Gary Rowett gone to Stoke

Mckram

22 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

No it's a bit of both. We were ravaged by injuries for large parts of the season but even when we got basically our full squad towards the end of the season we were still getting thumped by the likes Reading. We fell away due to injuries and we didn't recover due to mentality.

We were never back up to full strength, nowhere near. Sammon started our penultimate game and Warnock was holding mid against Reading. Martin had a few halves in an attempt to rush him back 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want Rowett to stay, but choosing between a club that has £100mill to spend or a club where you have to sell all your best players to maybe have a chance of being able to bring anyone new in seems like a no brainer to me.

In regards to a new manager why anyone would want Igor as a manager is beyond me - good player, but that is it. I like Warburtons play style, but don't want another Sam Rush here thanks. Would prefer a younger manager, but think we will get McCarthy to be honest and he will probably have the best chance of keeping us up.

I won't lie I don't think next season is going to be pretty if Mel doesn't get the new appointment dead on. Losing another manager midway through another rebuild, losing Vydra, probably losing Carson now as well, selling as much of the family silver (whats left of it) as we can get away with isn't going to leave a new manager much to work with unless it is someone who is going to actually be able to utilise the academy to its full potential (would be nice if we had any manager that could find a use for some of our youth players.)

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

If someone offered us £1.8m for Butterfield I'd snap their hand off. As Rowetts football style is about as boringly similar, I'd snap their hand off for Rowett to go.

The downturn in attendances is noted by MM here and Rowetts football is a huge factor.

We are getting lucky on this one if it happens. Very early on, can plan properly and hey, MM will have learnt his lesson and can bring in an attacking coach.

There hasn't really been a significant downturn in attendances though. They are almost exactly the same - maybe 500 -1000 in it if Mel Morris is to be believed. Season ticket sales were virtually the same if not greater than the previous season.

14 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Just gonna drop this chestnut again

Manager win rates:

Gary Rowett 41.67%

Steve McClaren 2016-2017 45.83%

Nigel Pearson 28.57%

Darren Wassall 50.00%

Paul Clement 42.42%

Steve McClaren 2013-2015 53.68%

Again, I'd take middling results in exchange for intent to build for the future and entertaining football. Last season was largely painful to watch, we sold off our two most promising youngsters and blew up the wage bill with more 30+ yr olds 

Your win rates are out of date - Rowett is up to 43.3%. Doesn't change what you say in your post - just saying.

10 minutes ago, Doodle said:

It’s about time Derby had some luck, this if it happens will be our best bit of business for ages. Gary going and us getting 2/3 million is brilliant. As long as we don’t stuff it in a brown paper bag and give it to Allerdyce

That wouldn't even cover big sams lunch money!

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

I want Rowett to stay, but choosing between a club that has £100mill to spend or a club where you have to sell all your best players to maybe have a chance of being able to bring anyone new in seems like a no brainer to me.

In regards to a new manager why anyone would want Igor as a manager is beyond me - good player, but that is it. I like Warburtons play style, but don't want another Sam Rush here thanks. Would prefer a younger manager, but think we will get McCarthy to be honest and he will probably have the best chance of keeping us up.

I won't lie I don't think next season is going to be pretty if Mel doesn't get the new appointment dead on. Losing another manager midway through another rebuild, losing Vydra, probably losing Carson now as well, selling as much of the family silver (whats left of it) as we can get away with isn't going to leave a new manager much to work with unless it is someone who is going to actually be able to utilise the academy to its full potential (would be nice if we had any manager that could find a use for some of our youth players.)

There hasn't really been a significant downturn in attendances though. They are almost exactly the same - maybe 500 -1000 in it if Mel Morris is to be believed. Season ticket sales were virtually the same if not greater than the previous season.

Your win rates are out of date - Rowett is up to 43.3%. Doesn't change what you say in your post - just saying.

Agree on the Igor point.  It’d be nice to have him at the club in some capacity but his managerial record leaves a lot to be desired.

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

You think relegation isn’t possible don’t be too sure on that one. 

Certainly don’t think we’re too big to go down but I don’t expect 16 clubs to overtake us next year...

1 minute ago, curtains said:

The Warburton who was sacked by Forest no less. 

Same MAC who was sacked by forest? 

40 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

There is still no guarantee that having spoken to Stoke that GR is going to take the role. 

Its all still in the balance, he’s currently “talking” to Stoke that’s all. 

I hope if he doesn’t move to Stoke there isn’t going to be a “Mac type toon” witch hunt. 

He is still our manager and remains so until announced otherwise. 

********.  He’s dead to me 

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

That's a no then.

Seems a bit harsh bashing GR with completely unsubstantiated facts.

That was a joke, but I don't think it's overreaching to assume Huddlestone, Ledley and Davis (albeit, deservedly) are on among the higher wages in the league. 

Wow, I've been off the radar with no phone & internet today and just logged in. Blimey, I've just had a shock.....id heard Rowett was favourite for the Stoke job but just assumed it was the clayheads lumping on him at the bookies....?

Not quite sure how I feel about it all but whatever happens with GR and Stoke, his future now cannot be with us. He absolutely cannot stay if he's looking to speak to anyone else....

Liked the man, didn't like his 'football' philosophy.....

Oh well, onwards and upwards...

Archived