It might take time

Carl Sagan

Three games in and so many on here are saying we can't play like this or like that. Nonsense.

Over the last few years we've been expansive, defensive, tippy tappy, direct, slow. The players probably don't know if they're coming or going. They have to re-learn the right habits.

Last year we had Rowett Ball, happy out of possesion, and it was dire and terrible. It got us into the playoffs before abject surrender against a good footballing side.

Lampard wants us to play fast-paced possession with lots of energy and movement. That's how I want us to play too. I am happy to wait and learn this way of playing rather than ditch it because in a handful of games it's not quite clicked.

If it's not worked after 46 league games then I'm happy to keep working on it over the summer and go again with it next season.

Keep the faith.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m willing to give him time and I’m sure others on here will. Lampard wants us to play like Leeds did, we will all be creaming ourselves if we get to that level consistently.

The problem is will other Derby fans when they see our players passing the ball to each other at the back and scream “play it long ffs”. Will our owner give him time? I hope so but given his track record I’m not too confident if the results don’t improve.

Of course it will take time but some fans got too excited too quickly. 

We could go for some quick results. Take no chances, play the percentages. Probably have more points today. But trying to create more control of games is about forming partnerships and creating a team that moves as a unit isn't an overnight fix. Finding players that compliment each other and enhance their teammates game will take a bit of time. It may never happen for Frank. But we don't know yet because we are 3 games in. 

In the friendlies we saw how promising things look when teams respect you enough not to press you. When teams will try themselves to play through the field or when they are used to doing it.

In the Championship we have to earn that respect. We have to show teams what happens when you press us. Show them we can open them up and they'll start easing off like they did when we had McClaren. We'll face 10 men behind the ball teams looking to counter.

Most teams at this level can't cope with a great deal of pressing. I think it's a division where the work rate and physicality outweighs that football ability in most cases. So teams won't be trying to play through the field in general. They'll drop it over your midfield and look to play from there. Some will keep dropping it on your CB's. Some will target the flanks. Not many teams will build from the back. 

This is where we have to show more respect for graft, strength and aerial ability. While we can't compete there we will struggle to really get to grips with playing from the back. We invite pressure on ourselves by being physically useless. 

Once we can compete man to man then I think we'll start to grow as a footballing team.

Derby this season have shown that when they're good they look like a fast paced passing side. When they're bad they look like a rattled bunch of panic passers. We are getting bullied

22 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Three games in and so many on here are saying we can't play like this or like that. Nonsense.

Over the last few years we've been expansive, defensive, tippy tappy, direct, slow. The players probably don't know if they're coming or going. They have to re-learn the right habits.

Last year we had Rowett Ball, happy out of possesion, and it was dire and terrible. It got us into the playoffs before abject surrender against a good footballing side.

Lampard wants us to play fast-paced possession with lots of energy and movement. That's how I want us to play too. I am happy to wait and learn this way of playing rather than ditch it because in a handful of games it's not quite clicked.

If it's not worked after 46 league games then I'm happy to keep working on it over the summer and go again with it next season.

Keep the faith.

Keep the faith, this post is excellent. 

If you doubt it, just watch our second leg play off against Fulham last season, a far far worse performance than any this season.  

Archived