Derby County F.C. v Aston Villa F.C. match day thread.

Boycie

I reckon this could be a very cagey affair. Both sides have pragmatic managers with a playstyle looking to sit back and counter with pace in behind. The game could well transpire into a case of neither wanting to open up to give the other space in behind.

However if I was Rowett I'd look to really try to hit them hard early in the game and look to take the game to them. They have to make a few changes to their backline and id look to take advantage. Also if we get the first goal it will play into Rowett plan A and would allow us to pick them on the counter.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s an interesting one what to do with that left position, on immediate thought it would appear Russell is the obvious choice. But would that then mean we have to switch weimann to the left since Russell can’t play there, negating the abilities of arguably our best wideman in recent weeks? Weimann was nowhere as effective when he was shoved on the left for 15 minutes against Barnsley and I don’t think that’s a coincidence. It strikes me he’s at his most dangerous when he can cut in from the right and get in and around the box, which is perhaps why we’ve never seen the best of him before, given that Ince has had that role in previous seasons. 

So do we just do that straight swap or is Johnson maybe the better option? It’s disappointing either way because that three in behind was playing like a perfectly balance unit so I hope it doesn’t distrupt us too much.

I'll be quite dissapointed if he starts with Johnson on the left. Think he severely impacts the fluidity of the attacking. For me just bring Russell in for Lawrence.

34 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Martin

.    Johnson.   Vydra

ledley.  Huddlestone.  Thorne

Forsyth. Davies. Keogh.  Wisdom

.                 Carson

Yule surely agree its time for the christmas tree formation

Wtf are you on? 

Martin in goal and Carson up front. 

I think he might play Johnson today to add defensive solidity because Russell is naive defensively whereas Johnson is a reliable solid option. Forsyth will need as much protection today as possible otherwise he will get ripped to shreds. Russell is better when the game is stretched so it might be better bringing him on later in the game. Otherwise the same team against Barnsley

6 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I'll be quite dissapointed if he starts with Johnson on the left. Think he severely impacts the fluidity of the attacking. For me just bring Russell in for Lawrence.

I don’t disagree with that but it’s just whether Russell is comfortable enough on that left side. Don’t think this is a game for Johnson, we need to play on the front foot but it is a bit of a condundrum. Forsyth will need help down that left side so I just hope Russell can give it him, mind Johnson was appalling in his last two sub apparences so I don’t think he’ll be much help either! Emphasises the need for another left winger in January imo.

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I think he might play Johnson today to add defensive solidity because Russell is naive defensively whereas Johnson is a reliable solid option. Forsyth will need as much protection today as possible otherwise he will get ripped to shreds. Russell is better when the game is stretched so it might be better bringing him on later in the game. Otherwise the same team against Barnsley

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I don’t disagree with that but it’s just whether Russell is comfortable enough on that left side. Don’t think this is a game for Johnson, we need to play on the front foot but it is a bit of a condundrum. Forsyth will need help down that left side so I just hope Russell can give it him, mind Johnson was appalling in his last two sub apparences so I don’t think he’ll be much help either! Emphasises the need for another left winger in January imo.

The thing is I'm not convinced the extra defensive cover is needed I think Villa will come and sit off us a bit to try and deny space in behind, for me Russell will provide adequate cover whilst helping us more going forward. 

I think bringing Johnson is too big a concession for the sake of solidity at home.

12 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I reckon Steve Bruce (pictured) will be coming here for 3 points. We'll need to do something about that Adomah fella too - probably assign Wisdom to that task.

I'd be more confident if this was away but i reckon Gary would take a point today.

brenda-fricker1.jpg

You see I disagree. I think they will come and look to keep it tight at least at first and look to deny us space in behind. It'll be interesting to see how things play out but I reckon it will be tight and cagey. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Martin

.    Johnson.   Vydra

ledley.  Huddlestone.  Thorne

Forsyth. Davies. Keogh.  Wisdom

.                 Carson

Yule surely agree its time for the christmas tree formation

Tear down the tree Mr Gorbachev! Martin to start?

while sipping on my glass of ? I ask you Ramnut:

”What do you see in Martin, that we don’t, that you keep playing him?” Eh?

Nugent and Vydra Nugent and Vydra (Repeat x5000)

4 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

I have just been on the villa website and the match thread is similar to ours, i.e. difficult game , hoping for a win or a draw but anything could happen, seems Bruce and GR set their teams up in a similar fashion , strong defence and a quick counter attack.

I have just asked if I can change my seat from the middle to behind a goal so I see some action lol:ph34r:

Yes, but does their match day thread have the same quality puns? 

I imagine Johnson will be chosen over Russell but it’s a close call and otherwise I’d expect Nuge will come in for Martin ... I know Baird has been superb but I think we need to start thinking about getting Wisdom back in soon - he’s got some tough selection decisions for sure with Thorne as well. Perfect game for GT but it won’t happen 

34 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Christmas Drink last night, head feels like it's in a vice , eyes like stewed plums missus not speaking to me. Only 3 points will sort this mess out, come on boys COYR!!

Great news missus not speaking to you Your very lucky fellow 

Archived