Ipswich Town F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

Great opportunity to nudge our way into the top 2. Difficult game all the same. 

You could look at it the other way which is that even a defeat, coupled with a Wolves win, would leave us 2 points off the top 2.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Games coming thick and fast. We paid the price somewhat for not changing anyone on Boxing Day. There have to be a few for this game. I'd suggest it might be:

Carson

Wisdom      Keogh      Davies       Olsson

Ledley      Thorne

Lawrence      Vydra      Johnson

Martin

Resting Nugent, Weimann, Baird, Huddlestone and Forsyth for Monday.

I would certainly be dubious of having Baird, Forsyth, Huddlestone and Nugent playing two games in three days. Time to use our massive squad to good effect. Lawrence has to play against his old team where he did so well.

We seem to be playing your team an awful lot just lately.    Yes it's only twice a season but just seems more often.

In any event I couldn't even predict what will occur in this one.   We're so inconsistent you never what will happen from one week to the next.    Occasionally we're a very cohesive unit that can match any team in this league, more often than not (however) we're between indifferent and poor.    If you saw us with Queens Park Rangers just recent you would realize what I'm trying to emphasize so can only hope we finish the year with a victory.   McCarthy is the epitome of safety first defense minded banality, so maybe for once the gray haired relic can rise above it and provide us with a rare opportunity for some enterprising play in this event.

Should be some goals in it, would hope for more for ourselves by way of that obviously. 

3 hours ago, needles said:

Great opportunity to nudge our way into the top 2. Difficult game all the same. 

You could look at it the other way which is that even a defeat, coupled with a Wolves win, would leave us 2 points off the top 2.

I think that’s exactly how we should look at it. Key really is that Wolves win....anything after that in terms of points can be looked at as something of a bonus. In that scenario a draw wouldn’t be the worst possible result for us. A win even better. But our record not great there, esp in key matches with the pressure on. COYR ???

Happy with another point today.  Ipswich are the archetypal bogey team for us.  A win would be very nice obviously but a draw would keep us ticking along nicely.

After reading about his abject failure as a manager for not making changes against Hull and only getting a point (!?) I'm sure forum presure will lead to some changes in personnel, but very confident in our strength in depth. COYR.

After an arduous Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday schedule, I dare say Gary should pick what he considers his strongest team to be for today, even if that means no changes again.

I'd rather do that than rest players and come away with less points. Not sure why Monday's game is any more important than today, as someone suggested.

Go for the 3 points today and see where we are at Monday. Take each game as it comes.

15 hours ago, Ninos said:

I actually think that’s gonna be the team but you have to think that only a fool would leave Vydra out. Ipswich are praying we don’t start him. 

I love Vydra(almost as much as you) but he has been very leggy in recent weeks and we have got a very important game on Monday. I'd save him for that game so he is fresh. Vydra doesn't work well with Martin whereas Martin and Winnall underestand each other's games and will be 100% fit. We need to remember that the players will have done a lot of travelling the last couple of days which would have added to fatigue.

On the train to Ipswich now with my mate Alex . We are near Bury St Edmunds and we both need a big Rams win as living in Suffolk it’s a nightmare going back to work and listen to the tractor boys spouting off for months on end .

But that won’t be the case today as I’m confident of a Rams win that will give us the bragging rights . Off to the pub we go. COYR

35 minutes ago, Jortat said:

On the train to Ipswich now with my mate Alex . We are near Bury St Edmunds and we both need a big Rams win as living in Suffolk it’s a nightmare going back to work and listen to the tractor boys spouting off for months on end .

But that won’t be the case today as I’m confident of a Rams win that will give us the bragging rights . Off to the pub we go. COYR

Always enjoy the train to an away match; check the forum, plan the boozers, polish off some pre-pub bacon cobs, dream of 3 points, discuss the team selection and tactics.

Then the train home; check the forum, update that you were there and that although it wasn't pretty it's all about the 3 points and going 2nd, couple of cans and a savoury buffet from the extortionate on train trolley service, toast the victory and home for our goals on the tv and a takeaway in front of MOTD (checking out our oppo for next season).

49 minutes ago, Jortat said:

Good men ,give them a shout for me.

Automatic promotion is about the relentless winning of games, where any team below the top two on a run of form gets demoralized when they see they've taken 13 points from 15 yet haven't made any ground up. Cardiff have stumbled. We need to win and then win on Monday and then win again and not show the slightest sign of weakness.

If we start saying, we're happy with draw then in two or three games' time, Leeds or someone else will be above us, or Bristol City will have created a gap. We have put ourselves in the position where we are contenders and with that comes pressure in every single match. We potentially have 22 cup finals to the end of the season. We can rise to the challenge this time and start to stride away from the rest of the division, or we can accept we're not quite there yet and be a team hoping for the one in four chance that the playoffs provide. As we have in all our recent seasons.

Now is the time we'll really see what our players are made of and if there's enough steel and know-how in this new lineup. And it is the time when Rowett will be properly tested. As I said earlier in the thread, we need to rotate the squad today and turn our huge numbers into a strength with which to smite the opposition. As long as the whole squad is pulling together, fresh legs today and on Monday should give us a huge advantage over Ipswich and then Sheffield United.

Come on you Rams!

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Automatic promotion is about the relentless winning of games, where any team below the top two on a run of form gets demoralized when they see they've taken 13 points from 15 yet haven't made any ground up. Cardiff have stumbled. We need to win and then win on Monday and then win again and not show the slightest sign of weakness.

If we start saying, we're happy with draw then in two or three games' time, Leeds or someone else will be above us, or Bristol City will have created a gap. We have put ourselves in the position where we are contenders and with that comes pressure in every single match. We potentially have 22 cup finals to the end of the season. We can rise to the challenge this time and start to stride away from the rest of the division, or we can accept we're not quite there yet and be a team hoping for the one in four chance that the playoffs provide. As we have in all our recent seasons.

Now is the time we'll really see what our players are made of and if there's enough steel and know-how in this new lineup. And it is the time when Rowett will be properly tested. As I said earlier in the thread, we need to rotate the squad today and turn our huge numbers into a strength with which to smite the opposition. As long as the whole squad is pulling together, fresh legs today and on Monday should give us a huge advantage over Ipswich and then Sheffield United.

Come on you Rams!

This post should be made into a poster and hung in the dressing room. 

Spot on my man

Archived