V Norwich (H) Match Thread

Millenniumram

Where Do I Begin..........you lot above need to chill......get down with The Chemicals & Beth Orton and get yourself up with the Rams.

We just played the form team Norwich and nearly won it. I enjoyed the game, the battle and it's a good point and a positive performance, try and enjoy your football club, it's an honour and a privillage being a Derby County supporter.

Up The Rams!

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

Malone is great at attacking but I didn’t feel he was too brilliant defensively. 

Really? I thought most of his play was quite negatively sideways/backwards, to be fair tho there were times when the midfield hid when he was in space with the ball. I do think fozzy would’ve been more effective tonight going forward 

8 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Where Do I Begin..........you lot above need to chill......get down with The Chemicals & Beth Orton and get yourself up with the Rams.

We just played the form team Norwich and nearly won it. I enjoyed the game, the battle and it's a good point and a positive performance, try and enjoy your football club, it's an honour and a privillage being a Derby County supporter.

Up The Rams!

Ohh.  Getting dangerously close to Tori Amos with these picks.  That can't be allowed in civilised society.   Perhaps a bit of Sigur Ros instead or maybe Kate Bush's Aerial lp.  Even Little fluffy cloud's by the Orb - not heard that in age's.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

It's harsh to suggest Bennett should be dropped for underperforming. He isn't underperforming, he just isn't good enough plain and simple. It's not his fault, it's his level. Seems like he's living off one moment he probably couldn't repeat given another 100 attempts (his cross against Reading).

I fully support him being around the squad and coming on. He has that Connor Sammon type threat where his sheer willingness and energy will create chances and prompt mistakes from the opposition. 

But he's a 15-minute late sub player only, and ever will be at this level.

Not sure I saw the word ‘underperforming ‘  in the comments ( I’m probably wrong) about MB, I think most posters think he is looking more and more out of his depth, and playing him in a position that is not playing to his strengths don’t help 

Not the greatest or poorest performance we'll see this year but one of those going through the motions nights. 

Still think we're relying too much on the back 4 to make something happen. Whilst I don't think any of the midfield 3 had a poor game they still aren't taking responsibility enough for my liking. Bogle and Keogh asked to do too much. Malone pretty much isolated down his side all night. All three were berated throughout the night for losing possession easily at times but their lack of options is disturbing. 

Agree we need to freshen things up at the weekend. We're a couple of partnerships off being a good team I think. Our fullbacks don't currently have any good partnerships or interplay with the forwards in front of them, vice versa for the forwards too. It's all a bit solo at the moment, give it to Mount or Wilson to make something happen. Hopefully it'll come with time but not a lot of progress shown tonight. 

A good point in the end, Norwich were good value for theirs. 

47 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Bennett would be better in the Nugent role rather than out wide. Would love to see him get a couple of games there personally.

Do you honestly think Bennett should be the man leading the line for an aspiring promotion challenging side?

He might feel more comfortable upfront, but I don’t think he has many goals in him at all.

I can see him becoming one of those hardworking but little quality wide players. Not enough goals in him to be a regular striker at this level or the one below. Out wide, he would probably fit in at somewhere like Burton.

Better players have come through for us and dropped lower.

7 hours ago, Sparkle said:

It as time at Bolton !

Sorry but why lawrence? Marriott yes give him a start and jo flo or waghorn for a wide start but Lawrence has been dreadful as a sub at both Bolton and tonight against Norwich 

I’m not bothered actually out of Lawrence, Flo or Waghorn just as long as it’s not Bennett. The blokes just not good enough at this level 

I’m not going to go into the ins and outs of it all.

Decent,enjoyable to watch game of football.

It’s so much more enjoyable to watch Derby play this year even if we’ve got some way to go.

How come Bradley Johnson looks like a world beater?

Bloody hell he looked good. 

My thoughts on last night...Norwich are a good, well-organised side and a point was a fair result.

First half we played very similar styles of passing football and cancelled each other out. Neither side had that cutting edge.

They were clearly told to come out and rough us up in the second half. Shame they also started time wasting and diving with over half an hour still to go. In fact, some of the play acting they did was embarrassing. Thought we looked better after Lawrence and Waghorn came on and played well for the last ten to fifteen minutes and desrved the equaliser.

