v Brentford (H) Match Thread

Boycie

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bryson is also only 60kg, Johnson 68kg, Huddlestone 80kg and Keogh’s the fatty at 87kg.

Somehow I’m heavier than all of them ☹️

Not a fluffing chance Johnson is 68kg. 

For perspective Chris Froome although an inch taller is 70kg and he looks ill. Johno is 80kg all day long

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Mount is, of course, fabulous, but I thought it a bit of a waste when he tried to score from that freekick miles out on the wing instead of a whipped ball into the box

There were a few in the south stand that said he should go for it, myself included. Keeper was stood right on his back post. It was very close, just got a bit too much whip on it. 

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Wow,a brilliant game today,an absolute joy to watch.....

It's like we are back in 2014....it's the best I've seen since Mac1's time here.

Wonderful day out,cheers Frank.

You have never left 2014 Kash ?

I called Lampard out earlier today for ..

a) .. Not playing Huddlestone

b) .. Playing Nugent instead of Marriott

and

c) Letting Martin go on loan

So what happened today ? Bradley Johnson had a blinder, and Nugent did well and scored ! 

However, I still stand by my belief that we will need Huddlestone and Marriott in the longer run, and it was a mistake to let Martin go. Why ? Because although today was our best performance by a mile, it was against another ‘good footballing’ team in Brentford, a team that allows us to play on an equal footing. When we come up against a team such as Rotherham or Blackburn who won’t (or can’t) compete on a level playing field of free flowing football, then we haven’t got the craft or guile to find a way through.

Best f

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Wow,a brilliant game today,an absolute joy to watch.....

It's like we are back in 2014....it's the best I've seen since Mac1's time here.

Wonderful day out,cheers Frank.

I concur, best football since Mac1. 1st half was delicious ?. Mount and Bryson were everywhere all game, unbelievable energy. Loved it, passion, energy, fight and skill, fantastic ! 

A few thoughts about the game. Some of this is the BrewDog speaking, but still...

I haven't enjoyed 45 minutes of football as much as that first half since 13/14. It was almost like the first minute goal was irrelevant. We just played as though it hadn't happened, and in the remaining 89 minutes delivered one of the trademark 3-0 home wins that characterised (much of) that glorious season.

All the hype about Mason Mount... is true. What a player. Technique, time, strength, vision and goal threat. He is going to be remembered as England's greatest midfielder since Gascoigne.

Bogle - ought to make his England debut on the same day as MM. I really mean that. Will Hughes is the only player I have ever seen who was as accomplished aged 18.

Wilson - I thought until today that he was a bit of a mardy kid. Now I can see he can play too. He was electric first half. Disappointed that he didn't pass when he was through after the break - would have been a certain 4-1. Lamps alluded to it in his interview on RD. He'll learn.

Johnson - I have never been a fan. Somehow he has become a better footballer. It can only be the coaching. Wow.

Tomori and Keogh - Davies must be preparing for an extended spell on the bench. Never saw that coming.

Forsyth - I'm just delighted for him. He must have thought he was finished at Derby. He's back.

Best of all, it was such a great performance, and Bryson was the beating heart of the team. Received wisdom says he's a player who is "everywhere". Today he was. Deserved MOTM without a doubt, and I couldn't be happier about it.

What's not to like about the Lampard era? He has bonded with the fans already. His daughter has been born in Derbyshire. He is bringing the best out of Bennett and Nugent. Love it.

Young Mount is already some player and when he  fills out and becomes stronger then he will be unplayable in the future.With luck with injuries then Chelsea and England are going to be  blessed.

In the meantime what a talent for our young academy players to be around strive to become.

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

One or two have alluded to it but a shout out from me for Fikayo Tomori. What a good player he is. So good on the ball and quite an athlete. All the focus is on Mount understandably but this boy is also going to the top. Hope its with us but I doubt it. 

Very happy to be proven wrong on him after the Leeds and Millwall debacle. After a poor loan spell at Hull (playing out of position it seems), he has been very impressive here. 

More I think about it, this game was so similar to the Leeds game..... but we were Leeds. 

Still maintain we played them too early in the season, and the result would of been different later on 

34 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

I called Lampard out earlier today for ..

a) .. Not playing Huddlestone

b) .. Playing Nugent instead of Marriott

and

c) Letting Martin go on loan

So what happened today ? Bradley Johnson had a blinder, and Nugent did well and scored ! 

However, I still stand by my belief that we will need Huddlestone and Marriott in the longer run, and it was a mistake to let Martin go. Why ? Because although today was our best performance by a mile, it was against another ‘good footballing’ team in Brentford, a team that allows us to play on an equal footing. When we come up against a team such as Rotherham or Blackburn who won’t (or can’t) compete on a level playing field of free flowing football, then we haven’t got the craft or guile to find a way through.

I didn't see the Rotherham game so can't comment, but I watched the Blackburn game on RamsTV and I didn't feel the craft and guile to break them down was missing tbh.

It felt like one of those games that if you played it 10x, we'd win 8, lose 1 and draw 1.

Even their manager was full of praise for the way we attempted to counteract their style.

We're still in the infancy of the Lampard era, I'd bet we will find our way around such teams more often than not moving forward.

Whether we'll find the solution quick enough to really push for automatic promotion this season I couldn't really say, but we've kind of misfired our way into a position where we're 2 points off top, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Archived