v Brentford (H) Match Thread

Boycie

I  have to say I didn't see that performance coming, Wilson was absolutely brilliant on the left he looks much better on the left than he does on the right side. Nugent took his goal brilliantly and his all round game is as good as you will see in the championship . I have to admit I wanted Marriott to start but after that performance from Nugent I can see why Lampard prefers Nuge. Bogle played very well apart from not shooting when  he had a chance and overplaying at times, Mount was Motm for me he is probably the best player in the league and is already good enough for England. Tomori and Keogh were both very solid and I can see davies struggling to get back in the team. Johnson and Bryson were vey good today, the best performance from Bryson I have seen in years , Bennet played ok and worked hard but he needs to get in scoring positions more and sometimes I think he tracks back so much it affects his ability to be in position going forward. Forsyth was decent defensively but his first touch and attacking play was crap as per usual and his positioning at times wasn't the best , at one point I noticed he pressed when the defence was deep on the edge of the box and he let someone in behind him but overall he was ok. Carson didn't have much to do but his kicking was a bit better than usual.

Overall a great performance, and if we can keep playing at a high tempo with great pressing and fast passing we should be good enough to push for automatic promotion, we need to replicate that performance away from home against physical teams if we are going to go up.  The loan signings of Wilson, mount an Tomori have been great additions but I would like to see Waghorn get a bit more game time so hopefully he starts against Man u on Tuesday.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think another point about todays display and show of character that seems to being missed is that half of the outfield players are 22 and under as well as being inexperienced at this level.

Bogle (18) - First season at this level & in first team football

Tomori (20) - 3rd loan spell at this level but kind of playing out of position being on the left of the CB pairing

Wilson (21) - first full season at this level and in first team football

Mount (19) - only his 2nd season in first team football but the first in the Championship

Bennett (22) - yes he has been around for a long time but this is his first proper season established in the first team at this level

Massive credit to Lampard in his first job as manager to be brave enough to rely on so many inexperienced youth players and their character today was top class after being a goal down in 44secs. Also, must be said that the experienced pros are leading by example too.

The first half reminded me of performances like 5 - 0 v forest and 4 - 1 v Brighton 5 years ago. This is the football I have been craving. If we can gain some momentum we can take off. Second half was more game management than performance. Well done to the team today and we’ll done Frank if we play like that first half you will have a very happy Gritters.

My five pennyworth...

This side oozes class throughout. Mason Mount will quite possibly play for England this season, but it is far from a one-man show. Tomori was so classy, Keogh was, well, Keogh, Bogle is the beast that Wisdom would hope to be, and Craig Bryson is a hurricane of fresh air. Up front, Bennett ran himself into the ground and Nugent is such a clever player. Johnson looked the player we first signed - fantastic ball for Nugent's goal and he broke up countless attacks. As for the rest - all made telling contributions at key times. Tomori is electric, and had me comparing him to some of our great ball-playing centre-backs of bygone years.

An electric all-round performance - two totally different halves but Derby equally impressive from a defensive perspective in the second, closing the game out nicely to preserve my Derby 3 Brentford 1 and FRGS Wilson prediction.

Happy day - now for a St Bernardus Abt 12. 

9 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I think another point about todays display and show of character that seems to being missed is that half of the outfield players are 22 and under as well as being inexperienced at this level.

Tomori (20) - 3rd loan spell at this level but kind of playing out of position being on the left of the CB pairing

Mount (19) - only his 2nd season in first team football but the first in the Championship

Bennett (22) - yes he has been around for a long time but this is his first proper season established in the first team at this level

Massive credit to Lampard in his first job as manager to be brave enough to rely on so many inexperienced youth players and their character today was top class after being a goal down in 44secs. Also, must be said that the experienced pros are leading by example too.

Only downside is that 3 of those 5 wont have a future with us ... unless we buy tomori. Wilson and mount we definately arent going to get back next season

15 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

years ago MM said his dream was he wanted to see us in the prem with 2 or 3 home grown players in the side, and i  was on board.... fully.  Bring it on!  i'll even settle for 'home gown' as being English youth which has been developed by us, e.g. buy these guys from their parent club and let Frank and Jody develop them, yes i know a couple of them are already ours, but buy youth... we have the best two young (kids buy more into people nearer their age than lets say Hodgson) individuals at the top to inspire and develop them..

Absolutely the best all round performance from Derby  in a long time. Every single man on that pitch put in 100% and it showed. Back four were excellent, Tomori in particular, midfield clicked, I was so pleased I saw the Bryson of old today, Wilson really was a nuisance, Brentford  couldn’t handle him and  Mount the magnificent along with with Nugent were outstanding. Carson didnt have an awful lot to do but looked more confident in playing out from the back. Bennett once again put a shift in and I was willing him to score, subs were good tactically, game management applied well. I for one thoroughly enjoyed it and hope we can keep it up, well done Rams!!

