V Norwich (H) Match Thread

Millenniumram

1 minute ago, King Kevin said:

This,  we are nearly a good side which is fair enough at this moment in time considering our net spend in the close season.We are lacking a real leader ,a bit of belief at times and a consistent settled team .

Definitely work in progress looking at that performance last night the thing that worries me is we could still go either way ,Frank needs a bob or two in the Jan window.

Wonder if MM will be prepared to give him money when 2 of his 'big money' summer signings are sat on the bench and another isn't even making the squad?

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, SaffyRam said:

My thoughts on last night...Norwich are a good, well-organised side and a point was a fair result.

First half we played very similar styles of passing football and cancelled each other out. Neither side had that cutting edge.

They were clearly told to come out and rough us up in the second half. Shame they also started time wasting and diving with over half an hour still to go. In fact, some of the play acting they did was embarrassing. Thought we looked better after Lawrence and Waghorn came on and played well for the last ten to fifteen minutes and desrved the equaliser.

We’ll see better and worse performances than that going forward. Overall, not unhappy with the point, but the performance was a bit meh. But absolutely no need for wrist slashing. Norwich are a good side.

Did we look better after Lawrence and Waghorn came on? I thought Lawrence was poor and didn't get in to the game at all. I was pleased with a point against a very decent Norwich side. The equaliser came as a surprise to me and I don't think we could have had too many complaints if it had ended 0-1. We need to somehow convert our possession in to chances. I think their keeper had to make 3 decent saves all game. We need to create more. Positives were the defence on the whole looked solid, Keogh and Tomori played well, Carson made a couple of crucial saves when he had to and Johnson continues to impress in midfield. Need a win against Mac on Saturday.

9 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

I’d give Nuge 45 mins high octane chasing and replace him at half time with Waghorn. We are a solid side wth too many options (which we have as a luxury) COYR ??

I thought the 'high octane chasing' was a bit pointless as he was mostly doing it on his own. But surely there's more to us up front than 'chasing'? Very Snake.

34 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wonder if MM will be prepared to give him money when 2 of his 'big money' summer signings are sat on the bench and another isn't even making the squad?

Dunno, wonder if Man City will give Pep any more money having a 60 million plus player sat on the bench.

I suppose it depends if he realises that sometimes it takes time for players to come in and adapt, maybe not though as it seems nowadays a lot of people want instant success and form an opinion after just 11 games.

41 minutes ago, singaporeram said:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-paddy-s-pointers-following-1-1-championship-draw-at-derby-county-1-5722239

Interesting line in the Norwich paper write-up - former Norwich players Maddison, Ruddy and Bennett all in the away end for the Derby game - good to see. 

Spotted Maddison and the ridiculous queues to get a pic with him at half time.

6 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Dunno, wonder if Man City will give Pep any more money having a 60 million plus player sat on the bench.

I suppose it depends if he realises that sometimes it takes time for players to come in and adapt, maybe not though as it seems nowadays a lot of people want instant success and form an opinion after just 11 games.

There is a huge difference between Man City and us.

Championship clubs cannot afford to be spending tens of millions on players that aren't going to be playing.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Championship clubs cannot afford to be spending tens of millions on players that aren't going to be playing.

Yes absolutely. Mel has given his managers a decent budget and I don't think FL has any complaints. The manager generally decides which players to sign and then asks for the funding. If those some of those very expensive players then end up warming the bench..... 

My thoughts on last nights game fwiw...

As been said on here Norwich are a good side, their manager has them playing some good football, lots of short quick passing and a touch of the cynical about them. They looked better than us and scored from one of many corners and I thought we were a little lucky to get a point.

We looked edgy with Tomori in particular making a number of clumsy mistakes early on. Bennett sadly had a poor game and seemed afraid to make a mistake before he was pulled off, I thought the change should have been made at half time. Waghorn did well when he came on and was instrumental in our equaliser. I would like to see him in for a tired looking Nugent at the weekend. I find it strange that a striker who can hold the ball up and scored 16 goals last season with lots of assists, can’t get in the team. Malone looked quite good in possession, not sure about his defensive qualities but i though he did well as did Keogh, Carson and Johnson.

Overall a very uninspiring performance with the front three not really affecting the game at all. Lawrence, Waghorn and Jozefzoon would be my front 3 against QPR.

Onwards and upwards ?

33 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Tens of millions ?

Not playing ? Sure I seen all 3 on the playing field this season, maybe I need some new glasses ?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not saying you're wrong but just wondering what makes you think this?

Surely you want your centre forward to be able to score goals?

From wikipedia, Bennett has 4 goals in 68 appearances, I'd expect my centre backs to have goal scoring stats like that!

I don’t think he’s ever started as an out and out centre forward. It’s judt a theory of mine that he might be able to do that role.

I guess his managers have not seen that in him so I’m probably completely wrong.

From wikipedia, Bennett has 4 goals in 68 appearances, I'd expect my centre backs to have goal scoring stats like that!

At the minute anyone in attack capable of scoring goals would do me?

Stats don’t tell the truth sometimes and by that I mean Bennett has hardly had a chance to play at centre forward for Derby (most of those appearances are small sub appearances as well) with good players around him and I personally think he would be a threat there. Then again I also think Martin would have done well there as well this season. I don’t think waghorn is a centre forward and Marriott hasn’t started yet in the league and he reminds me of Adam La Fondra

49 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

During the game Ill admit I was part of the £x million of players being on the bench not being played thinking. But I’m also really frustrated with what Nugent is contributing, which makes that worse (yet no one wants to criticise him because he runs about a bit). 

