Ipswich Town F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

8 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Anyone there yesterday could give a breakdown of George Thornes performance?

is he back to his best?

better than Ledley?

Was he fit throughout?

cheers.

Thought George was absolutely superb in the first half - back to his best. And almost scored with a trademark long range howitzer. Ipswich couldn't deal with his partnership with Huddlestone.

Second half he tired a bit and Ipswich mounted a bit more of a spirited fightback. But he finished very strongly. Great that he played the whole game.

In my opinion we need to get that contract tied down ASAP. If he's not back to his true best yet, on that showing he soon will be and should be an asset to the club for a long time yet.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Doodle said:

It still amazes me how people see games differently. Not most of the post, as I thought we should have had 4 or 5 and it was a great win too. But on Russell, I’m not his biggest fan but thought he played really well yesterday. This could be down preconceptions I suppose. If you expect little but see more, your pleased but if you expect greatness and see less, you are left disappointed. I think after yesterday’s shuffle and as you rightly point out, instant gelling. I fully expect a more even game time for our match day squad. With the exception of the central spine, who will play every game barring injury 

Sorry but I agree with 90sRam. Russell’s head definitely dropped at times whether from fatigue or whatever. He was fine when he had the ball but his concentration levels are poor and Wisdom had to shout at him to get back a few times. I was really surprised when he wasn’t subbed tbh. Not a pop at him because I really like JR as a player. More of a concern at his current state of mind.

Otherwise I thought we were brilliant and anybody concerned about the standard of our football under GR can be reassured. Some of our play was just as good as Mac1 but defensively we were so much better. And a big welcome back to Thorne too. He was immense. 

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

What about signing Martyn Waghorn? Gary Rowett could not believe his crossing accuracy. Age 27, how much do you reckon he would cost?

I’d have him, scored a fair few goals this season I believe, reasonably creative too. Wouldn’t imagine he’d be cheap, but if we sold Martin he’d be a good shout as a replacement.

4 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Nigel Clough tried to sign him a while ago, and I think we got Chris Martin instead.

We didn't get Martin instead of Waghorn, wrong time preriod I think.

We reportedly made multiple enquiries to Leicester to take Waghorn on loan over the course of 2 years. At no point was he really in contention for their first team, they had no intention of using him. No stories ever came out from their end saying they wanted to keep him. They barely even acknowledged the rumours yet our local media kept saying we wanted him. In this time he went to both Hull & Wigan (both in the Championship) on loan.

I may be wrong but I was. and still am, under the distinct impression that the player himself had instructed Leicester to reject the offers, that he told them he wasn't remotely interested in joining Derby (under Clough) - Leicester had loaned us other players in this time period (Dickov, DJ Campbell - unsure of the exact dates but the point is THEY were willing to do business) but Waghorn was always off limits.

Therefore, **** Martyn Waghorn, the little tosser.

11 hours ago, Ramekin said:

Sorry but I agree with 90sRam. Russell’s head definitely dropped at times whether from fatigue or whatever. He was fine when he had the ball but his concentration levels are poor and Wisdom had to shout at him to get back a few times. I was really surprised when he wasn’t subbed tbh. Not a pop at him because I really like JR as a player. More of a concern at his current state of mind.

Otherwise I thought we were brilliant and anybody concerned about the standard of our football under GR can be reassured. Some of our play was just as good as Mac1 but defensively we were so much better. And a big welcome back to Thorne too. He was immense. 

It was noticeable if u watched the game carefully. Think u will find that it’s because he’s expecting to leave this month.....

Archived