Derby County have already interviewed candidates about the vacant manager's position

Rample

15 hours ago, whiteroseram said:

Lamps wouldn't be my first choice but with regards to seeing Derby job as a stepping stone...so would basically every other manager! That's championship football! We either appoint someone who's sentimentally attached to the club or it'll be a step on the career ladder (either on way up or way down!) 

Don,t you think we have all had enough of this sentimental  crap ,let,s be bold and go for someone who will get us some good publicity and get bums on seats

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We started interviewing quite quickly. Wouldn’t be surprised if something is announced before the weekend. 

Tuesday and Wednesday first round interviews. 

Thursday second round and Moor Farm visit. 

Friday contract signed and press photos and we finally unveil Wassall... ?

The speed of this seems to suggest we were quite prepared for Rowett to leave at the end of the season should promotion not be achieved.

With Lambert only being appointed on a short term contract by Stoke, this all seems to fit that there may have been some sort of gentleman's agreement in place with all 3 parties since January?

4 minutes ago, Carnero said:

With Lambert only being appointed on a short term contract by Stoke, this all seems to fit that there may have been some sort of gentleman's agreement in place with all 3 parties since January?

Can't see why there'd be a gentleman's agreement to pay us c£2m?

8 hours ago, bcnram said:

An overly large squad, many on high wages, long contracts and past their physical best. Competing against parachute teams with 50 million more to spend that we (or any other similar club ) haven’t got. .. that’s the problem

That isn't a problem, that is just a challenge. Huddersfield, Burnley. Cardiff and others have  overcome the challenge. It is also a challenge for teams coming down with loss of players etc.

The wage bill is more than the turnover .. that’s a mess ... got it ? 

Well my boldy writing friend it certainly isn't ideal and I suspect the reason is no longer with the club, but it is hardly a mess as it can be undone over the next year or so.

Dial in that the league rules on spending and that Mel doesn’t have an oil well. 

That is true, he doesn't have an oil well but that isn't a mess.

The only way out of the mess is quick promotion via spending (cant do ) or a slower route accepting that you need to develop from the bottom. ... difficult to execute given the financial restrictions and demand for a quick fix by an owner who’s gambles haven’t paid off so far. 

Spending is no guarantee of anything. Derby have some reasonably talented players who are certainly good enough to be challenging for promotion. Playing with fear doesn't get you promotion, and  neither does  players not enjoying the way they are asked to play such as lumping it forward for people to chase. The instigator of those tactics has left the building thank goodness. What will give us a good chance of promotion is playing football, on the pitch and not in the air. 

The rules won’t let us be reckless

And isn't that a good rule.

The owner has been generous but possibly unwise so far, and is desperate for a quick fix without further investment in a loss making enterprise that he is underwriting. So no room there either.

I like a lot of what the chairman has done. He has trusted people to do the job and not been afraid to move them on when they stray from the agreement. No one knows when they employ someone to run a club (or a widget factory for that matter), if they are going to be successful, sometimes they let you down. So it is no mess, just an inconvenience that has to be sorted.

I think we agree although I flinch somewhat at the idea that you can’t call a problem a problem. Yes it’s a challenge dealing with a problem and one I think we can rise to, but it is still a problem. 

I highlighted part of my reply really just to signal my key response to the nub of your question.

I will always be positive unless we are mired in debt and heading for relegation. Even then I will support the men on the pitch.

As the the rules and FFP and so on .. yes it is a good rule but it needs refining. The skew to parachute clubs has not been addressed. It adds to the already overloaded, unfundable wage pressure in our league which in my opinion needs re working. 

11 minutes ago, cosmic said:

We started interviewing quite quickly. Wouldn’t be surprised if something is announced before the weekend. 

Tuesday and Wednesday first round interviews. 

Thursday second round and Moor Farm visit. 

Friday contract signed and press photos and we finally unveil Wassall... ?

I hope not! ??‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Carnero said:

The speed of this seems to suggest we were quite prepared for Rowett to leave at the end of the season should promotion not be achieved.

