V Norwich (H) Match Thread

Millenniumram

Average tonight, final ball was poor. Wilson and Bennett offered very little (however Wilson a lot more than Bennett). Changes needed for QPR, Lawrence in for Bennett, Marriott for Nugent. Jofazoon and Waghorn as the impact subs. 

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth Bryson was my starman, he was everywhere putting in the miles and effort, a great example to the rest of the squad, so pleased he scored, can see Bryson being a very important cog in this team as the season goes on in fact I believe he will drive us into the top 6.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Is it just me or was that clearly a goal kick? Scuffed the shot wide and they get a corner/goal. 

Unfortunately it did take the very slightest touch on the way through. It’s one of those that you hear rather than see.  It was so slight , I thought at the time they would score!

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Time to start Marriott and Waghorn now. That was stale as duck

It as time at Bolton !

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Average tonight, final ball was poor. Wilson and Bennett offered very little (however Wilson a lot more than Bennett). Changes needed for QPR, Lawrence in for Bennett, Marriott for Nugent. Jofazoon and Waghorn as the impact subs. 

Sorry but why lawrence? Marriott yes give him a start and jo flo or waghorn for a wide start but Lawrence has been dreadful as a sub at both Bolton and tonight against Norwich 

I can understand why we stuck with the front 3 after United and Brentford but I agree we looked tired and out of ideas at times. Waghorn needs to start, his movement was good when he came on and ultimately he created the space for the goal and then provided the assist. Lawrence or Flo Jo in for Bennet who was very poor tonight, not sure what was up with him, looked lacklustre and wasn’t his usual all action self. His positional play as a winger was poor tonight as well, think he needs a rest and may be better as an impact sub. 

Plenty of positives, Johnson looked good again, Bryson improving, Keogh very good I thought and malone (although tired at the end) looked a pacier/better crossing version of Forsyth. Mount is brilliant and once Bogle sorts out his crossing we’ll have a hell of a right back, 

On 29/09/2018 at 20:30, DCFC1388 said:

Good point in the end. But underwhelmed by the performance. 

Thought the back 4 were good. Few stray passes from Keogh but he defended really well. Tomori started poorly but grew into the game. 

Full backs were fine. Although one gripe for me was the lack of support from the wingers. Everytime either full back got the ball whoever was on the wing drifted inside and then Malone or Bogle had to either run down the wing on their own or check back and go backwards. 

Bryson was good. Looks to be getting back to his best. Pleased he got a goal cos he deserved one. 

Johnson started slowly but grew into it and was very good in the end. 

Love watching Mount. Just the little things he does. Can see he's head and shoulders above anything we have and in all honesty should never be playing at this level. 

Wilson was ok. Bit lightweight. 

Nugent to me is an impact 20 minute player now. God love him. His work rate, his attitude is infectious. He started so well first 15/20 minutes. Then that was it. Doesn't offer enough of a threat and is sometime reacting to things to late. 

Bennett. I love the lad. I love seeing "one of own" playing for us. Love his work rate. But there's no way on earth he's a better footballer and poses more of a goalscoring/attacking threat than Waghorn, Lawrence or Jozefzoon (and im not a fan of Lawrence but he's a threat). I just don't get it. Not just based on tonight cos I'm pretty sure everything he touched tonight went to pot. Just based on the season. Yes he's done well in games when he's come on. But he's not the answer there for a side that has top 6 ambitions and it pains me to say it. But he never will be. 

For me it's about time Marriott was given a run of games. Now I'm not saying he's gonna be the goalscorer we need. He might not be. But the only way we'll know is if the lad gets a run of games like Nugent has had. 

Same with Waghorn. Surely now is the time he gets a run? Cos he's country miles better than Bennett. 

My team for Saturday would be:-

Carson, Bogle, Keogh, Tomori, Malone, Johnson, Mount, Bryson, Wilson, Marriott, Waghorn. 

But for what it's worth I think Frank will go with Waghorn up top and Lawrence on the wing instead of Bennett. 

I don't think it was as bad as many advertised. I was listening to Ramage talk utter balls on the way home, suggesting that we was dominated? We had more possession & more shots. It was an even game, but no idea why he has to put such a slant on it. 

My player ratings FWIW: 

Carson - 7

Bogle - 5
Keogh - 8
Tomori - 6
Malone - 5

Johnson - 7
Bryson - 6
Mount - 6

Bennett - 5
Nugent - 6
Wilson - 5

Keogh & Johnson I thought were comfortably our best outfield players. Tomori not doing his job at the corner allowed his man to have a free run at Keogh - no shielding at all which was evidently the plan. Aside from that he was alright. Bogle & Malone wasteful. Johnson the pick of the midfield. The front three, only Nugent really showed himself. He was simply asked far too much. 

QPR game: Jozefzoon needs to come back in. Waghorn needs a start. Malone deserves another chance. My team would be - Carson; Bogle, Keogh, Tomori, Malone; Johnson, Bryson, Mount; Jozefzoon, Waghorn, Wilson. 

Thought we looked a bit heavy legged at times, tended to give the ball away rather than make Norwich win it and they were far more savvy at conning a very weak and indecisive referee. Some awful decisions not helped by a complicit Linesman who would not raise his flag until the ref gave it. WTF is that all about? Norwich not a bad team but reduced to diving and time wasting to get a point at the end.

