Gary Rowett gone to Stoke

Mckram

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Igorwasking said:

I do recall him saying something to the extent of “we will need to wheel and deal - but I still want to be able to build and be competing at the top end of the division”. 

Maybe he’s decided that won’t be possible?

Maybe he's realised he's not as much of a draw to players as he thought?!

I'll be disappointed if Rowett goes because he won't have to reap what he's sown. We will almost certainly fare worse next season, largely as a result of decisions Rowett made. Signing exclusively older players, selling the crown jewels at cut price, and doing zero work on blooding academy players. If he leaves many Derby fans and certainly the wider football community will be crowing about how well Rowett did to get us in the play offs when we end up mid table next season.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Anon said:

I'll be disappointed if Rowett goes because he won't have to reap what he's sown. We will almost certainly fare worse next season, largely as a result of decisions Rowett made. Signing exclusively older players, selling the crown jewels at cut price, and doing zero work on blooding academy players. If he leaves many Derby fans and certainly the wider football community will be crowing about how well Rowett did to get us in the play offs when we end up mid table next season.

I wouldn't call wisdom or lawrence older players

Delighted he's going.

he produced the most boring football i've witnessed in 48 years of watching the Rams.

got to laugh at all the south standers and yes men singing his praises.

p.s. @leedsram you me £20 and a pint.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Delighted he's going.

he produced the most boring football i've witnessed in 48 years of watching the Rams.

got to laugh at all the south standers and yes men singing his praises.

p.s. @leedsram you me £20 and a pint.

I’m a South Stander and I support whoever is in charge, it’s called supporting, why laugh at us?

18 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Bloody hell. I put my phone down for 3 hours and come back to find an extra 50 pages on thus thread. 

**** reading all that. Someone catch me up. Has he signed yet?

Rowett has asked for permission to speak to Stoke. They are continuing negotiations into the night, likely to be announced tomorrow. Either way he won't be staying - not after asking for permission to leave.

I was never his biggest fan but I was prepared to start next season with him and let him see through his squad restructuring. I wouldn't have sacked him certainly.

But if someone offers us £2mn for him it's an absolute no brainer for me. I wish him well, but I'm not in slightest bit sad he's going. 

We'll definitely get someone who is perfectly capable of doing what needs doing: which is cut the wage bill significantly over next season or so, blood youth and keep us around midtable, until we have room in FFP to go again.

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Who told you that? We had to sell players to be able to buy this season - we made a net profit on player transfers. It's even worse next year - sounds like we will struggle to sign anyone even if we sell first - I don't agree that he knew that from the start. He knew the wage bill needed decreasing, but not like this.

He had a shot this season, but wants to progress his career like any other human being on the planet - Stoke are much more likely to get back to the Prem than we are at this point in time.

He came in to the club from a year in the wilderness and would have been given a job remit as would anyone .   if he wanted to progress his career he could have gone in January and saved us his ******** and spiel.    the bottom line is the job is clearly to big for him and he's took the easy option  - smith, cox and burley all put together  great teams buying at less than  they sold he clearly doesn't think he's up to there standard

Archived