Derby County F.C. v Aston Villa F.C. match day thread.

Boycie

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bwash_Ram said:

Are the flags comimg out for this one? we need a sea of great white and black

May be a big game but I'm not ripping my drive up for anyone

On 11/12/2017 at 19:31, Carl Sagan said:

@Boycieis our leader, though I was out with Wills the other night and he didn't mention the Villa once! Shocked by how many on here would take a draw. We're at home to a team below us, and we have a chance to push on and grab Cardiff's coat tails and haul them back.

These are the season-defining games that separate the wheat from the chaff. These are the games that show who are going to be the contenders by the time we reach March and April. These are the games where in previous seasons we have been found wanting, but where this time we draw a line in the sand and say, "No more".

Gary showed last time around he was prepared to change a winning team. I hope that leaves the door open for George Thorne to return, perhaps alongside big Tom, the two of them together able to unpick Villa's defence. No Tom Lawrence on the wing presumably, so Johnny Russell is likely to come back in. Chrissy Martin hasn't scored, but I'd keep him in one game more, though Nuge must be champing at the bit.

Let's prove our promotion credentials and overpower them from the off. COYR!

Looking at their squad and momentum Villa are obviously big rivals so we can't afford to let them take 3 points. I'd imagine we take a safety first approach and snatch the 3 points if possible but we'd be happy enough with 1. Can see Nuge and Russell in..buzzing around keeping them busy and Tom being told to try and dictate the pace of the game. Martin and Thorne on the bench coming on 2nd half.

On 11/12/2017 at 20:31, Carl Sagan said:

@Boycieis our leader, though I was out with Wills the other night and he didn't mention the Villa once! Shocked by how many on here would take a draw. We're at home to a team below us, and we have a chance to push on and grab Cardiff's coat tails and haul them back.

These are the season-defining games that separate the wheat from the chaff. These are the games that show who are going to be the contenders by the time we reach March and April. These are the games where in previous seasons we have been found wanting, but where this time we draw a line in the sand and say, "No more".

Gary showed last time around he was prepared to change a winning team. I hope that leaves the door open for George Thorne to return, perhaps alongside big Tom, the two of them together able to unpick Villa's defence. No Tom Lawrence on the wing presumably, so Johnny Russell is likely to come back in. Chrissy Martin hasn't scored, but I'd keep him in one game more, though Nuge must be champing at the bit.

Let's prove our promotion credentials and overpower them from the off. COYR!

Be very interesting to see how much GR moves away from a safety first approach in order to get the win.

On 12/12/2017 at 10:45, Harrowram said:

It will be a good game to win. Cardiff's fixtures over Christmas aren't too difficult and we can't afford to lose touch with them.

It’s a bit early to be looking at results of other teams! Let’s just look after what we are doing and generally we are

Big game in our season this. Based on previous I would expect GR to set us up tight and counter attack at pace. Wouldn't be my preferred method but bit might actually suit us as long as they don't get an early goal.

Expect front 4 of Nugent, Vydra, Johnson and Wiemann. I do wonder if Thorne might start just to give us a bit more drive in the middle. Full back selection will be very interesting. I would stick with Baird and Fozzy (backed up by Johnson)

It's a winnable game. First goal will decide the winner for me.

I really want to see us get 3 points. Sure a draw wouldn't be a disaster but after a couple of tame home performances I think for confidence we need to have a decent win against a better side. It will also serve fire up us supporters for Milwall and the Xmas push. 

Cant deceide whether we should persist with CM so he can get more match sharp or bring in the Nuge after a well earned rest I suspect he'll be pacing up and down wanting to be a nuisance in his own inimitable way. Then do we give George a start for a bit more bite and urgency in the middle ? And what is the Wisdom situation ? 

Missed the Burtom game so have severe withdrawal symptoms .... COYR

We are well set up away from home but really haven’t clicked at home yet excepting the Hull game. I would do a Leicester and treat this as an away game, so to speak. Allow them to have possession and territory and hit them on the counter at speed. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but imho the best way to get all 3 points with Lawrence missing in this fixture 

29 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

i'm lovin' the slow build for this one. I think it's going to be a big atmosphere. Villa traditionally are a good footballing side. IF {and it's a biggish IF}, we beat them, I will actually start to believe. THIS... is a big one. 

C'mon Gary...prove me wrong. :mellow:

Agreed......we need to win this and put on a show.

I'm going with my son so let's see the same team out again that's started playing half decent footy of late.

Archived