We’ll see better and worse performances than that going forward. Overall, not unhappy with the point, but the performance was a bit meh. But absolutely no need for wrist slashing. Norwich are a good side.

The positive again was Bradley Johnson. Keogh, excellent. Kept going against a decent Norwich side. We’re not fluid at the moment. Some players looked a bit leggy. We’re taking that second too long on passes. Can almost hear the cogs turning in the player’s heads. We need to get to playing much more instinctively and develop partnerships on the pitch when going forward. Atm, there’s too many “instinctive” passes going backwards. 

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I don't think it was as bad as many advertised. I was listening to Ramage talk utter balls on the way home, suggesting that we was dominated? We had more possession & more shots. It was an even game, but no idea why he has to put such a slant on it. 

I heard that on the way home too.  He was having a serious paddy with Chris Coles because he wasn’t joining in with the Ramage and Dawes whine session and was trying to put things in context -  obviously wasn’t the greatest performance but listening to those two idiots you’d think we’d got turned over 5-0 or something.  As usual they completely ignored the fact that we were playing an obviously good team and we aren’t quite there yet... however, I still prefer what we seem to be trying to do (even if it looks a bit manic at times) than the alternative.

FWIW I like seeing my midfielders getting stuck in and putting a few sliding tackles in as opposed to just staying tight and just ‘jockeying for position’ all the time.  I know the purests on here don’t really see ‘effort’ as particularly worthwhile, but even though we were under the kosh last night at times, at least I always thought they were trying to press and get into people.  Clearly more composure needed on the ball and better final balls etc but I think we are just a smidge away from cracking it.  Still relatively early days for a learning manager.

Personally thought Malone was ok.  Bennett probably needs ‘a rest’ though I think some of the criticism is harsh. Nuge ditto.  Bryson deserves the bit of luck.  Overall I don’t think it was great, but not the worst performance and we nabbed a semi-fortunate point.  Not losing sleep over where we are or how we are doing thus far.

13 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I’m not going to go into the ins and outs of it all.

Decent,enjoyable to watch game of football.

It’s so much more enjoyable to watch Derby play this year even if we’ve got some way to go.

How come Bradley Johnson looks like a world beater?

Bloody hell he looked good. 

Always liked Johnson and always thought his criticism on here and elsewhere has been unjustified (like Bennett’s is right now) but I think Bryson’s influence is helping him. Those two are building a nice little working partnership that’s going under the radar.

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

I actually think with coaching, Bogle can significant.y enhance his decision making process and thus become an even better footballer.

First half tonight he was good, then second half he looked like he thought he was invincible and made mistake after mistake.

He was found in space a lot of times tonight (often from super Johnson long range passing) but not once did any of these end up with a decent cross in. 

However there was one point in the first half when he cut in field with the ball around half way line under pressure, 80% of players would have gone back to Carson as he was under pressure but he calmly shielded the ball from the Norwich player and ended up in the middle of the pitch ready to build again instead of the ball going back to Carson.

With better players around him (a right attacking winger who offers something), Bogle will grow and develop.

I noticed that too. It's good to see that one of our defensive unit sees going back to Carson as a genuine last resort.

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Bennett would be better in the Nugent role rather than out wide. Would love to see him get a couple of games there personally.

Not saying you're wrong but just wondering what makes you think this?

Surely you want your centre forward to be able to score goals?

From wikipedia, Bennett has 4 goals in 68 appearances, I'd expect my centre backs to have goal scoring stats like that!

10 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

one all at full time.

2 decent championship teams played a decent game. A draw probably fair overall.

I do like the character of this side, and that we search for late goals. Neither goal was pretty, but both sides worked jard and played decent stuff in patches.

I still get the feeling there's a really good Derby side there just needing coaxing out somehow.

This,  we are nearly a good side which is fair enough at this moment in time considering our net spend in the close season.We are lacking a real leader ,a bit of belief at times and a consistent settled team .

Definitely work in progress looking at that performance last night the thing that worries me is we could still go either way ,Frank needs a bob or two in the Jan window.

Archived