It might take time

Carl Sagan

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Newleaf said:

We are no going up with this team IMO sorry. 

Probably not I agree. 

But we're transitioning from an older squad who played defensive minded football, to a younger one that looks to play out from the back.

In the meantime we're trying to leverage the abilities of the existing squad into an alien style of football, while not handing them new contracts beyond this season, and managing injuries in key positions.

The fact we're doing this with a manager and assistant who have a grand total before today of 2 league games experience each, that we've shown in patches what the future might look like and I don't think it's time to be down.

We're on the cusp of a glorious new era, patience will bring it's own reward.

Probably.

2 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

I agree with the above but I’m not bothered about going up. Next season or the season after is fine.  As long as frank gets time and MM doesn’t make a knee jerk reaction. 

Frank this Frank that lets be Frank we were hopeless 1st half today 

Yes it is going to take time lots of positives to take out of every match so far. Knowing our strengths and weaknesses, Frank isn’t going to know his preferred starting 11 for a while. Not every player we have brought is going to be A class, look at Tomori, good against Leeds, quality Tuesday night not so great today. 

Just now, Wrightdcfc said:

Yes it is going to take time lots of positives to take out of every match so far. Knowing our strengths and weaknesses, Frank isn’t going to know his preferred starting 11 for a while. Not every player we have brought is going to be A class, look at Tomori, good against Leeds, quality Tuesday night not so great today. 

But giving that Frank saying I want to play football from the back is great and I like to see this. However coming out and blatantly saying it gives teams the head start before we have even played. Little inexperience there from our Frank but played correctly and sensibly it is very effective. 

12 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Probably not I agree. 

But we're transitioning from an older squad who played defensive minded football, to a younger one that looks to play out from the back.

In the meantime we're trying to leverage the abilities of the existing squad into an alien style of football, while not handing them new contracts beyond this season, and managing injuries in key positions.

The fact we're doing this with a manager and assistant who have a grand total before today of 2 league games experience each, that we've shown in patches what the future might look like and I don't think it's time to be down.

We're on the cusp of a glorious new era, patience will bring it's own reward.

Probably.

Hope you are right.  I have my doubts. 

Just now, Newleaf said:

Hope you are right.  I have my doubts. 

For what it’s worth mate I have similar doubts. Not doubts over Lampard personally but doubts as to whether many of these players can play the way that he wants too so it may be a long term fix rather than a short term fix. The good news for Lampard is that many players are out of contract next summer which would give Lampard more freedom to shape the squad how he wants too. 

The downside? We won’t have Mount or Harry Wilson next season.

3 minutes ago, Newleaf said:

I’m not really whining I’m just fed up. 

I don’t know why you’re fed up, seems to me you’re loving this, can’t wait to give it the old told you we should have been happy with Rowett. 

Just come out with it and say you want Lampard to fail, miserably. 

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

The downside? We won’t have Mount or Harry Wilson next season.

Atm neither has contributed a good 90 minutes, so until we see what we'll be missing I'm not that concerned. Both look decent prospects, but both are young and coming to terms with the Championship. 

8 minutes ago, Newleaf said:

I’m not really whining I’m just fed up. 

It was a cheap shot on my behalf.

It's not great at the moment, but I can see the green shoots of how it could be in the future.

If I compare it to Pearson's first few games, I can see a plan, how it may hopefully work in the future, exactly how it's not working now, and how Frank can rectify it.

I couldn't see any of those positives at all under Pearson at the same stage, and was clinging on to his tough guy persona and experience to turn the ship around, which never happened.

If we're still chucking in the same performances and results at new year, that would be a concern but until then I'm pretty relaxed about the situation, and If that means top 6 and possible promotion is gone then so be it.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Three games in and so many on here are saying we can't play like this or like that. Nonsense.

Over the last few years we've been expansive, defensive, tippy tappy, direct, slow. The players probably don't know if they're coming or going. They have to re-learn the right habits.

Last year we had Rowett Ball, happy out of possesion, and it was dire and terrible. It got us into the playoffs before abject surrender against a good footballing side.

Lampard wants us to play fast-paced possession with lots of energy and movement. That's how I want us to play too. I am happy to wait and learn this way of playing rather than ditch it because in a handful of games it's not quite clicked.

If it's not worked after 46 league games then I'm happy to keep working on it over the summer and go again with it next season.

Keep the faith.

Absolutely.

We'll look back at ourselves in five years time when we are in the Champions League and wonder what we were fretting about.

9 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I don’t know why you’re fed up, seems to me you’re loving this, can’t wait to give it the old told you we should have been happy with Rowett. 

Just come out with it and say you want Lampard to fail, miserably. 

I really don’t i was willing Derby to get an equalizer and i want Lampard to succeed. 

It annoys me that because his name is Lampard we cannot give any criticism in some fans eyes. 

Oh well on to Ipswich and Preston 

Archived