what is the point of Lawrence

FindernRam

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was noticeable how his teammates kept geeing him up and ruffling his hair.

Credit to Rowett for not taking him off today because prior to his goal he was pants.

Much of our fall from grace has been down to our wide players’ inability to make an impact or indeed keep the ball. Playing a back six (we don’t really have a midfield) puts enormous pressure on the front four. They have to step up if our season is to be successful.

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

It was noticeable how his teammates kept geeing him up and ruffling his hair.

Credit to Rowett for not taking him off today because prior to his goal he was pants.

Much of our fall from grace has been down to our wide players’ inability to make an impact or indeed keep the ball. Playing a back six (we don’t really have a midfield) puts enormous pressure on the front four. They have to step up if our season is to be successful.

if some senior players can get behind him, feed him a few early balls. - he could ignite the season a bit at the right time - TLC for the lad

29 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Saw him half a dozen times at Ipswich last season, always thought he was a good player. GR has struggled to get the best out of him, he needs to come inside more and shoot - He was lethal with the long rangers last season.

Trouble is, the lad can't win whatever he does. A few weeks ago I read the question posed ' why does he always shoot from 50 yards?' I can feel a new law coming up :- 'Distance expands to meet the level of criticism required'.

1 hour ago, archied said:

It’s a very interesting question to pose at all those who slate rowett and older signings calling for young players and being happy to give them time performance and results wise yet we have spent money on a young player ( yes not peanuts but market rate for young potential at his age and level) ,,,,,,, look at the time and support he is getting ( myself having doubts at times ) ,, and believe that all will be rosy for those fans when those youngsters falter and take time if ever to be good enough at this level ,,, yer right

Post of the day for me :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, archied said:

It’s a very interesting question to pose at all those who slate rowett and older signings calling for young players and being happy to give them time performance and results wise yet we have spent money on a young player ( yes not peanuts but market rate for young potential at his age and level) ,,,,,,, look at the time and support he is getting ( myself having doubts at times ) ,, and believe that all will be rosy for those fans when those youngsters falter and take time if ever to be good enough at this level ,,, yer right

...or perhaps some of us don't see "the obvious talent" that others keep talking about. I can see Casey Palmer's talent, I could instantly see Will Hughes's talent, and I can see Max Lowe's talent.... I can't see TL's. So giving somebody lots of time can not make up for what they haven't got. I would have had Casey Palmer in today no question from the start even though TL won the game with a free kick. And even though I now know the result, and who scored I would still start with Casey Palmer. Does that make me negative? Does it make me wrong? Of course not...I would rather pay to watch Palmer than Lawrence and still have more confidence in Palmer than in TL. When TL steps up to the plate totally, I will eat my words but one free-kick out of 30 that have flashed high and wide does not do it for me. 

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

...or perhaps some of us don't see "the obvious talent" that others keep talking about. I can see Casey Palmer's talent, I could instantly see Will Hughes's talent, and I can see Max Lowe's talent.... I can't see TL's. So giving somebody lots of time can not make up for what they haven't got. I would have had Casey Palmer in today no question from the start even though TL won the game with a free kick. And even though I now know the result, and who scored I would still start with Casey Palmer. Does that make me negative? Does it make me wrong? Of course not...I would rather pay to watch Palmer than Lawrence and still have more confidence in Palmer than in TL. When TL steps up to the plate totally, I will eat my words but one free-kick out of 30 that have flashed high and wide does not do it for me. 

You are wrong. 

He played great in the Reading away game and scored also. 

He was good today 

Max Lowe ! Really how often is he fit. 

Tom Lawrence was bought following impressive performances by him whilst at very poor Ipswich Town last season. Unfortunately he was a decent player in a very poor team at Ipswich. This could have made him look better due to very poor team mates. I have no doubt that he has talent but is very inconsistent. However I do wonder if he is hampered by a cautious coach. Would Tom excel more with a Steve McClaren in charge. He is a flair player like Tom Ince before him. If given more freedom he could well destroy a lot of teams in this league. I personally would like to see Lawrence, Vydra and Palmer all playing off Nugent with no shackles. Gary will not drop him as he is his big money marquee signing. Dropping him would most likely cause ruptions with Mel and questions raised over Gary’s aptitude to buy players.

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I completely agree. He bought nothing to the game apart from his goal. Even after he scored I thought he was average. He has been shockingly poor all season. If he hadn’t of scored GR would have hawled him off like he did against Sunderland.

He had a few decent games for Ipswich but apart from that hasn’t done anywhere near enough to convince me he deserves to play for Derby. He cost more than Ince which is incredible.

Notice no-one has really praised Weimann recently. IMO our best player behind Huddlestone during our bad spell and probably one of the first names on the team sheet. Starting to see some end product with good deliveries as well as his expected endeavour. All in all biscuit legs Lawrence nice doesn’t do it all for me.

11 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

The vast majority on here couldn't see Vydra ever delivering either. I guess Matej didn't read the script and hopefully Tom won't either.

He's no better than Weimann and less good than Vydra and Palmer, but we paid lots for him so expectations are high. 

He scored some awesome goals at Ipswich but we so far here he's generally failed to deliver anything more than anyone else - and in plenty of games less - and I've no idea whether all this untapped potential I keep reading about will be realised. He certainly has talent in his boots, but not so much up top as yet and that is crucial if he is to develop. That will hopefully come.

He was ok today, no better or worse than anyone else. It was a poor performance in a poor game.

But he finally got a free kick on target so well done for getting a goal. I hope it kicks him on a bit. 

The celebration was just embarrassing though. 

1 hour ago, Warwick Ram said:

Unfortunately he was a decent player in a very poor team at Ipswich. This could have made him look better due to very poor team mates.

How is that different to the past month or 2? 

49 minutes ago, 86 points said:

The vast majority on here couldn't see Vydra ever delivering either. I guess Matej didn't read the script and hopefully Tom won't either.

I could see Vydra's talent; he also has a record from his time with Watford so there's evidence. 11 goals for a poor Ipswich side is less incontrovertible.  Some cannot see Chris Martin's talent despite his record. :mellow:

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

I could see Vydra's talent; he also has a record from his time with Watford so there's evidence. 11 goals for a poor Ipswich side is less incontrovertible.  Some cannot see Chris Martin's talent despite his record. :mellow:

Steve McClaren couldn’t 

21 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Well I can see all talent in all three so there you go. What's Martin got to do with this in any case or are you trying to suggest I don't rate Martin?

Different folks. different strokes I guess. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Your missing the point I’m making Ella ,, it’s about the call in general for young players to be nurtured ,given time and supported ahead of results and performances ,, we all see different things in all players ,i was quietly doubting his potential and went back over  more derby highlights as others saw more in him and moved to a slightly more positive view of him but the jury is still out in my mind though I thought the Man U player we had on loan wasn’t up to much ( name escapes me  but now he’s playing for England , plenty of managers and coaches see the potential in Tom even to the extent of him playing for Wales ,,, you take every one of our under 23 s and you will get the same differing opinions , my point is the constant rubbish of play the under 23 and results won’t matter to us as we will be happy to be nurturing young uns but Tom is young and we have threads like this about him and he is discarded as being rubbish ,,, 

dont add up in my eyes 

Archived