If it’s Frank

archied
Message added by Day

If it is Frank  

620 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Derbados said:

still find this whole appointment utterly bizarre, buckle up it’s going to be a bumpy ride!

I can see why you think its a risk...

But 'utterly bizarre'?  He has openly said he wants to go into management, has gone for his coaching badges, his Dad and Uncle are coaches, he has recently retired and we don't have a manager and don't want to spend money paying to take someone off another team. 

Add in his pedigree, his work rate, his intelligence, his connections....makes sense to me.

Its still a big risk of course...but I feel reinvigorated. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ramblur said:

I've made that mistake more than once in the recent past. What I'd forgotten was that, as a starting point CM, Butters, NB & CB all come back onto the payroll, so we've probably got work to do even to get back to level par.

My bad. I forgot about savings on Sam, and a half year of KP, so we probably start ahead of the game, but not by that much.

17 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I can see why you think its a risk...

But 'utterly bizarre'?  He has openly said he wants to go into management, has gone for his coaching badges, his Dad and Uncle are coaches, he has recently retired and we don't have a manager and don't want to spend money paying to take someone off another team. 

Add in his pedigree, his work rate, his intelligence, his connections....makes sense to me.

Its still a big risk of course...but I feel reinvigorated. 

What happened to Managers cutting their teeth in the lower leagues and working themselves up? Why does Lampard get to manage in the championship straight away? He hasn’t managed a single game in his life, ever, yet he’s about to take over as our manager in the championship.

Would you hire someone in any other line of work to run and manage your operations and look after millions of pounds worth of budgets who had 0 experience in Management? Regardless of if that employee was great at what they did? If you did you would expect fair criticism, why is this different?  

7 minutes ago, Derbados said:

What happened to Managers cutting their teeth in the lower leagues and working themselves up? Why does Lampard get to manage in the championship straight away? He hasn’t managed a single game in his life, ever, yet he’s about to take over as our manager in the championship.

Well Nigel started low, worked his way up but never shook off the non-league tag.  I've also quite often heard 'he's never managed at a high level' thrown around despite the manager in question doing reasonably well lower down the ladder.

This is also a big problem ?

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/03/astonishing-stats-alan-pardew-sam-allardyce-2-6-managers-now-pick-24-jobs-10-clubs-newcastle-united-premier-league-mark-hughes/

Also, its not just football;

https://www.mlb.com/news/trend-of-hiring-managers-with-no-major-league-experience-continues-this-offseason/c-64009176

Also just found this ☹️

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2017/jun/26/football-managers-once-they-fall-off-the-merry-go-round

9 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Would you hire someone in any other line of work to run and manage your operations and look after millions of pounds worth of budgets who had 0 experience in Management? Regardless of if that employee was great at what they did? If you did you would expect fair criticism, why is this different?  

In todays world of all things premier league & champions league the championship is considered a lower league and like it or not we are a lower league club in their eyes.

Id imagine its going to take a while to fix a press conference of this level for Derbys competence. The worlds sporting media will descend on our doorstep. Its not going to be just DET and Radio Derby polling up ( as if we got Mick McCarthy). We will become " Frank Lampards Derby County" and a bit of a media circus.

If its Frank im my usual glass half full and dream that he will be as good as Zidane and take us on a football festival ride with Rowett getting Stoke relegated into the bargain and Fat Kenny sitting over there in gump land chewing on a wasp.

Its all quite exciting. Bet we get more than 1 shot on target over 90 mins of football regularly. Bet we try to play on the front foot. Bet we play sexy. Bet we look assured on the ball.... 

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I can feel a George Thorne saga kicking off again.

If we end up with Dass Wass I will hire that farmer bloke to deliver 10 ton of horse poo to moor farm.

It's great for the roses.

3 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Possible that could be something with his BBC contract to cover the World Cup? With just over 2 months until the start of the season and transfer window closing, a month over in Russia wouldn’t be ideal. 

Just now, David said:

Possible that could be something with his BBC contract to cover the World Cup? With just over 2 months until the start of the season and transfer window closing, a month over in Russia wouldn’t be ideal. 

My thinking is his punditry obligations. Can’t see him being daft enough to go to Russia and return two weeks before season starts. 

Archived