Wilson, Nuge and Bennett never really worried Norwich enough tonight. Tough game, finished strongly and maybe Marriott and/or Waghorn need a start.

Early days and we will improve, this season is even more widespread open than usual, 3 straight wins and your clear at the top, we are capable of doing it but maybe need to believe in our own ability a bit more.

I think we will be flying after Christmas instead of our normal new year flop.?❤️

It's harsh to suggest Bennett should be dropped for underperforming. He isn't underperforming, he just isn't good enough plain and simple. It's not his fault, it's his level. Seems like he's living off one moment he probably couldn't repeat given another 100 attempts (his cross against Reading).

I fully support him being around the squad and coming on. He has that Connor Sammon type threat where his sheer willingness and energy will create chances and prompt mistakes from the opposition. 

But he's a 15-minute late sub player only, and ever will be at this level.

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I don't think it was as bad as many advertised. I was listening to Ramage talk utter balls on the way home, suggesting that we was dominated? We had more possession & more shots. It was an even game, but no idea why he has to put such a slant on it. 

My player ratings FWIW: 

Carson - 7

Bogle - 5
Keogh - 8
Tomori - 6
Malone - 5

Johnson - 7
Bryson - 6
Mount - 6

Bennett - 5
Nugent - 6
Wilson - 5

Keogh & Johnson I thought were comfortably our best outfield players. Tomori not doing his job at the corner allowed his man to have a free run at Keogh - no shielding at all which was evidently the plan. Aside from that he was alright. Bogle & Malone wasteful. Johnson the pick of the midfield. The front three, only Nugent really showed himself. He was simply asked far too much. 

QPR game: Jozefzoon needs to come back in. Waghorn needs a start. Malone deserves another chance. My team would be - Carson; Bogle, Keogh, Tomori, Malone; Johnson, Bryson, Mount; Jozefzoon, Waghorn, Wilson. 

I’d give Bogle a rest I think he has had two poor games. Give Wisdom a run out see if he can play for his place.

4 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I’d give Bogle a rest I think he has had two poor games. Give Wisdom a run out see if he can play for his place.

I'd personally play him with Jozefzoon as both of them are more technically minded. Ironically, Bennett & Wisdom probably work better as a duo. 

Think it was a performance lacking a spark and to be honest didn’t think we’d score after 35 mins of second half but think Waghorn made a difference when came on

i personally would leave Bennett out altogether this sat and give the lad a rest its a tight compact pitch at loftus road and although it’ll never happen I’d like to see us go 442 with Marriott and Waghorn up top with Jozefsoon and Wilson wide ...that means one of mid 3 being left out ...the midfield could be congested on sat so a bit of genuine width might help and let’s see if Waghorn and Marriott can form a partnership ....

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It's harsh to suggest Bennett should be dropped for underperforming. He isn't underperforming, he just isn't good enough plain and simple. It's not his fault, it's his level. Seems like he's living off one moment he probably couldn't repeat given another 100 attempts (his cross against Reading).

I fully support him being around the squad and coming on. He has that Connor Sammon type threat where his sheer willingness and energy will create chances and prompt mistakes from the opposition. 

Absolutely could not agree more with this. 

Wherever he goes after Derby. He'll never play higher than the level he's at now. 

12 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I actually think with coaching, Bogle can significant.y enhance his decision making process and thus become an even better footballer.

First half tonight he was good, then second half he looked like he thought he was invincible and made mistake after mistake.

He was found in space a lot of times tonight (often from super Johnson long range passing) but not once did any of these end up with a decent cross in. 

However there was one point in the first half when he cut in field with the ball around half way line under pressure, 80% of players would have gone back to Carson as he was under pressure but he calmly shielded the ball from the Norwich player and ended up in the middle of the pitch ready to build again instead of the ball going back to Carson.

With better players around him (a right attacking winger who offers something), Bogle will grow and develop.

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Tonight confirmed to me that Bennett & Nugent should not be starting.

I Agree with Bennett not starting, his confidence seems shot and seems far more effective against tired legs, he needs to be running, he looks panicked when passing in tight situations and can't dribble round a man but is constantly in that position. The  Nuge not starting is kinda putting him out to stud. He was the only one really pressuring defendersI tonight as usual, good example was nuge pressuring the keeper while pointing at the RB (to be pressured) turning to see this didn’t happen the doing that himself, it must annoy him. But I don’t see him as an impact player so??

1 minute ago, Ruda Harliss said:

I Agree with Bennett not starting, his confidence seems shot and seems far more effective against tired legs, he needs to be running, he looks panicked when passing in tight situations and can't dribble round a man but is constantly in that position. The  Nuge not starting is kinda putting him out to stud. He was the only one really pressuring defendersI tonight as usual, good example was nuge pressuring the keeper while pointing at the RB (to be pressured) turning to see this didn’t happen the doing that himself, it must annoy him. But I don’t see him as an impact player so??

His goal against Brentford shows his class when we actually putting a ball over the top for him

27 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Bennett would be better in the Nugent role rather than out wide. Would love to see him get a couple of games there personally.

Archived