Interesting thought. I remember reading a Paul Jewell interview where he said he regretted taking the Derby job in the January and that he’d have had a better chance of doing a decent job if he’d waited until the summer when we were relegated. He took the hangover down with him. 

Nakes you wonder if this is what stopped Rowett going in January. 

10 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I thought this as well. Maybe Mel agreed that he could go at the end of the season if he didn't achieve promotion, gave him a pay rise to sweeten the deal and popped the £2 million release clause in there to give us a bit of protection. That would explain why we are interviewing so quick, Mel knew that this was a very real possibility and had already been preparing for his departure? Just speculation but would make sense.

TobyWanKenobi
19 hours ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Said elsewhere. I understand we've had permission to speak to Smith but it's all being kept hush hush so that he can go back there if it doesn't work out and Brentford don't have to deal with any fall out. Very professional. 

Carvahal has also been 'interviewed'. 

What, Brentford didn't put a post on the website about it to turn fans against the manager?

Shocking state of affairs!

Yes it would be a punt on frank but every manager starts somewhere? Nolan, Zidane? Both players and now by all accounts decent managers.

Frank Lampard would bring something much needed to this club........Something different. All our managers since Nigel have been stuck up Average dross. It would intrigue me to see Lampards team and how he likes to play/set up.

Jodie Morris has won the youth cup with Chelsea 6 times while youth manager. He would know a lot of youngsters who are good enough for the step up....

Frank would have endless contacts and would be able to work with a budget as he would be able to get in some decent loans. Im fully behind the idea of super frank....

2 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Yes it would be a punt on frank but every manager starts somewhere? Nolan, Zidane? Both players and now by all accounts decent managers.

Frank Lampard would bring something much needed to this club........Something different. All our managers since Nigel have been stuck up Average dross. It would intrigue me to see Lampards team and how he likes to play/set up.

Jodie Morris has won the youth cup with Chelsea 6 times while youth manager. He would know a lot of youngsters who are good enough for the step up....

Frank would have endless contacts and would be able to work with a budget as he would be able to get in some decent loans. Im fully behind the idea of super frank....

and we get a new chant in the deal.....

Super Frankie Lampard......all together now......

Pure speculation (I am not ITK): but I don't think Lampard would want his first job to be so hampered with regards to money available for transfers. I think it would be seen as too great a risk, for his first job, to walk into a massive club and not have money to play with. 

Of all the favourites, I'd go for Dean Smith. But I have a feeling that Wassall will get it. 

23 minutes ago, desirelines said:

Pure speculation (I am not ITK): but I don't think Lampard would want his first job to be so hampered with regards to money available for transfers. I think it would be seen as too great a risk, for his first job, to walk into a massive club and not have money to play with. 

Of all the favourites, I'd go for Dean Smith. But I have a feeling that Wassall will get it. 

oooh what massive club has he been linked with now?

23 minutes ago, desirelines said:

Why would Dean Smith come? Brentford finished 8th last season and have a good squad with a bit of adding to they could be looking at top 6 this season, That's a lot higher than we will be aiming for the next 2 seasons.....

2 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Why would Dean Smith come? Brentford finished 8th last season and have a good squad with a bit of adding to they could be looking at top 6 this season, That's a lot higher than we will be aiming for the next 2 seasons.....

Fair question. Hmmm. One reason might be that - despite my inclination to play it down - Derby is a pretty big club. He might be the kind of manager who wants a 'step up'. Then again, Smith might not fancy managing a club with 25,000 fans week-in-week-out and all the pressures that come with that. A second reason, rather cynically, might be that he'd be likely double his wage a Derby. 

34 minutes ago, desirelines said:

Let's be honest - Lampard can have all the ideas and tactics that he likes, but he won't have a scooby what to do when he realises that the team he's inherited can't pull it off and he can't just go out and spend millions on a squad full of internationals. He's never seen anyone get that extra 10%-15% out of a bang average  player, because he's never played in a team that had any

Archived