57 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I refuse to believe that Bennett weighs only 64kg, being 6kg lighter than Harry Wilson. He’s built like a machine

He's small, mate. His bone structure is tiny. I have a pic of him stood next to a 15 year old kid from the Notts County game and their shoulder width is not far off each other. 

He has muscle, but it looks more because it is on a tiny frame with low body fat.

He has more muscle, especially on his legs than most footballers, but the weight is about right.

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

He's small, mate. His bone structure is tiny. I have a pic of him stood next to a 15 year old kid from the Notts County game and their shoulder width is not far off each other. 

He has muscle, but it looks more because it is on a tiny frame with low body fat.

He has more muscle, especially on his legs than most footballers, but the weight is about right.

No way he only ways 10 and a half stone. Two years ago maybe but not this season. 

15 minutes ago, 86 points said:

No way he only ways 10 and a half stone. Two years ago maybe but not this season. 

Easy is. I am 5'8 and weigh 13 stone 8.

I can deadlift over 200kg. Bit of a tank. I have stood next to him. He is small.

I also have a pic of a 15 year old and a 13 year old on my phone stood next to him from after the Notts County game. I will Pm you it. Can't be arsed to blur faces etc out to put on here.

33 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Only downside is that 3 of those 5 wont have a future with us ... unless we buy tomori. Wilson and mount we definately arent going to get back next season

That is a downside but we do have Lawrence (24), Holmes (23), Evans (23) & Marriott (24) who do have a future with us...the last 3 all players who will imo eventually establish themselves as regulars in the squad

That was astounding! I expected a tough game because Brentford are one of the best footballing teams in the Championship, and know how to score. So to go a goal down after only 40 seconds or so was worrying. In previous seasons, and even early this season we wold have folded, but not today. Almost straight away we set about finding our feet and then let them have it.After about 10 minutes there seemed to be only one team in it.

I thought on Tuesday night that I hadn't seen such a sustained period of pressure like that for years, but that was nothing compared with today. Although Brentford are good on the ball, they looked scared every time we had the ball, and when they tried to break, we had the answer, simply picking them off as they tried to play through. it was probably better than the Mac 1 days, it was that good, and knew that 1 goal for us would win the game.

It came from an awful corner by Brentford which went to Mason Mount at the side of our penalty area. It was quickly whipped forwards and with only three or four passes was in the back of the net.  WOW! How many times have we been punished when we have made a mistake? And how many times have we failed to punish the opposition for their mistake? Today we were not only cynical, we were surgical. The second came from a great through ball by Bradley Johnson, who had a stonking game, yet again. For the third, it looked like the keeper had done his homework on Mount's free-kicks, which he expected to be to his right, and probably low down. So Mount went over the top and to the keeper's left. The keeper didn't get near it. Great free-kick! To top it all, we had just witnessed the ref go the entire first half with hardly an error. Can it get any better?

Well the ref must have had a phone call from the EFL at half-time threatening him with the sack for being so fair and even-handed, and he dutifully reverted to type for the second half. Some of his decisions were beyond comprehension, but actually it didn't matter one iota because the game was already won. We still threatened, but it wasn't at the high-speed, bust-a-gut manner of the first. Instead it was much more measured, as we controlled and managed the game. It says plenty that it was 60 minutes before Keogh had to dive in with a block, and that coming from good Brentford play, rather than our own short-comings!

Yet again, I didn't see anybody having a poor game, and yet again everybody was playing with confidence. And to see Tomori playing as a forward is astounding. When I first watched videos of him, I immediately though "George Thorne, but with a number 5 on his back". That would be George at his prime, but I think Tomori has more in his locker, so that is some compliment.

And maybe the difference in the first half was the high tempo, and the closing down and harrying. Brentford weren't given a moment to breathe. We also seem to know were other players are and can find them with our passes. We have seen how beneficial closing down our opponents is in fits and starts, and over the years have turned matches around, but after about 20 minutes we would go back to standing off the opposition again, or not even bother with in the next match. Today we pressed for the entire first half, and stayed pretty tight during the second.

Have we turned the corner, and found our midfield. Frank said "NO", but dropped a massive hint that maybe he had during his post match interview. I also reckon Curtis Davis is going to have a difficult job getting back into the team the way things are going. So too is Tom Lawrence.

If we can keep those sort of performance going regularly, automatics isn't beyond the realms of possibility. The future is starting to look very good, and there here and now is pretty dammed enjoyable!

Bring on the manure!

Archived