v Notts County (A) Match Thread

Day

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

You think recruitment teams that are unsure on a player would have their opinions swung by performances in pre-season friendlies?

Besides, Butterfield is having a good game. *Seeming* like a possession based style of play suits him. Imagine that.

EDIT: Butterfield shot from 25 yards saved well. 

I hope so ! 

Especially if we are not going to use them

Everyone loves a good player ratings

First Half 11

Roos 6 - not much to do

Bogle 9 - very attacking. Didn't have much to do defensively but going forward was a threat

Keogh 8 - I love watching him in a team who find space to receive the ball, he's still one of the best ball-playing defenders you'll see at this level

Pearce 7 - looked confident and dealt with any ariel challenges well

Forsyth 8 - he's a much better player when the manager gives him a bit of freedom to attack rather than his primary focus be to defend. Put in a few decent crosses and was a threat down the left all half

Ledley 7 - not much to do, kept it simple

Bryson 9 - welcome back. Will still run forever and his attacking runs and link up play reminded me of that 13/14 season

Johnson 7 - some poor passing but did his job well

Thomas 9 - West Ham must be pleased. Looked very confident, ran at defenders every time he got the ball and seemed to make the right decision on whether to pass or shoot every time

Lawrence 8 - very good performance. A few good efforts including hitting the bar and his runs inside caused their defence and midfield all sorts of problems

Nugent 7 - some nice link up play but seemed to lack composure/confidence a couple of times when he had a goal-scoring chance

Second Half 11

Mitchell 6 - not much to do and can't really blame him for the penalty

Wisdom 7 - not as attacking as Bogle but retained the ball well

Hanson 7 - did well at centre back and kept the ball well

Davies 5 - gave away the penalty and looked a bit sloppy, but I'll let him off

Lowe 8 - looks brilliant at left back when he's given a bit of freedom to attack. Linked up well with Bennett

Huddlestone 7 - third time lucky in terms of his shots. Didn't see any of his 50 yard lobbed passes

Elsnik 7 - did well

Butterfield 8 - it's so obvious how much better he is when he's in a team set up to keep the ball. Glad the boos eventually turned to applause. It's ridiculous that we're all, 'fresh start under Frank' and within 2 minutes Butterfield is getting that sort of treatment

Blackman 4 - really wanted him to score but he was quite poor today. Could have had a hat trick but whenever the ball came his way near goal he slipped over, tripped over the ball or scuffed it

Bennett 7 - took on their right back for fun but I would have liked him to mix up his crosses a bit. Every chance he got to cross he'd float it which made it easier for the defenders to deal with

Jerome 6 - missed a great chance near the end but did well overall 

Have to admit that I left a bit early before the sunstroke finished me off, however:

An obviously different style. Most players seem to prefer it, especially the midfielders because they get to touch the ball. I prefer it too, for so many reasons.

Thomas and Bogle - absolute top drawer, both of them.

Lowe - not far behind Bogle. I doubt we’d want to field a first team with them both in just yet, but really encouraging to see.

Elsnick - trying a bit too hard? His time will come, but I suspect that the surfeit of midfield options and the way that the other Academy lads played first half both put him under pressure to perform. Hope he comes good.

Butterfield - this style of football may suit him better. Maybe he had actually been banned from passing forward previously, because he did it a few times today and it seemed to work ok.

Bryson - is there a better midfielder of his type in the Championship? I doubt it. Let’s build the promotion team around him. Seriously. Loved to see him a) back in a Derby shirt, and b) being 13/14 Bryso again.

That said, opposition was very poor. But we have lost to much worse in pre-season before now. Cannot wait for it to start now...

Didn't see the game but it seems like a good start. 

Lots of poisitives. Bryson and thomas etc.

just spoilt by the behaviour of the away fans.......as usual.

Sith Happens

I know its been said but cant believe I am reading about some of our fans booing and dishing out abuse to blackman.

Although I do hope those fans that did dont struggle to much with damaged knuckles from the constant dragging of them on the ground.

2 minutes ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Sorry if this has already been said, but can’t be assed to go back through the thread. Did we play 4-3-3?

any news on Martin, Vyds, Thorne?

Thankingtons.

??

Martin and Vyds recovering from injury. 

Horrible to see that some of our fans were abusive to our own players. It’s beyond a joke. Fresh start for all, right? 

Butterfield sounds like he was one of our best players today too? So, I don’t get the issue. People need to stop being such *****.

2 minutes ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Did we play 4-3-3?

Yes, we also passed the ball with purpose, had full backs getting forward and quickly pressed the opposition high up the pitch when possession was lost.

It was like a breath of fresh air.

Archived