You are right, both Marriott and Waghorn came in after transfer sagas. Waghorn started well but dropped off and I don’t think there was anything wrong with taking him out and bringing him back in again now he’s had time to settle. Marriott has slowly been getting more time and can’t be that far away. It’ll be fine but we certainly need them soon because the front three aren’t creating enough 

When Marriott and Waghorn were playing last night they had a much bigger influence and impact than Nuge and Bennett. 

I’d say Lawrence and Wilson has about the same kind of impact. 

Waghorns touch, movement and contribution were at a much higher level than Bennett. 

For me id start Marriott up front and Waghorn instead of Bennett v QPR. 

I really want Mason to do well but if he was any other player and not ‘one of our own’ calling for him to be dropped for a few games wouldn’t cause anywhere near as much controvicy. 

Didn’t need both Marriott and Waghorn. Would have been better off buying one and buying a quality centre midfielder IMO. I don’t think in Johnson and Bryson we have a midfielder can pick the eye of needle pass to break through the lines. Mount wants to get forward and join in but we struggle getting the ball into him. 

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

Tens of millions ?

Not playing ? Sure I seen all 3 on the playing field this season, maybe I need some new glasses ?

Come on, you know what he means. There're not getting a great deal of game time. Ordinarily, I reckon when you've spent that amount of money on players you'd expect them, or at least one of them, to be in the starting 11 on a regular basis but, in Frank I trust.

13 hours ago, NorwichLad said:

1-1 probably just about fair all things considered.

Norwich played the better football over the 90 minutes and controlled the game in the middle for about three quarters of the game but ultimately didn't create many chances.

You had us on the ropes for the final 15 minutes when we looked absolutely knackered (haven't rotated the team at all for 6+ games, and it showed).

Your goal was a complete fluke, but that Mount chance is a goal 9 times out of 10 so whatever.... 

Will take it as a decent away point.

You lot will take it because we had the momentum for most of the game and you fell behind so it feels like a point gained. 

We will meet again at Carrow Road! 

I agree, you did play the better football overall, but were architects of your own downfall. I had hoped that the physical skullduggery of the Alex Neill (?) days had gone, but they were simply disguised under the football equivalent of fake glasses and moustache. As soon as you realised that the ref was a soft touch, it started. Apart from the forearm smash on Wilson that should have been a red (penalty or not), virtually every time we threatened to break away, there was a cynical foul. There should have been several yellow cards, but only one given, IIRC. Standing over the ball to prevent a quick free-kick is a yellow card offence, but you did it every single time without the ref doing anything. I reckon you can hear him run past you from the swishing noise as his thighs rub together, because he certainly hasn't got any balls in there to keep them apart.

And right near the end, your Number 10 went down as though his ankles had been hacked off with a chainsaw, but was up and running unhindered  back to the half-way line less than a minute later. The ref knew he was faking it, but still gave the free-kick, even though there was no physical contact.

It provoked a huge reaction from the players and fans alike and fired us up. We got the equaliser, and could have gone on to nick the winner with a bit of luck, as your defence looked really worried. If only we had started off like that, it could have been a different match. But if only you had simply continued to play the better football, without all the cheating (oh, and the blatant timewasting, I forgot to mention that) you would have cruised to the win.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

During the game Ill admit I was part of the £x million of players being on the bench not being played thinking. But I’m also really frustrated with what Nugent is contributing, which makes that worse (yet no one wants to criticise him because he runs about a bit). 

You are right, both Marriott and Waghorn came in after transfer sagas. Waghorn started well but dropped off and I don’t think there was anything wrong with taking him out and bringing him back in again now he’s had time to settle. Marriott has slowly been getting more time and can’t be that far away. It’ll be fine but we certainly need them soon because the front three aren’t creating enough 

Here Here. I mentioned this last night and got the usual (He is the best thing since sliced bread - come back)

Nuge is a good player, but we have to face the fact that 3 or 4 games in a short spell is too much for him.

Hell, some on here are saying it is too much for the youngsters, so what makes us think Nuge can do it?

He needs a rest, Marriott needs a run. So why not. 

If we were consistently winning/drawing and creating week in week out, then I can see a reason to not change, but we are not.

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Come on, you know what he means. There're not getting a great deal of game time. Ordinarily, I reckon when you've spent that amount of money on players you'd expect them, or at least one of them, to be in the starting 11 on a regular basis but, in Frank I trust.

Nope I don’t know what he means, Boro had a 7million striker on the bench before he got injured, Boro a 5m one, it’s not unusual. To bring in competition to a team you have to spend money, just because a player is already at the club are we saying that the new signings just because we have spent money on them should go straight in the team?

We are 12 games in, and people are questioning if the owner would give him more money based upon the signings that he has brought in, no suprise as fans nowadays imo expect immediate success, teams should roll over and let us win.

If in another 20 games we are still inconsistent, with the new signings still not featuring regularly, then yes I’d agree that you would have to question spending the cash on them, however if we are top of the league and they have only been contributing from the bench, are they still bad signings ??

As I said, Modern day fans, want success immediately and think we have a divine right to it.  

Archived