It might take time

Carl Sagan

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Three games in and so many on here are saying we can't play like this or like that. Nonsense.

Over the last few years we've been expansive, defensive, tippy tappy, direct, slow. The players probably don't know if they're coming or going. They have to re-learn the right habits.

Last year we had Rowett Ball, happy out of possesion, and it was dire and terrible. It got us into the playoffs before abject surrender against a good footballing side.

Lampard wants us to play fast-paced possession with lots of energy and movement. That's how I want us to play too. I am happy to wait and learn this way of playing rather than ditch it because in a handful of games it's not quite clicked.

If it's not worked after 46 league games then I'm happy to keep working on it over the summer and go again with it next season.

Keep the faith.

I'm so glad this post is flooded with positive reactions because I one million percent agree with every word. And if every derby fan agreed and we could convey to the management and players how much we all agreed then i really think we'd be on to something really really special.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some strange individual play / errors. Bizarre free kick goal. Carson playing tomori and bryson into trouble.  Freak deflecton with tomori waving a leg at it.

individual errors all over the place judging by the highlights. 

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Three games in and so many on here are saying we can't play like this or like that. Nonsense.

Over the last few years we've been expansive, defensive, tippy tappy, direct, slow. The players probably don't know if they're coming or going. They have to re-learn the right habits.

Last year we had Rowett Ball, happy out of possesion, and it was dire and terrible. It got us into the playoffs before abject surrender against a good footballing side.

Lampard wants us to play fast-paced possession with lots of energy and movement. That's how I want us to play too. I am happy to wait and learn this way of playing rather than ditch it because in a handful of games it's not quite clicked.

If it's not worked after 46 league games then I'm happy to keep working on it over the summer and go again with it next season.

Keep the faith.

Playing out from the back just isn't feasible for most championship teams, and definitely not ours. Shouldn't take too much time to work that one out. 

4 minutes ago, europia said:

Playing out from the back just isn't feasible for most championship teams, and definitely not ours. Shouldn't take too much time to work that one out. 

I'm not so sure. Leeds do it, Wolves did it. Granted, maybe we don't have the players, but if Bielsa can get a no mark clogger like Luke Ayling to look like Cafu then it should theoretically be possible for anyone to do it.

Anyone who thought we were going to get overnight results with Frank was a bit deluded, myself included after a few preseason games. He'll make mistakes. Our young players will make mistakes. We have to give him time to build, he has the right ideas on the type of football we should be playing. 9 new players need to bed in. 

I think we just need to accept that this is the price of change. In some cases, you have a change of manager and there's an immediate upturn.  In other cases, you have to be more patient. I think we have to accept we are in the latter situation.

We might throw envious glances in Leeds' direction but the reason why Bielsa has got Leeds playing so well is because they are well-drilled and well-organised. They've spent a lot of time on the training ground learning their roles and understanding their manager's demands. Whatever they've been doing - be it triple training sessions or group pottery classes - you could see that this was a team and a team playing for their manager and playing for each other. Every player looked calm, assured and well-prepared, and in many ways, one step ahead, from the very first minute.

We have looked so far away from that. Is it down to Frank's inexperience, naivety, arrogance? Perhaps a combination of the three.

So it was of little surprise to see that yet again today we were beaten by a hungrier, sharper, more organised, more tactically astute team, and it was no surprise to see that our defence was shaky and we lost our midfield battles.

The balance in midfield should have been addressed from the very first game. The signs were there that Bryson, Mount, and Ledley/Johnson in a midfield three does not get the most out of each player. Bryson and Mount should be competing for one position. Playing both of them is asking for trouble in a physical league like the Championship, especially if you are playing them in front of players like Ledley or Johnson who can't control a game.

The defence is a mess and Curtis Davies can't return soon enough. Keogh has had such a disappointing start to the season. As one of the club's most senior players, he should be stepping up, leading by example and steadying the ship in Davies' absence. But you can see that this is too much for him. Taking on the extra responsibility sees his game suffer. The likes of Tomori and Bogle might be good prospects, but I don't think we are going to see the best of them until the defence is settled. They have been thrown in at the deep end and particularly in Tomori's case, it hasn't paid off. Frank simply needs to pick a familiar back four and stick with it. It will help everyone.

In the wide positions, we will continue to see ineffectual performances, especially if we persist with Lawrence, Wilson, or both. They are not hardworking enough and not unselfish enough to benefit this team. If Bennett or Jozefzoon are the answer, they need a run of games to establish themselves.

The next few months will be a real test of Mel's nerve - to see if he has learned from the past and to see if he has the patience to stick with Frank. Unfortunately, I can see us going on a similar run to that which we went on under Pearson, so I hope Mel is strapped in for what will be a bumpy ride.

It feels like we are going through the same kind of adjustment as we did back then. The shift in style of play and tactical demands is certainly as significant, the suitability of the players for such changes is similarly questionable, and the performances are just as colourless, uninspiring and disjointed.

Where the likes of Nuno and Bielsa have thrived in recent years in getting the players on side and drumming into them a clear idea of what they want, Frank looks to have a group of players who seem muddled and play like strangers. The international break could be critical. They will need to put in the hard yards to correct matters and show that they have bought into Frank's vision.

Look this is going to take time for this team to settle down and get to know each other. Anyone thinking only going to take 3 games in the league need to get really. This might take a good 2 years before frank final get his team how he wants it.

I just wish some derby fans would get of frank lampard back and let him do his job.

Of course it will take time to implement the ball to feet, and playing from the back. Unfortunately, if we are targeting promotion, we don't have that time. You can't afford to lose many games in this league, a lot of good sides this season. I think a top 10 finish would be more of a realistic target for us. Our squad is still unbalanced, too big, and new to challenge imo. Leeds have a quality manager, with a squad thats been together for a while. 

4 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Look this is going to take time for this team to settle down and get to know each other. Anyone thinking only going to take 3 games in the league need to get really. This might take a good 2 years before frank final get his team how he wants it.

I just wish some derby fans would get of frank lampard back and let him do his job.

I'm afraid your never realistically going to get that with a club of Derbys size and I assume Frank Lampard know's this, it's why he's here and not at Burton. It's expected that as a minimum we will finish in the playoffs- it's in the psyche .  Likewise he would expect for his CV a team and club that matches his expectation to manage at the top level as quickly as possible.  With that comes a certain amount of pressure and too be honest compared to the grief Pearson got after 4 or 5 games I don't think it's been too bad .  Have a look at the Forest and Stoke forums they've got Radiohead on loop.

Remember when Jimbo Smith took control, it took a little bit of time, fans saying after Tranmere away he should go, then the rest is history, I believe that Frank given time by us all, hope you are listening Mr Morris, you like the rest of us are desperate for success, but it might take one step back, to take two forwards, we need time and patience with Frank, and in the end he will deliver, it's a tough division, and will take sweat and tears to get out off, but I for one will be backing OUR club, and Frank starting with Ipswich on Tuesday night, I actually believe that we will get 6 points from our next two home games, to get our season underway, also think once we get Davis and Hudds back, we will be a much better team.

Archived