reliable and consistent to all his other attributes.

Well, if Carson stays fit it is, indeed, a moot point. If he doesn't then time will tell what might happen - not sure of the recall terms on Jonathan Mitchell at Oxford and Roos, while encouraging, can hardly consider a loan with Plymouth as assurance for a Championship promotion push.

There have been examples of keepers who have stepped up heroically (Chris Woods in for Shilton, Nigel Spink in for Jimmy Rimmer) but there have also been examples where it hasn't (Peter Bonetti in 1970, whoever replaced Jack Fryer for Derby in the 1903 FA Cup final against Bury to name but two).

I take the point, and agree, that we can't afford to have an expensive resource warming the bench but I also restate it is probably the biggest area of risk we have in our squad at the moment.

21 minutes ago, Derbados said:

John Terry just spent a year in the championship, did he not make it at the top level either? 

Wayne Rooney and Zlatan Ibrahimovich are currently playing in the MLS, they not make it either no? 

Henrik Laarson finished his career in Scotland, take it he was a flop to

Actually he didn't finish his career in Scotland, once he left Scotland he played for a few lesser known clubs, Man Utd and Barcelona. Just confirming the fact he didn't make it.

What I don't get is the criticism of Carson's distribution. I really think he's so much better than most on the ball. We're asking him to play in a very difficult way so we can draw the opposition forwards onto us early in the game to tire them out, and Carson is being both brave and skillful in doing it. 

Yes it's risky and sometimes looks bad, but there is a plan behind it. 

I do rate Carson highly but i can see where the debate would come from.

I quite rate Dean Henderson at Sheffield United (on loan from Man Utd) for both his ability as a keeper and playing out from the back. 

Also, Daniel Bentley at Brentford. I was hoping we'd sign him when he was impressing for Southend.

Archived