Mason Bennett

robglosta

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well if we had paid £1-2 million in the summer for him I think we would be fairly pleased ?

Think this is a good point, if he’d cost £1.5m after a promising few months in league 2/1 last year then we’d be happy with his start. 

If you compare it to McClean costing Stoke £6m+ I know who I’d rather have in my squad... 

also, only dawned on me yesterday that he’s left footed! 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Think this is a good point, if he’d cost £1.5m after a promising few months in league 2/1 last year then we’d be happy with his start. 

If you compare it to McClean costing Stoke £6m+ I know who I’d rather have in my squad... 

But he is very good with both feet - remember the cross at Reading ?

5 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

He’s right footed...

2 hours ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

He looks lots better but he isn’t 1 of our best 2 wingers.

Probably accurate but with Wilson injured, he’s getting more of a chance and if he puts in good performances like he has done, why should he lose his place?

He’s surprised me as I wouldn’t have been that against letting him go, as he has been around an awfully long time without making a significant breakthrough. It’s easy to forget that he is still only 22.

But has he been any worse than any of our wingers last season? I wouldn’t say so. Very early days but comparing Bennett’s performances to Weimann or Russell from last season, I’d have Mason starting over either of those so full credit to him.

21 minutes ago, angieram said:

I know! It's one of my pet hate phrases as of course it's impossible, but the way he used it made it more acceptable.  I don't think that was deliberate but I do think that is the philosophy that Lampard is embedding. 

Just keep doing better - always look for continuous improvement. There is evidence out there on the pitch that players are taking that on board.

I suppose if "100%" represents the maximum a player THINKS that they can give, then 110% and 120% represent taking yourself to the limit but then pushing on further... summed up by Nugent's 2nd wind from 75 mins (when he was set to be subbed) to 90 mins yesterday!

25 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Probably accurate but with Wilson injured, he’s getting more of a chance and if he puts in good performances like he has done, why should he lose his place?

He’s surprised me as I wouldn’t have been that against letting him go, as he has been around an awfully long time without making a significant breakthrough. It’s easy to forget that he is still only 22.

But has he been any worse than any of our wingers last season? I wouldn’t say so. Very early days but comparing Bennett’s performances to Weimann or Russell from last season, I’d have Mason starting over either of those so full credit to him.

Mason is stronger defensively with his aggression and hard work - more a pace and power wide player than tricky winger.  Like others have said, I personally think his best position will be as a central striker - whether he gets that chance with us or ultimately moves on remains to be seen.  For the time being he is an extremely useful member of the squad and fully deserves the chance he’s getting at the moment.

2 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

His play reminds me a lot of Waghorn. He is quick and direct with great work ethic, but only has one or two tricks to get past a defender.

At the moment his does not have the calmness of finish - but if he develops that - how much is a quicker version of Waghorn worth?

Sturridge Mark II?

Remember watching him play down the middle a good few years ago at a England u17’s game.

He absolutely bossed the opposition with raw pace and power, he was physically so much stronger than his age group. Scoed goals and terrorised them in the manner you describe. People forget in his youth he was quite prolific and a real goal threat.

Think he tried to play the sane when he stepped up but wasn’t as effective against full grown men. Now he’s got more physically stronger he’s doing it again.

He’s another that if you play in his natural position the results will follow. He did well yesterday but will do better down the middle; the only thing that will stop Mason is his injuries. The lad needs some luck, but being a speedster, just like Sturridge, he will do his hammy’s every so often.

He does a similar job in build up play, albeit in a different style, to Dawkins under McClaren. He acts as a wide target man recycling possession when the CF is cut off or being physically dominated. Perhaps Tudgay under Burley is a better comparison. 

15 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Im happy for him... i was beging to think he’d never make it ... in past seasons he’s looked decent in spells & not so good in others... thought it was make or break & he’d be out. Was beging tp think he was overrated like Hanson because he was one of our own... glad to see him do well. Hope he can keep it up & push on. He looks dangerous when he’s on it 

If you are not fast then Mason Bennett will make you look you are not fit. If he can continue to get good crosses in then what else can you ask for? Potential £6 million player if fit.

Frank is not pandering to expensive or established players. Produce the goods or you are not playing. How are you going to tell Frank that you are a good player with his record. 

16 hours ago, TexasRam said:

I don’t think you’re  idiots by any stretch, but I think some are clinging onto the fact just because he’s a Derby lad we must lord it evrytime he has a 6/10 performance. In my opinion for us to progress then a player with his ability shouldn’t be in the starting 11. Again I’ll stress it’s my opinion and generally means very little (apart from I was right about Clement, Rowett, Blackman, Anya, Butterfield and Bent) 

I gave him 8 out of 10 he took preston on loads of times made some brillient runs and passes what game were you watching unlucky not to score.

Football is all about opinions, for me Nugent was star man, but Mason and Keogh came very close, hope Mason Bennett makes it at Derby, loved his hunger and attitude, hope his injury is not to bad and he is fit to start at Hull next Saturday, has worked really hard to make it at Derby my fingers are crossed for the lad, to have a good season at Derby, he deserves a bit of luck. Loved the standing ovation he got when he came off.

14 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Well spotted. Reading that back, it is an obvious statement. What I meant is that he'd played well in the pre-season games and seemed to have established himself in Rowetts thinking. He then got injured and never got another look in. 

My apologies for being a next tuesday type. Can't help me sen sometimes.??

Surely a massive positive that we've had Bogle, Mason, Keogh and Nugent mentioned for MOTM. My take from that is that it was a decent team performance. Personally I think Mason's performance stood out as even this season, he's been on the peripheries of the team and having been given his chance, he grabbed it with two hands. He'll improve massively under Lampard as he totally buys into the Frank's ethos. I'm not convinced the same can be said for one or two others who are not current first team regulars. All in all, a big season beckons for the lad, or I hope as much anyway. The doubters may be right but I'll back Mason to prove them wrong.

19 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Surely a massive positive that we've had Bogle, Mason, Keogh and Nugent mentioned for MOTM. My take from that is that it was a decent team performance. Personally I think Mason's performance stood out as even this season, he's been on the peripheries of the team and having been given his chance, he grabbed it with two hands. He'll improve massively under Lampard as he totally buys into the Frank's ethos. I'm not convinced the same can be said for one or two others who are not current first team regulars. All in all, a big season beckons for the lad, or I hope as much anyway. The doubters may be right but I'll back Mason to prove them wrong.

The only thing stopping Mason being a good player is opportunity and injury. He's got the physical attributes to be a decent player.

43 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The only thing stopping Mason being a good player is opportunity and injury. He's got the physical attributes to be a decent player.

Hope I'm not tempting fate but I've a sense he's through that phase. Right now you feel that if he ran flat out into a brick wall, it'd hurt the wall more than Mason.

Archived