MULTI-POLL: Returning loan players - do they have a future here?

Mostyn6

Would these players have a future at Derby if it was up to you? (when loans finish)  

327 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Martin - good option to have, different to all other striking options. 

Bennett - not going to cost a lot, injuries have hampered him. Looked good at the start of the season. Give another season to see how he gets on as he's a cheap fringe player to add depth. 

Butterfield - technically gifted and would probably work well in this midfield two if he's the one given the freedom. Can fully understand why some won't give him a second chance but there is a player in there, his stats were good and he was a credible goal threat (of which we are currently lacking bar Vydra). 

Let Bryson and Blackman go. Both on decent salaries if we're using common sense to gauge it and both have done alright in their respective loans. Hopefully well enough for someone to take a punt? 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For transparency, I'd keep none.

I'd give M. Bennet and J. Hanson eventually another chance and one more season to go on loan to prove themselves finally, somewhere where they can play football regularly.

Afterwards, either they'll become an integral part of the first team or just simply release as not good enough.

I'd keep Martin and Bryson and encourage them to work closely together like they did in the past.

I'd love to see Martin and Vydra playing up top with Bryson playing as an attacking midfielder, Bryson would benefit from the space created by the front 2 and both Vydra and Bryson would benefit from Martins lay offs and hold up play.

Butterfield should go regardless. If Rowett is the manager the rest should all go as well. If someone more attack minded keep Bryson and maybe Martin. However if we are still in the Championship next season it doesn't sound like we will have a choice since we are going to be cost cutting again, so I assume the only one of those not on pretty decent wages is Bennett and hence will be the only one we would keep.

Based on how we currently play: Blackman, Bryson & Bennett. 

Martin doesn't/can't play that number 9 role, he doesn't run the channels and we very rarely (if ever) play the ball into the feet of the striker which is the only way you would get the best out of him. He's without question one of the most talented players I've ever seen at Derby, but he's also one of the most one dimensional players I've ever seen. period.

Butterfield should probably join Clement at Reading and he'd be firing them in again. 

I never understood the abuse of Blackman, he's definitely no worse than Weimann. 

I'd love to think Bryso and Martin have a future here, but I can't see how they do.

Bryson could walk into our midfield in the current system though.

5 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Not for me, sorry.

I'm the same with Bennett, I don't get the desire to want to give him one more go. He's simply not good enough, wasn't good enough at Bradford or Chesterfield and the hope seems to be that just because he's a local lad something will spark in him at some point. He's had enough chances, and I've lost patience with mediocre football - can we try to bring in players who both improve the team and give us a chance of selling them for more than we paid for them.

With the exception of Vydra (depending on which valuation you believe) I don't see us being able to do that. OK, you can argue Ince, Christie, Hughes, Hendrick - all fair shouts - but the cupboard is bare now.

So you think 5 league starts for us is enough to say Bennett isn't good enough? And because when he was 17-18 he didn't make enough of an impact (for you) when out on loan? You've lost patience with a youth team player because he made his debut at 15, and now he that he is 21 and he is still developing you don't think he will be good enough. 

I'd let pretty much all our squad go at the right price, actually I'd shift most below market value.

Whoever gets Martin for what is realistically going to be £1.5-2m plus add ons is going to get their moneys worth in the long run, but he's through here unless we get a new manager wanting that kind of striker.

Talk of Bryson is starting to sound like a broken record. Everybody accepts we lack legs in midfield, but some can't seem to acknowledge Bryson wouldn't exactly help. Yes I know he's 'enthusiastic' but he's older than most players we moan about, will never recapture the form you remember, and would be as burnt out as anyone now. Also seem to recall that for each niggle that kept him out it took him a month to get back to speed so how much use we'd get out of him I don't know.

Could be an impact sub I guess but like Martin it's a lot to pay each week for a benchwarmer. Let's give Guy, Elsnik or Thomas that job instead.

Butterfield's bridges are burned, if he isn't offloaded permanently he will be shipped out on loan.

I like Bennett but I don't see a way in here now, if he was going to get used this was the season, but now I'm assuming he's behind Thomas who probably won't make the bench. I'd like to see him get one last shot - a loan to league one or the championship to prove he has something. If he's not getting that shot I think we need a big sell on clause. He reminds me of one of those players who drops down the leagues and gets a 7 figure move back up to the championship. 

Blackman is pretty much obsolete. He'd probably be a decent signing for someone given a chance, but again won't get that here so best for all if he moves on.

Breaks my heart to do it, but I voted to let Martin go because I don't want his career to just peter out, which I think it would if he returned to Rowett's Derby.

I only voted to keep Bennett, as injury impeded his chances this season.

The others - too old, too much bad blood and too little to offer - I will leave you to guess which is which! 

I went with the OP and voted as I would if I were Derby manager, not what I think Plowett would do.

Martin keep, smart centre forwards who I'd build my passing team around aren't ten a penny, and this ones in situ.

Blackman I'd let go, he may be an option as the right forward in a 3, but he's had a decent time on loan and I wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted a permanent move to Israel, use the funds/wages to strengthen elsewhere or create a more cohesive smaller squad.

Butterfield I voted keep. There's a proper two footed creative player buried deep in there, with good shooting ability to boot. The way I'd play he could certainly offer something, in tandem with the next on the list, Bryson.

Bryson keep, he'd alternate with the above mentioned, as well as being useful when I went full on against the weaker teams. He's done well enough at Cardiff this season to suggest the tanks not empty yet, although if they went up and wanted him I wouldn't stand in his way, as a matter of doing right by a decent servant.

Bennett also keep. His 20 min cameo had Cashley hot footing It to the states for semi retirement, seemed really close to making his mark this pre season before injury once again sidelined him.

He's here, he's cheap and he's worth persevering with as a result.

I wouldn't expect Plowett to keep any of them on, if it was his choice.

Archived