Gary Rowett gone to Stoke

Mckram

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Topram said:

Big mick just left Ipswich because he was fed up with the fans moaning?? Which suggest he’d walk out here by September 

McCarthy would be a seriously tone deaf appointment. You can tell already that half the fan base would be against him from day 1.

I'm not saying that MM should being swayed by popular but he has to surely consider that hiring McCarthy could see a fair chunk of the fan base deciding that they have better things to do on a Saturday.

Now it's official, we really need to move on and get his replacement in so we aren't left behind in the transfer market, but at the same time ensure we are appointing the right person for us. And in deciding the right person for us, I really hope Mel has a strong idea in his mind of the direction he wants this club to go, and it's imperative we stick to it. There's been too much chopping and changing in recent years and that has done nothing but hinder us. It's a huge kick in the balls that the first time we look like backing a manager despite inconsistent spells and not exactly enthralling football, he ***** off for more money.

But we'll now have circa £2m extra in the funds that we weren't expecting, not from this particular departure anyway. I imagine after his new deal earlier this year, GR became one of the better paid managers in the division. That means it would take more compensation to get him than it would for most managers in our league, so we should be able to afford an in-work manager who would see us as a step-up and still have a healthier bank balance than when Rowett was here. Whoever comes in, out of work or not though, MUST be given support and time. I don't think Rowett was given a fair amount by a certain proportion of fans, and his tenure divided us more than I can remember for a long time. It's not feasible for us to play like Barcelona and walk the league. Let's not expect that because the next manager is just going to end up the same.

In reality, it makes zero difference to us as a club whether we finish 7th or 19th this season. What I want to see is the club actually developing and looking strong going forward. We have one year to go before most of the Clement high-earners can be released. Our league position this upcoming season won't really impact our chances of promotion the following season, so for the new manager I just really want to see us play some exciting stuff, have some players to get excited about and begin to develop a real identity again. Providing we don't go down, league position isn't that important.

There's a few managers on the list that I would be happy with. Nobody is really going to come here with a flawless record and be the choice by 100% of the fan-base. I just hope whoever it is can be backed fully without negative comments from the second he's announced and before he's even had his first cuppa in the manager's office.

Progressive football. Promising talent on the pitch. Supported by the fans. Not too much to ask?

2 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

Everyone's slagging off Rowett but does anyone else think the club just be a bit toxic? This has all come about a bit suddenly...

Maybe but in a weird way  this feels like the most united we've been as a fan base in a while (Well on here anyway). ?

Archived