Mason Bennett

robglosta

@TexasRam I agree with you that I don't think Mason Bennett will ultimately make it with us over a period of time, and I actually think Wilson and/or Josefzoon (spelling!) will take over the position as they will contribute more goals/assists over time however, today Benntt did contribute more than Lawrence and Bryson. Therefore, he should be given the plaudits for a decent (6.5/7 - for more you need goals and assists asks an attacking player) performance.

Keogh, despite a couple of errors, was MOTM for us. He took responsibility, made some huge defensive headers, sometimes two in a row and came up with a goal where he complexly out powered their guy.

The very fact they announced MOTM before we even reached 80 minutes was embarrassing in itself.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was absolutely delighted for Bennett today, it almost looked like he came of age. I’ve been critical of his devolpment in the past and must admit I didn’t think he was going to ever make it here, but he’s gained a control and awareness he hasn’t had before. He was my MOM today and it’s fantastic to see an academy graduate have that sort of an impact. Personally I still think he’ll be better long term as a striker rather than a winger as he’s not as good at taking a man on as other wingers we have, but he thoroughly deserves his place after that performance.

I wonder what he thought when he walked off the pitch listening to 5,000 people singing "he's one of our own". Hope he has a great season for us.

I remember watching us beat Tranmere 5-1 in the cup with a teenage midfield of Will Hughes and Jeff Hendrick with Mason Bennett  in front and thinking we have a fantastic future.

Mason could still be a star.

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Wow people really think that, wow ! 

It seems that you are one of the few people who wasn't impressed. Now either you were wearing blinkers or an awful lot of other people were.

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Oh god the “you can’t say anything against a player brigade” I’m not slagging him off, I just don’t think he’s good enough to take us forward.

Except I'm not in that brigade at all. Player criticism is fine, as long as it's justified. How can you justify criticising Mason?

5 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I wonder what he thought when he walked off the pitch listening to 5,000 people singing "he's one of our own". Hope he has a great season for us.

I remember watching us beat Tranmere 5-1 in the cup with a teenage midfield of Will Hughes and Jeff Hendrick with Mason Bennett  in front and thinking we have a fantastic future.

Mason could still be a star.

He must have felt 10ft tall.

We've probably all had that fantasy where we leave the pitch to a standing ovation, the crowd singing our name while being announced as Man of the Match, for Mason that came true yesterday.

He should be flying from now on.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Mason is playing well but I think his best position would be as the main striker. Give him 5 games in the Nugent role and he'd never be dropped and we'd wonder why we signed Waghorn.

I hope I’m wrong but I’m not convinced he’s clinical enough to be our main striker. Good chance to see on Tuesday, although I expect Waghorn to start there and  provide more evidence as to why your last point will be proven correct 

He looks lots better but he isn’t 1 of our best 2 wingers.

There was a passage in the 1st half where Mason had their full back isolated massively, no one for another 10yds or so he went at him well, but not quite the balls/confidence to just blow him away with pace and power.

Had he been down the middle in the same situation with a big juicy one on one as a reward for that extra bit of commitment he’d have taken his man no doubt.

Pretty sure he is having to temper his natural instincts for the good of the shape/plan when on the wings.

I also think he would be better down the middle. He can use his power more effectively, I’m also sure once he gets the confidence of scoring a couple he would be clinical. Not sure his feet are quick enough compared to his competition out wide (Jozefzoon, Wilson)

First half yesterday, he did ok, their full back to be fair played well against him. Second half his movement was better, started coming inside more and he murdered them. I think he benefitted from our injuries as I think Lamps may have brought Flo Jo on earlier (who also played really well again when he came on).

It’s not a surprise he’s doing well. Remember with the first McClaren side he was on the verge of the first team then and was a regular in the match day squad. Injuries at key moments and a bad transfer policy has held him back. 

Absolutely chuffed to bits for him. When he went off yesterday and the fans were signing he’s one of our own, have to admit it brought a tear to my eye. Hope it works out for him, although as normal for Mason he puts in a great performance and gets injured, radio derby saying he could be out for a couple of weeks. Hope he’s not out for too long. Chance for Flo Jo now.

7 hours ago, eddie said:

It seems that you are one of the few people who wasn't impressed. Now either you were wearing blinkers or an awful lot of other people were.

He played ok, didn’t think he was MOM by a long shot. 

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

Except I'm not in that brigade at all. Player criticism is fine, as long as it's justified. How can you justify criticising Mason?

Not criticising, he played ok yesterday not MOM imo. I just don’t think he’s good enough at this level, and I’ll guess we’ll never know as he doesn’t stay fit for a long enough spell to prove either of us right or wrong. 

9 hours ago, Charlie Dram said:

Think you might be right!!!!!

Well spotted. Reading that back, it is an obvious statement. What I meant is that he'd played well in the pre-season games and seemed to have established himself in Rowetts thinking. He then got injured and never got another look in. 

His play reminds me a lot of Waghorn. He is quick and direct with great work ethic, but only has one or two tricks to get past a defender.

At the moment his does not have the calmness of finish - but if he develops that - how much is a quicker version of Waghorn worth?

Sturridge Mark II?

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Was absolutely delighted for Bennett today, it almost looked like he came of age. I’ve been critical of his devolpment in the past and must admit I didn’t think he was going to ever make it here, but he’s gained a control and awareness he hasn’t had before. He was my MOM today and it’s fantastic to see an academy graduate have that sort of an impact. Personally I still think he’ll be better long term as a striker rather than a winger as he’s not as good at taking a man on as other wingers we have, but he thoroughly deserves his place after that performance.

He has all the physical attributes to be a good player. 

If he continues to listen and learn I have no doubt he will establish himself in the team.

It's great to have him back.

His inclusion should give hope to the likes of Elsnik and Thomas.

22 minutes ago, iolanthe said:

Thought he was a good 7 /10 yesterday good work rate and good strength.Believe he works well with Bogle probably an understanding from the U23s.

You're right, he said that himself in his MOTM interview. 

He was very modest and said that anyone of the team could have been MOTM, that they were playing for each other as a team and all trying to give 110%. 

That he felt comfortable playing in front of Bogle as they have a good understanding from playing together for under 23s. 

Edworthy asked him what he was going to do in future and he said about working hard and trying for 120%. 

Lots of references to hard work in his short speech and that is definitely the ethic that is coming through from Lampard.

You can see that when Mason loses out on the ball and the defender turns away thinking 'job done' - how many times does Mason either nip in and win it back or at least put a block in to force it out of play rather than let a break develop? Quite a lot and that's a big asset to a team.

The other thing I noticed yesterday was his reasoning behind going for the second ball - if he could see that the opposition was winning the challenge he was reading play and putting himself in the right place to pick up the loose ball.

I mention these two things as they are both aspects of play that we have criticised our wingers for lacking in the past.

Good football isn't just about the pretty stuff!

16 minutes ago, angieram said:

that they were playing for each other as a team and all trying to give 110%. 

16 minutes ago, angieram said:

Edworthy asked him what he was going to do in future and he said about working hard and trying for 120%. 

Maths never was Mason's strong suit.

13 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Maths never was Mason's strong suit.

I know! It's one of my pet hate phrases as of course it's impossible, but the way he used it made it more acceptable.  I don't think that was deliberate but I do think that is the philosophy that Lampard is embedding. 

Just keep doing better - always look for continuous improvement. There is evidence out there on the pitch that players are taking that on board.

Archived