It might take time

Carl Sagan

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lampard doesn't have time. Mel has indicated that we're up against FFP. Any flirtation with the relegation places and he'll be gone. Any drop in attendances and Mel will panic that our finances are suffering. Lampard has joined the wrong club if he wants time to build. Our FFP situation removes any leeway that he might have had. 

2 things worrying me

Until we get the old players out of the dressing room the young players can't take ownership, make it their own, properly gel as a group and take responsibility for the results they produce.  Unfortunately we seem lumbered unless this week brings a miracle.

I hope Lamps doesn't yet again prove that top class players do not generally make good managers. This is because they are used to playing with the best and expect things from lesser players that they just cannot produce. Hopefully Jody Morris' involvement in selecting and developing the young players will prove my fears unfounded. 

It could all pan out right given time..........................

49 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Lampard doesn't have time. Mel has indicated that we're up against FFP. Any flirtation with the relegation places and he'll be gone. Any drop in attendances and Mel will panic that our finances are suffering. Lampard has joined the wrong club if he wants time to build. Our FFP situation removes any leeway that he might have had. 

Nope, don't see that at all. You think Mel is so stupid that when appointing Lampard he didn't think it might take time?

Just now, McLovin said:

He didn’t give McClaren on the second occasion time to rebuild did he? 

Don't ever think Mac was his choice. Plus even Mel can learn from past mistakes. I reckon Snake would still be here if he hadn't slithered off, so we must trust to luck too! ?

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

People have said that for about 3 years in a row. What a surprise, we're not breaching FFP. Without knowing the exact figures, I'd guess that we at least broke even this transfer window, potentially even made a profit. No idea why people keep claiming we're going to break FFP. Lampard should and most probably will get the time he needs. Why would Mel hire a rookie manager otherwise? You don't hire a manager like Lampard to be experienced instantly. If that's what we wanted, we may as well have hired Mick McCarthy.

In terms of FFP, it doesn't make much difference if you sell before the season starts or in January, apart from wages. So, I think we'll give it a go and reassess in January and if need be maybe have to sell any saleable assets then. 

I think this will be the path that villa will take with Grealish. 

56 minutes ago, Andicis said:

People have said that for about 3 years in a row. What a surprise, we're not breaching FFP. Without knowing the exact figures, I'd guess that we at least broke even this transfer window, potentially even made a profit. No idea why people keep claiming we're going to break FFP. Lampard should and most probably will get the time he needs. Why would Mel hire a rookie manager otherwise? You don't hire a manager like Lampard to be experienced instantly. If that's what we wanted, we may as well have hired Mick McCarthy.

I've never thought or claimed that we were going to break FFP. However, if you listened to Mel's interview last week it's hard not to read into it that we are very close to the limit for this season. I'd say that as things stand we're probably a bit over. That's not a problem if we do OK in the league as we can loan out players, sell players in January or go on a good cup run to make up the difference.

The problem is that, if our form is poor we get fewer games selected for tv, sell fewer tickets, replica shirts and Baseball burgers etc. That 'no problem' £1m shortfall, suddenly becomes a considerable £3m problem which grows when Mel can't sell season tickets for next season and the commercial side starts to struggle.

I don't believe that Mel will allow a situation like that to develop.

I don't think Mel is demanding promotion this season, but he won't tolerate damaging failure. Whilst we're top half I think that Lampard's job is safe. Lampard is here to rebuild the team so Mel will be reasonably patient. However, Lampard isn't managing in a vacuum. The financial realities are that Derby County has a huge cost base and needs to be near the top of the division. As soon as we drop into the bottom half Mel will be looking closely. Any trajectory that throws up a realistic possibility of relegation and the axe will fall. Any major decline in attendances and Lampard is one defeat away from the sack.

I think you're all getting a bit carried away after three games.

Last year we took 3  points from the same three games. So we 're no worse off.

38 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I think you're all getting a bit carried away after three games.

Last year we took 3  points from the same three games. So we 're no worse off.

Good point.

Tuesday is a free hit then when using last season as a guide... and relax...

Yes it will take time, but the issue is that football chairmen are not known for their patience. How long will Mel give Frank if things don't improve over the next 5-7 games? A lot of sensible things have been posted in the last 24 hours about the need to stick with the new approach, but its very possible that at some point boardroom opinion will sway towards getting in a more experienced manager, which in my view will only put us back to square one. We've got no nearer to being serious contenders for the Premier League in the last decade despite umpteen changes of manager, its not the answer.

2 minutes ago, Ramshackled said:

Yes it will take time, but the issue is that football chairmen are not known for their patience. How long will Mel give Frank if things don't improve over the next 5-7 games? A lot of sensible things have been posted in the last 24 hours about the need to stick with the new approach, but its very possible that at some point boardroom opinion will sway towards getting in a more experienced manager, which in my view will only put us back to square one. We've got no nearer to being serious contenders for the Premier League in the last decade despite umpteen changes of manager, its not the answer.

Totally agree Ramshackled, how many different 'styles' have the players been asked to play by the numerous managers/coaches we've had over the past few years.  Just stick with Frank and Jody, stop the constant changing of manager and give them the time they need.

Two home games now against beatable opposition. 4 points from those two and it will have been a solid start.

I expect us to be bottom half at Christmas and possibly make playoffs with a late run, but if we finish 10th or 12th with signs of better football, reduced age of squad leaned out to enable quality additions in the right areas next summer -  i’ll take that.

For me, only reason to possibly get rid of Lampard is if with 10 games to go we’re staring relegation in the face and we need an experienced pair of hands to save us. Otherwise he gets next season for me as well. We need to give him time more than I think we’ve given any other manager to learn and grow if this going to work.

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Two home games now against beatable opposition. 4 points from those two and it will have been a solid start.

I expect us to be bottom half at Christmas and possibly make playoffs with a late run, but if we finish 10th or 12th with signs of better football, reduced age of squad leaned out to enable quality additions in the right areas next summer -  i’ll take that.

For me, only reason to possibly get rid of Lampard is if with 10 games to go we’re staring relegation in the face and we need an experienced pair of hands to save us. Otherwise he gets next season for me as well. We need to give him time more than I think we’ve given any other manager to learn and grow if this going to work.

Yes, absolutely right, lets hope the Board are thinking the same way and can keep their itchy trigger fingers wrapped around something chilled

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I agree, the two upcoming home games are definitely winnable, but where I disagree with you BR84 is the bit about if we're staring relegation in the face.  Even if we go down, I would still stick with FL.  If we bring someone in to 'save us from relegation', if that person did save us, they probably wouldn't stay after that achievement and so we'd be hiring yet another manager who would play in another different way.  It's perpetual.  Stick with Frank and Jody and get some stability into proceedings! 

29 minutes ago, TomG said:

Even if we go down, I would still stick with FL.  If we bring someone in to 'save us from relegation', if that person did save us, they probably wouldn't stay after that achievement and so we'd be hiring yet another manager who would play in another different way.  It's perpetual.  Stick with Frank and Jody and get some stability into proceedings! 

Would be tough but you'd have to agree, as long as there were signs of good football (which there currently are) and FL & JM learning the job. Next season there will be a big churn of players so a real fresh start, hope it's in the Prem though! ?

Archived