v Brentford (H) Match Thread

Boycie

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with Marriott coming on to get these late minutes is he's obviously playing to link up, and there's zero urgency and/or energy around him. So he gets the ball, then either has to hold it for ages (which he's doing quite well tbf) or try and take on at least 2 defenders. He's also chasing clearances that aren't going in-behind, so he's having aerial duels with people twice his height. 

I don't think we're ever going to see much from him if this is the only time he's given the opportunity to contribute. 

Just now, SaintRam said:

The problem with Marriott coming on to get these late minutes is he's obviously playing to link up, and there's zero urgency and/or energy around him. So he gets the ball, then either has to hold it for ages or try and take on at least 2 defenders. He's also chasing clearances that aren't going in-behind, so he's having aerial duels with people twice his height. 

I don't think we're ever going to see much from him if this is the only time he's given the opportunity to contribute. 

I was thinking the exact same thing. We’d see more from him if was to play when the rest of the team haven’t already ran themselves into the ground. 

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

The problem with Marriott coming on to get these late minutes is he's obviously playing to link up, and there's zero urgency and/or energy around him. So he gets the ball, then either has to hold it for ages or try and take on at least 2 defenders. He's also chasing clearances that aren't going in-behind, so he's having aerial duels with people twice his height. 

Totally agree, we'd already surrendered 20 odd yards so seems pointless bringing him on. Exactly the same thing happened Tuesday night, it just gave the Brentford defenders an easy last 20. Waghorn seems to be a bit of a unit so maybe a better option than Marriott in these situations, unfortunately for Jack he's not giving us anything. 

Top win, first half again spot on bar the first minute. Second half we defended brilliantly, didn't need to venture too far forward. 

Why worry about Marriott when we've just beaten Brentford 3-1? I'd say Frank is getting it right at the moment and as and when young Jack is ready to step up, I'm sure Frank and Jody will give him his chance. Bit frustrating for Jack no doubt, but he has time on his side. Meanwhile, we're back in the play-off slots and starting to look like a proper team. COYR

Just now, 86 points said:

Why worry about Marriott when we've just beaten Brentford 3-1? I'd say Frank is getting it right at the moment and as and when young Jack is ready to step up, I'm sure Frank and Jody will give him his chance. Bit frustrating for Jack no doubt, but he has time on his side. Meanwhile, we're back in the play-off slots and starting to look like a proper team. COYR

I'm not worrying. I don't think its something Frank and Jody are getting wrong, I was speaking with regard to some... opinions that have recently been shared about young Jack.

A really pleasing second half for completely different reasons to the first.

We were creating chance after chance in the first half, controlling the game and going forward with ease. The way Brentford played suited us and we were given more opportunity to show off our talents than we'd be allowed against the likes of Blackburn or Rotherham. In the second half we weren't so urgent and didn't create as many clear opportunities, but we still were the better team. Brentford offered very little, I don't think Carson even made a save in the second half. I was impressed with our game management and I couldn't really pinpoint a single player as not having a good game.

All in all it was a pretty perfect afternoon from the 2nd minute of the game onwards.

Archived