what is the point of Lawrence

FindernRam

21 minutes ago, curtains said:

Steve McClaren couldn’t 

I read the threads ref: Vyds the other night. It's quite interesting to see who was overtly backing him to succeed and who wasn't, let alone those who were basically slaughtering him in the same way we now see with Tom Lawrence ;) 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Well I can see all talent in all three so there you go. What's Martin got to do with this in any case or are you trying to suggest I don't rate Martin?

Different folks. different strokes I guess. 

I don’t know, most blokes I’ve talked to have a similar stroke:ph34r: Up and down, similar motion to derbys season

Just now, 86 points said:

I read the threads ref: Vyds the other night. It's quite interesting to see who was overtly backing him to succeed and who wasn't, let alone those who were basically slaughtering him in the same way we now see with Tom Lawrence ;) 

Latest scapegoat.  

Oh no sorry that’s Rowett. 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

I don’t know, most blokes I’ve talked to have a similar stroke:ph34r: Up and down, similar motion to derbys season

You talk to blokes about their strokes? Blimey, can't you just stick to footy and the weather like most of us.

Young folk today! :D

7 minutes ago, archied said:

Your missing the point I’m making Ella ,, it’s about the call in general for young players to be nurtured ,given time and supported ahead of results and performances ,, we all see different things in all players ,i was quietly doubting his potential and went back over  more derby highlights as others saw more in him and moved to a slightly more positive view of him but the jury is still out in my mind though I thought the Man U player we had on loan wasn’t up to much ( name escapes me  but now he’s playing for England , plenty of managers and coaches see the potential in Tom even to the extent of him playing for Wales ,,, you take every one of our under 23 s and you will get the same differing opinions , my point is the constant rubbish of play the under 23 and results won’t matter to us as we will be happy to be nurturing young uns but Tom is young and we have threads like this about him and he is discarded as being rubbish ,,, 

dont add up in my eyes 

Ok @archied thanks for clarifying and it was Jesse Lingaard I think. 

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Always ends prematurely? 

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

Latest scapegoat.  

Oh no sorry that’s Rowett. 

I don't think that the fact that Rowett was the one that brought him in has done him any favours. That and the price tag. I guess if you want to see the positives you will, if you don't, you most likely won't. Time will show who's right in any case.

21 minutes ago, archied said:

Your missing the point I’m making Ella ,, it’s about the call in general for young players to be nurtured ,given time and supported ahead of results and performances ,, we all see different things in all players ,i was quietly doubting his potential and went back over  more derby highlights as others saw more in him and moved to a slightly more positive view of him but the jury is still out in my mind though I thought the Man U player we had on loan wasn’t up to much ( name escapes me  but now he’s playing for England , plenty of managers and coaches see the potential in Tom even to the extent of him playing for Wales ,,, you take every one of our under 23 s and you will get the same differing opinions , my point is the constant rubbish of play the under 23 and results won’t matter to us as we will be happy to be nurturing young uns but Tom is young and we have threads like this about him and he is discarded as being rubbish ,,, 

dont add up in my eyes 

24 years old is not young for a footballer.

In my opinion,  he's either a bang average winger we've paid over the odds for, or he's a number 10 being played out of position. 

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

In my opinion,  he's either a bang average winger we've paid over the odds for, or he's a number 10 being played out of position. 

Your right to a degree in terms of 24 as some ( fewer nowadays as football has changed) break out younger but in terms of transitioning into being a first team regular with a price tag and expectation he is still young ,,, it’s the way of things now that young  players with potential tend to get very few chances to play for prem clubs that snap them up ,stockpile them and farm them out on loans here there and everywhere ,,, he may turn out a poor investment but my point is people are calling for us to populate our team with even less experienced or potential rated under 23 s as being the nervana that will make them happy to accept poor results and poor performances if that’s what it brings and they will all be cheering those youngsters on and supporting them ,,, total dreamland rubbish ,, the poor buggers would be ripped to shreds at pride park ,, it would be like Christians and lions 

3 hours ago, 86 points said:

The vast majority on here couldn't see Vydra ever delivering either. I guess Matej didn't read the script and hopefully Tom won't either.

He was also being played out of position as either a solo striker or a left winger. Are you suggesting Lawrence is being played out of position like Vydra was? He does strike me as more of a attacking midfielder than a winger.

2 hours ago, archied said:

dont add up in my eyes 

The issue with your point is that you're talking about him as if he's a raw 18/19 year old who barely has any first team experience. He's a 24 year old with a good amount of international and championship experience, having featured in both the Euro 2016 and World Cup 2018 qualifying campaigns for Wales. He's not a youth player by any stretch of the imagination. 

I'm chuffed he grabbed one today and hope he can live up to his potential, but let's not sugar coat how poor he's been for a good part of this season. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Totally agree

but players can improve. 

8 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I thought his goal celebration might have been having a go at his critics. He was due to give us a decent free kick TBF. 

I thought his goal celebration was a ridiculous and disrespectful thing to do, for a player who done sod all since he came here, played in that debacle on Friday and isn't good enough to wash ince's sweaty jockstrap- and Ince was decent but not a world beater so how pant's are you Tom .  Just saying

There's somthing of Bamford about him. Slight immaturity. 

When he grows up and the penny drops he might yet make a decent player.

7 hours ago, lrm14 said:

The issue with your point is that you're talking about him as if he's a raw 18/19 year old who barely has any first team experience. He's a 24 year old with a good amount of international and championship experience, having featured in both the Euro 2016 and World Cup 2018 qualifying campaigns for Wales. He's not a youth player by any stretch of the imagination. 

I'm chuffed he grabbed one today and hope he can live up to his potential, but let's not sugar coat how poor he's been for a good part of this season. 

So do you think Lawrence was bought as the finished article ? One loan season in championship to his name? Spotted and picked up by wales as they don’t have a massive pool to pick from? 

You are missing the point ,, yes he is ahead of a lot of our youth players in terms of age and experience but his is still a young improver with potential in terms of his purchase by us or any other club buying a premiership clubs young reserve who s route to first team football with them was proving hard ,,,I’m not arguing on individual opinions of him as a player but rather pointing out that  perhaps this dream of youngsters filling the team at derby and being cheered and supported no matter results and performances is hairy fairy pie in the sky ,, it’s pretty clear the lad feels some of our fans are on his back and that in some ways a lot of our players are having the kind of relationship they would more naturally have with away fans rather than their own fans ,,, hows that going to work with even younger players?

Archived