what is the point of Lawrence

FindernRam

4 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Oh I agree he’s been  poor but he does have ability.

Wiemann I’d say is all effort and running with very little ability. If you compare the two you can’t say that Lawrence isn’t technically a better player, even if he rarely shows it

+1

Lawrence looked better with Martin.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

+1

Lawrence looked better with Martin.

Hate to keep going on, but god I miss him. We so desperately miss someone who holds the ball to bring others into play in attacking positions. Missed it for two seasons now when he’s still our player, explain that...

1 hour ago, Mckram said:

Oh I agree he’s been very poor but he does have ability.

Wiemann I’d say is all effort and running with very little ability. If you compare the two you can’t say that Lawrence isn’t technically a better player, even if he very rare shows it.

I just wish there was a solution, we have no money to get any quality in so seem stuck with what we have! 

His big problem is that he doesn't have much upper body strength, or any real genuine pace.  So he largely just gets knocked off the ball, and even if he does beat a man, he isn't always quick enough to pull clear.  If we were playing mcclaren style pass-and-move, it would be less of a problem as there are always plenty of other players running off him pulling defenders away and cresting space. But with rowett's system, the forwards all get spread out and isolated, so he gets doubled up on every time he gets the ball.

I don't give this. 90% of the time Lawrence receives the ball it's usually from a 40 yard pass out from defence or Huddlestone. He's then got to bring it down, trap it and look to run up the pitch usually with 1-2 players swarming him. Normally, in situations like this, the closest Derby player to him is nearly 3 miles away. It means not only has he got to pluck the ball out the air, get the ball under control after running god knows how far to chase it down in the first place. He then has to beat 1-2 players to even give him the slightest chance of doing something productive with the ball. 

No doubting his ability, but we're asking him to do one hellvajob. If he had a full back supporting him or a central midfielder coming across to give him an option and he messed up simple passes,etc. then I would be in full agreement. It's just not the case, though. 

Players consistently look isolated in this team, plus we're constantly looking to play a long ball game passing into space. I'd love to see what Lawrence could do in a team that provided him with options, movement and gave him the ball into feet. 

14 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Players consistently look isolated in this team, plus we're constantly looking to play a long ball game passing into space. I'd love to see what Lawrence could do in a team that provided him with options, movement and gave him the ball into feet. 

I'd agree with this. I feel like it's unfair to judge a lot of players ability in this system. Lawrence would have probably thrived during the McClaren era and likewise McClaren would have probably given a ******** to have been able to drop 8 million on a forward of his calibre.

18 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I don't give this. 90% of the time Lawrence receives the ball it's usually from a 40 yard pass out from defence or Huddlestone. He's then got to bring it down, trap it and look to run up the pitch usually with 1-2 players swarming him. Normally, in situations like this, the closest Derby player to him is nearly 3 miles away. It means not only has he got to pluck the ball out the air, get the ball under control after running god knows how far to chase it down in the first place. He then has to beat 1-2 players to even give him the slightest chance of doing something productive with the ball. 

No doubting his ability, but we're asking him to do one hellvajob. If he had a full back supporting him or a central midfielder coming across to give him an option and he messed up simple passes,etc. then I would be in full agreement. It's just not the case, though. 

He looked good when playing close to Chris Martin earlier in the season - whenever they were on the pitch at the same time at least.

12 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Hate to keep going on, but god I miss him. We so desperately miss someone who holds the ball to bring others into play in attacking positions. Missed it for two seasons now when he’s still our player, explain that...

Jeez why is it every player looks better playing with Martin ,zzzzzzzzzzzzz , except maybe anybody currently playing for reading ,, or next best thing any player being currently crucified would have been better in a maclaren team ,,,,

when will you lot learn you are part of the problem with all this ******** looking backwards stuff ,, by all means be unhappy with rowett ,by all means be unhappy with the football but ffs talk about now or moving forward ,, if maclaren was even in a job and doing half decent then fair enough ,, if Martin could even get in a poor below us reading team half regularly and was  doing the business then fair enough but they ain’t 

6 minutes ago, archied said:

Jeez why is it every player looks better playing with Martin ,zzzzzzzzzzzzz , except maybe anybody currently playing for reading ,, or next best thing any player being currently crucified would have been better in a maclaren team ,,,,

when will you lot learn you are part of the problem with all this ******** looking backwards stuff ,, by all means be unhappy with rowett ,by all means be unhappy with the football but ffs talk about now or moving forward ,, if maclaren was even in a job and doing half decent then fair enough ,, if Martin could even get in a poor below us reading team half regularly and was  doing the business then fair enough but they ain’t 

Just gave a throwaway opinion talking about us lacking a hold up player that some players currently playing could benefit on. I mean, when our current strikers aren’t performing then those questions will come up? I mean it can be part of an interesting debate about our current set up not suiting our players or we can try shut everything down that borders on a slight criticism?

11 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

I'd agree with this. I feel like it's unfair to judge a lot of players ability in this system. Lawrence would have probably thrived during the McClaren era and likewise McClaren would have probably given a ******** to have been able to drop 8 million on a forward of his calibre.

Agree with this...

The only time that I saw Lawrence look remotely comfortable was a period of lovely interplay when he,Nugent and Martin linked up in one of the rare matches they played briefly together....

It was so beautiful to watch for a few seconds,I actually forgot how crap the rest of the game was.....

It's stuff like that,that makes me even angrier with rowetts ways.

18 minutes ago, archied said:

You are missing the point .. its not necessarily the return of Martin that is being asked for but ANY forward player who can do what he did - receive the ball, hold it, control it and pass it effectively to another team member, plus score goals and take a good free kick. Apparently Rowett doesn't value such things. Take any recent match and the ability of our forwards to do the basics like control the ball and pass to another team member has been poor. It may be , as some above say ,that they are only receiving the ball via long, well telegraphed passes that ask too much of them. But again that is down to Rowett.  Another forward with Martin's skills and who is a bit quicker would be good .. but we got Cameron Jerome instead.

11 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

He looked good when playing close to Chris Martin earlier in the season - whenever they were on the pitch at the same time at least.

Yes I went to Barnsley and Martin had a good game and held the ball up well,for some reason we have not seen Martin start since and now out on loan I really don’t get that.

11 minutes ago, DRBee said:

You are missing the point .. its not necessarily the return of Martin that is being asked for but ANY forward player who can do what he did - receive the ball, hold it, control it and pass it effectively to another team member, plus score goals and take a good free kick. Apparently Rowett doesn't value such things. Take any recent match and the ability of our forwards to do the basics like control the ball and pass to another team member has been poor. It may be , as some above say ,that they are only receiving the ball via long, well telegraphed passes that ask too much of them. But again that is down to Rowett.  Another forward with Martin's skills and who is a bit quicker would be good .. but we got Cameron Jerome instead.

Good reply , talk now and future ,is what we have now good enough ? Can rowett produce good enough if given time ? If not do we need to change managers at season end? If so who do we want? 

Tuff accuses me of shutting down anything that borders on criticism but that’s easy bullsjjt to shut down anything that points out all these all our yesterday managers and players didn’t quite cut it in getting us up and have gone down hill since their good season with us ,, put any suggestion to me on moving forward and I’m happy to listen and debate whether it includes rowett or not but keep banging on about bringing Martin back ,Bryson back ,Mac back ,,, I loved those times just like everybody else but it’s not the future 

Archived