Could we upgrade on Carson ?

RiddingsRam

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All clubs bar three or four clubs could upgrade on their present keeper. Could we up grade on our present keeper? Yes of cause we could. Do we need to upgrade at the moment? No. Our keeper is in the top tier of keepers at this level and is well capable of holding his own at a higher level.

So lets leave Scott alone. The club have more pressing problems that need resolving before the need to think about upgrading the keeper.

On 05/11/2018 at 13:59, Ninos said:

If we go up and if frank wants a real ball playing goalkeeper, and one with age on his side, then the answer must be yes. Until then, we have a few other fish to fry.

Name the fish, Ninos please. This is the time and Plaice to do it, surely. Give us a Ray of insight. I am sure that it will be a Gudgeon. ?

Very games are going by without Carson gifting the opposition with an opportunity due to lazy distribution.

If it was a certain other player doing this I think we all know the level of criticism that would be coming his way.

Carson is a good goalkeeper but needs to  cut out these mistakes.

1 hour ago, jimbobram said:

Anyone better than Carson is playing in the premier league. There is no one better than him in this division. His distribution has been poor since playing Lampards way but I cant see us finding a realistic improvement on him.

Not necessarily saying you are wrong but what are you basing this on? 

How often do you see other teams goalkeepers?

I would imagine there are numerous goalkeepers in this division that have better distribution and better command of their area.

Just to name a few keepers that may or may not be on a par with Carson:-

Tim Krul - played at the highest level for quite a while

Darren Randolph - International goalkeeper who has played in the Premier League. Tall commanding goalkeeper who has conceded 8 goals this season

Sam Johnstone - Former Manchester United product, played at all international levels up to U20

Jack Butland - ahead of Carson in international reckoning I would say

Unfortunately that's about my knowledge of Championship goalkeepers but I'm pretty sure the fans of all of the above teams would claim they have the best goalkeeper outside of the premier league too.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not necessarily saying you are wrong but what are you basing this on? 

How often do you see other teams goalkeepers?

I would imagine there are numerous goalkeepers in this division that have better distribution and better command of their area.

Just to name a few keepers that may or may not be on a par with Carson:-

Tim Krul - played at the highest level for quite a while

Darren Randolph - International goalkeeper who has played in the Premier League. Tall commanding goalkeeper who has conceded 8 goals this season

Sam Johnstone - Former Manchester United product, played at all international levels up to U20

Jack Butland - ahead of Carson in international reckoning I would say

Unfortunately that's about my knowledge of Championship goalkeepers but I'm pretty sure the fans of all of the above teams would claim they have the best goalkeeper outside of the premier league too.

I'll admit, completely forgot about Butland. He will be the best in the league. The others I would argue are not better than Carson. It's just my opinion, but im happy with Carson. Shay given was brought in for a reason, Distribution must be worked on.

18 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

I'll admit, completely forgot about Butland. He will be the best in the league. The others I would argue are not better than Carson. It's just my opinion, but im happy with Carson. Shay given was brought in for a reason, Distribution must be worked on.

What’s happened to Westcarr at Weds? I always thought he was a top keeper at this level.

15 hours ago, Premier ram said:

shows how far weve come under Frank when Scottys the new scapegoat , unbelievable

Why has he become a scapegoat? That's just a lazy response to a genuine question.

From what I can see, most have said it's unlikely that we could upgrade without having to pay silly money so are happy with what we've got.

Doesn't mean that it can't be pointed out that there are parts of his game that need improving. We've had 4 or 5 seasons of every one of Keoghs mistakes being jumped on!

At the moment there isn't a game going by where one of Carson's kicks doesn't put us in serious danger and that needs addressing immediately. 

46 minutes ago, bristolram said:

No, he's form has dropped ever so slightly. It's only obvious because of the such high standards he has set in the past 2 seasons. Give the guy a break! His distribution will improve, just seems he's lost a bit of confidence.  

'His distribution will improve' based on?

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

'His distribution will improve' based on?

Based on his form has dropped from previous. Fairly easy observation to make.

Albeit he is being asked to use his feet a lot more regularly which inevitably will lead to mistakes, which you see with top goalkeepers, Ederson/Allison have both made mistakes this season with the ball at their feet.

As I said, it seems his confidence has taken a slight knock which effects performance. His distribution in the past was never that bad imo. 

Talk of replacing him just feels unjust/fickle/over reaction, he's not playing as well as he has, why does that mean we need a change?

59 minutes ago, bristolram said:

Based on his form has dropped from previous. Fairly easy observation to make.

Albeit he is being asked to use his feet a lot more regularly which inevitably will lead to mistakes, which you see with top goalkeepers, Ederson/Allison have both made mistakes this season with the ball at their feet.

As I said, it seems his confidence has taken a slight knock which effects performance. His distribution in the past was never that bad imo. 

Talk of replacing him just feels unjust/fickle/over reaction, he's not playing as well as he has, why does that mean we need a change?

His form has dropped but his distribution has been poor all season and isn't showing much sign of improvement to me, so not sure why it's an easy observation to say it will improve. 

You could argue that Joe Hart was playing well for Man City so why did Guardiola need to change him?

If we are to stick with playing out from the back, and I really hope we do, Carson needs to work on his distribution and cut out the regular mistakes. 

Archived