Derby County have already interviewed candidates about the vacant manager's position

Rample

6 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

I’d be interested to find out who Lampard’s backroom staff might be...imagine if he brought John Terry in as his number 2  icon_yikes.sml.gif

Thought I was ITK there..... seems you’ve got this sussed six hours before me Pearl. Well done Sir ?‍?

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I think understanding the game is irrelevant.

Do you not think Roy Keane understood the game? Or Paul Ince or Maradona.

I used to see this in sales where great sales people would be promoted to managers and then suck.

The skill set for managing isn't the same as playing. Some have both, most don't.

Correct Sir. Management takes intelligence and thought and craft. And persuasion. It helps if you've played the game and have contacts but you don't need to have scored a worldy in the Premiership and if you have, it don't mean you can manage a team. 

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Correct Sir. Management takes intelligence and thought and craft. And persuasion. It helps if you've played the game and have contacts but you don't need to have scored a worldy in the Premiership and if you have, it don't mean you can manage a team. 

Yeah but Stimac 5-1 Tranmere so good manager.

Dean Smith and warbo would still be my favourites...but the lampard thing is starting to draw me in against my better judgement.

In any case,it's going to be fantastic, with anyone of them in place, to go to pride park for the first game of the season clutching my new season ticket with some genuine excitement for the incoming season....

It may not last long but sod it,it already feels good.

Isn't there anyone out there with an exciting first name we can get? Our list is Paul, Nigel, Steve, Paul, Nigel, Steve, Gary. Give us a Rafael or Kim-Jong for a bit of flair.

I would love Lampard here, just to stay on point. Every young manager has to start somewhere. Gerrard's at Rangers, Neville went to Valencia, Nolan's at Notts - Clarence Seedorf went for the Oldham job last year. And Barnet had Edgar Davids. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. But the main thing would be to not rush it if he was to be manager. Let him learn in the role, give him at least a year until he can get rid of the deadwood and build a proper squad.

I wouldn't be worried about his lack of experience at all. Playing wise he was a very clever footballer and I think he was proven to be one of the brightest footballers in the world (if there's any competition). Not sure what his football would be like but it would take a lot to be any worse than what Rowett threw up. 

It's already been said but he will have contacts that we could only dream of working with. Close connections with Mourinho at United, he'll have connections with Man City, everyone will be looking to help him at Chelsea. And if you're a promising young player, you'd surely be determined to work under one of the best English footballers we've probably ever had. 

I'd just be a tad concerned that he'd demotivate our entire side in training by being far and away the most talented there. 

Let's face it though, it will probably be McCarthy and all this speculation will be for nothing. 

10 minutes ago, Shipley Ram said:

It's funny but it's growing on me too.  Inexperienced and untried, yes why not.

Knows what a good midfield balance is all about i should think and has connections too, foreign even.  So yeah, why not.

6 hours ago, jono said:

An overly large squad, many on high wages, long contracts and past their physical best. Competing against parachute teams with 50 million more to spend that we (or any other similar club ) haven’t got. .. that’s the problem

The wage bill is more than the turnover .. that’s a mess ... got it ? 

Dial in that the league rules on spending and that Mel doesn’t have an oil well. 

The only way out of the mess is quick promotion via spending (cant do ) or a slower route accepting that you need to develop from the bottom. ... difficult to execute given the financial restrictions and demand for a quick fix by an owner who’s gambles haven’t paid off so far. 

The rules won’t let us be reckless

The owner has been generous but possibly unwise so far, and is desperate for a quick fix without further investment in a loss making enterprise that he is underwriting. So no room there either.

An overly large squad, many on high wages, long contracts and past their physical best. Competing against parachute teams with 50 million more to spend that we (or any other similar club ) haven’t got. .. that’s the problem

That isn't a problem, that is just a challenge. Huddersfield, Burnley. Cardiff and others have  overcome the challenge. It is also a challenge for teams coming down with loss of players etc.

The wage bill is more than the turnover .. that’s a mess ... got it ? 

Well my boldy writing friend it certainly isn't ideal and I suspect the reason is no longer with the club, but it is hardly a mess as it can be undone over the next year or so.

Dial in that the league rules on spending and that Mel doesn’t have an oil well. 

That is true, he doesn't have an oil well but that isn't a mess.

The only way out of the mess is quick promotion via spending (cant do ) or a slower route accepting that you need to develop from the bottom. ... difficult to execute given the financial restrictions and demand for a quick fix by an owner who’s gambles haven’t paid off so far. 

Spending is no guarantee of anything. Derby have some reasonably talented players who are certainly good enough to be challenging for promotion. Playing with fear doesn't get you promotion, and  neither does  players not enjoying the way they are asked to play such as lumping it forward for people to chase. The instigator of those tactics has left the building thank goodness. What will give us a good chance of promotion is playing football, on the pitch and not in the air. 

The rules won’t let us be reckless

And isn't that a good rule.

The owner has been generous but possibly unwise so far, and is desperate for a quick fix without further investment in a loss making enterprise that he is underwriting. So no room there either.

I like a lot of what the chairman has done. He has trusted people to do the job and not been afraid to move them on when they stray from the agreement. No one knows when they employ someone to run a club (or a widget factory for that matter), if they are going to be successful, sometimes they let you down. So it is no mess, just an inconvenience that has to be sorted.

1 hour ago, ramit said:

Knows what a good midfield balance is all about i should think and has connections too, foreign even.  So yeah, why not.

Seriously, is that the bar we are setting?

How many ex-players could fit that remit?

I'm not saying he won't be a great manager, but to say 'yeah why not' because he knows about balancing midfield and has European connections is like saying let's hire Tony Soprano because he knows how to motivate people and has great connections in Europe.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Seriously, is that the bar we are setting?

How many ex-players could fit that remit?

I'm not saying he won't be a great manager, but to say 'yeah why not' because he knows about balancing midfield and has European connections is like saying let's hire Tony Soprano because he knows how to motivate people and has great connections in Europe.

Seriously, is that the best you've got?

Lampard is being considered for the job, not some other ex-player, Tony Soprano or Batman for that matter.

9 hours ago, cannable said:

Such as...

In short, I Am speculating.  It’s fair to say that we have a number of international level players and some who have played at a very high level in the league.

To suggest that a manager who has had few achievements and largely was a bottom two divisions player will command the respect of all of our squad is worthy of scrutiny.

Look at how Wassall was treated by Shackell, for instance. (Thankfully he is now consigned to history!)

and another day of refreshing various webpages begins. I'm glad something happened to see me through to the World Cup.

By the way, Lampard's now at 4/6

Mick McCarthy has climbed up to 3rd favourite.

Dean Smith remains second favourite.

Archived