Cardiff V Derby County

peachmyster

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Yeah,two points good,three points better?

Good to see you accept Martin's  contribution and the value of hold up play in the final third.

Personally I think we will see Nugent and Martin starting against the dogs but I'm not adversely to vydra being involved too.

Now,I've unblocked you ninos,so play nice,argue sensibly so we can all be friends

I'll make less memes about you too in recompense?

I'm happy to step into the breach if there's a resultant shortage.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Carson 6, Wisdom 8, Keogh 8, Davies 7, Forsyth 7, Huddlestone 6, Ledley 6, Lawrence 5, Johnson 4,  Russell 8, Winnall 7

Martin 8, Nugent 8.

Solid performance in the first half with counter attacking let down by greedy Lawrence, useless Johnson and very little support.

Solid performance for 20mins of the second half but more of the same.

Then Nugent and Martin did what Lawrence, Johnson and Winnall didn't have the skill to do. The composure yet aggressive possession they brought made us a real counter attacking threat. Forsyth really pressed forward. Wisdom was a monster. Ledley faded badly and Tom never really does more than great cameos during any game.

A couple of breaks involving Martin and Nugent had end product and intelligence.

A couple that included Lawrence and Johnson had greed and more greed. Lawrence wasn't fouled for either of his promising moments. He ran into trouble both times and was tackled.

Johnson  had 2 opportunities to free teammates from promising positions and had a... shot? I think they were shots... from miles away.

On the balance I think Derby will be more gutted to not bag 3 points. Can't complain about a draw. We didn't quite do enough. Our attacking still resembles chaos. Thetes a real lack of understanding there. At the back we looked solid and I can only remember Davies getting murdered for Keogh to make a last man block that Cardiff had

Yep, that’s the game I watched. Martin changed the whole game for me - brought everyone into play. Was going to comment myself on the greed of Lawrence and Johnson. 3 times we had a free player in the box and they went for glory instead. A little composure and/or selflessness and we’d have won that 1-0. 

3 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Yep, that’s the game I watched. Martin changed the whole game for me - brought everyone into play. Was going to comment myself on the greed of Lawrence and Johnson. 3 times we had a free player in the box and they went for glory instead. A little composure and/or selflessness and we’d have won that 1-0. 

Didn't see the game and only caught snipets of commentary but one wonders if the Martin and Nuge show might get Gary thinking that these two intelligent players could work something good together rather than as alternatives - with Winall and Vydra as energy and pace later in the game ? 

Just on way back....good point and to be fair to rowett it's the first time I have seen him be proactive and change it at half time.

Thought first half we were poor and Winnall through no fault of his own didn't play well and looked lost on his own up front, Martin played that role a lot better. I can see why he plays Johnson where he does, and it's ideal away from home, we controlled the game in the second half and with Vydra playing there is more difficult when we haven't got the ball.

Lawerence did well, just needs to release the ball earlier sometimes, however you could notice that they were doubling up when he had the ball which created space for others.  A long way to go, but that's the second half was at last a move in the right direction.

14 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I doubt it's going to happen but I really hope Johnson gets dropped. Ledley is better in midfield and we have better options for attacking positions. It's criminal how much the play breaks down with him

I thought Johnno got booked and therefore misses the reddogs game

1 minute ago, jono said:

Didn't see the game and only caught snipets of commentary but one wonders if the Martin and Nuge show might get Gary thinking that these two intelligent players could work something good together rather than as alternatives - with Winall and Vydra as energy and pace later in the game ? 

Absolutely. Swap Winnall and Johnson for Nugent and Martin and we’re laughing. 

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I've been a big critic of grs game but it was actually good today,the best we have played this season..

Just needs to continue on this vein now.

As others have said, all we needed was Johnson to slide the ball across to Martin, other than shooting, and we'd have all 3 points. 

Good second half performance, and good to see GR recognise how to improve us at Half time, and act upon it.

just sat in the sand martin pub in cardiff after witnessing Derbys best performance of the season , pleased for GR and the lads they all gave everything , special shout out to Foz and Wisdom , immense today , if only Nuge had scored it would have been perfect , but a great save , onto the RedDogs , lets rip them apart , COYR

Fantastic point away to the top of the league

those who were there I assume we were a lot more solid? Personally I am not surprised if that was the case as away from home the lightweights were not starting and by that I mean wieman Vydra Olson, now at home it is a different story.

Well that’s a pleasant surprise of a results, genuinely thought we’d get hammered. Suppose you do tend to play better with some strikers on the pitch...

Hope we make changes to the team based on this game, would like to see a team with Nugent, vydra, Martin and Lawrence in. Not sure how mind, but we could do with finding a way to get our best players on the pitch in positions they can play.

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Fantastic point away to the top of the league

those who were there I assume we were a lot more solid? Personally I am not surprised if that was the case as away from home the lightweights were not starting and by that I mean wieman Vydra Olson, now at home it is a different story.

Yes , Fozzy , wisdom and Lediey have added steel to the team , great to see Fozzy getting back to his best

34 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I doubt it's going to happen but I really hope Johnson gets dropped. Ledley is better in midfield and we have better options for attacking positions. It's criminal how much the play breaks down with him

I think he's pretty crap. He's not even breaking down opponents play now. 

Archived