Cardiff V Derby County

peachmyster

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Lot of talk about Lawrence tonight. The guy is clearly still very raw and might need time to settle here. Has shown plenty of glimpses of genuine class and talent. Let's just give him time.

On another note: Joe Ledley. Absolute class today. Proper professional performance, and has added some much needed grit and steel to this side. Could end up being a very smart signing. 

What all of front guys need is to play together more often to get an understanding,esp playing off Martin...get it right and we will be prolific.

14 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Fozzy 5? Maybe first half but he had a stormer second half 

Second half sliced a clearance into the crowd when under no pressure and air-headed a free ball as well as struggling against his winger. I agree he put some good last ditch tackles in but only because his hesitancy put him behind the winger in the first place. I think he is our best left back but just not on today's performance. He looks short of confidence.

Joe Ledley was solid today but no more than that. He is a reliable pro who keeps his position.

3 hours ago, cosmic said:

Looking so much better than Tuesday night. Solid, disciplined. More positive. A few nice rounds of passing. Growing in confidence. We look like a team today.

Think that summed the first half up best when listening and Rowett seemed to think that by tweaking it slightly with Martin.

Rowett deserves a bit of credit for his subs, glad he saw sense to bring on Martin, with a bit of luck on another day, we could have had all 3 points.

Would like to see how Arron works with Nigel or Vydra from the start against Forest now Gary.

41 minutes ago, Ninos said:

and for all the Johnson haters here the most skillful moment was that brilliant backheel he did iniesta -esque. We've seen this before and he has it in his repertoire unlike a Weimann or Russell ... dcfc even commented on it for the Fozzy woodwork strike 

57 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Don't make more of the Martin appearance than it was. Game called for it. Excellent decisions by GR. Horses for courses here. He made at least 3 bad passes

Johnson 

90mins - Passes 39 - Accuracy 69% - Long balls 0/1 - Key passes 1 - 

Martin 

45mins - Passes 21 - Accuracy 76% - Long balls 3/4 - Key passes 1 - Created chances 1

Irony

38 minutes ago, Ninos said:

A lot on here want Martin and Mac back when in reality it's an ok player and an utterly lousy ex manager.

And we've got a potentially great manager here now. I'll stick with the current manager and his decisions. Chew on that.

Do you want the stats again? Third time

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Don't make more of the Martin appearance than it was. Game called for it. Excellent decisions by GR. Horses for courses here. He made at least 3 bad passes but contributed well to our general attacking play for sure but his days as a goalscorer seem long gone. It's a shame the forward contingent struggles to finish  unless Vydra is somehow involved. Nugent is out of form in his finishing. Should have had the one. Lawrence was creating a ton all afternoon.

Best player was Davies followed by Fozzy Wisdom and Lawrence. Rowett has found his defence now. They were stoic and in the second half menacing going forward. The #10 role is still open but with Johnson out Vydra will get his chance v Forest - I'm sure Warburton will worry most about a Vydra Nugent combo.

50 minutes ago, Ninos said:

and for all the Johnson haters here the most skillful moment was that brilliant backheel he did iniesta -esque. We've seen this before and he has it in his repertoire unlike a Weimann or Russell ... dcfc even commented on it for the Fozzy woodwork strike 

"The swift move that led to Forsyth’s effort against the post was the best bit of play from either side all afternoon, with Johnson’s deft backheel releasing Ledley who in turn fed the ball to his overlapping left-back."

'Don't make too much out of Martin completely changing the game for us and being the catalyst to our much improved second half performance, ignore that entire 45 minutes, it was all Rowett anyway'

'But don't forget about that one pass!!! It completely cancels out any criticism of Johnson!!! Great pass!!'

On our way home from the match.  Didn't expect a lot from today and first half lived down to the expectations!  However, we were solid defensively and Wisdom did really well after a shaky first twenty.  Lawrence looked lively but wasted his best opportunity when he dwelt too long on the ball. Keogh and Davies looking solid.

Was encouraged to see Martin warming up at half time and his presence seemed to lift the other players as they sensed there was someone there who could hold up the ball and bring others into play. We gradually grew into the half and good to see both Wisdom and Fozzy get forward a bit more. Johnson too played his part and I don't get the criticism of him on here. Yes he took one shot when he could have laid it off to Martin but it sat up nicely for him and I won't criticise him for having a go. There was no guarantee that Martin would have done better and it certainly wasn't the tap in for him some are suggesting. 

Lawrence too doesn't always make the best decision with the ball but you can see how desperate he is to bag his first goal for us. I hope it Comes soon as I think he needs the confidence boost. 

Really thought we might sneak it at the end as Nugent was the final piece in that counter-attacking jigsaw and he brought a fine save out of their keeper.  I think we would have deserved the win - just!

It was great to be part of a crowd that really got behind the lads in the second half and well done to the few lads who had worked so hard all game to start the chants. I think that the players appreciated it given their applause at the end. 

I am most encouraged by this performance, thought Martin was the talisman and if he can re-invent himself in that slightly deeper role he can play a pivotal part in our season,  certainly away from home. (I said that after the Barnsley match too!) 

Weather is horrible and it's a long journey home but we'll worth the effort today. Think some of those green shoots people were asking for have sprouted today! 

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Don't make more of the Martin appearance than it was. Game called for it. Excellent decisions by GR. Horses for courses here. He made at least 3 bad passes but contributed well to our general attacking play for sure but his days as a goalscorer seem long gone. It's a shame the forward contingent struggles to finish  unless Vydra is somehow involved. Nugent is out of form in his finishing. Should have had the one. Lawrence was creating a ton all afternoon.

How typical and predictable your comments are. If ,as you put it, the game called for the Martin appearance lets be precise about what it was calling for - his ability to hold the ball , his skill and ability to link play. So do realise you are complimenting Martin by saying this.

The comment about "his days as a goalscorer seem long gone" are a tad premature - how many starts has he been given ? Is he fully match fit ? Has he played with any settled group of players ? Cos we won't get the best out of any of the players until the selection if more settled 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Johnson 

90mins - Passes 39 - Accuracy 69% - Long balls 0/1 - Key passes 1 - 

Martin 

45mins - Passes 21 - Accuracy 76% - Long balls 3/4 - Key passes 1 - Created chances 1

Irony

What's a that supposed to prove I've been to the match  Both players played their part surely that's all that matters By your analogy if Martin had played 90mins he would have made 42passes 3more than BJ  Surely more important facts would be one has scored two goals this season the other none In fact one hasn't scored in his last 23 league games for Derby and he's a striker  

1 minute ago, Mistaram said:

What's a that supposed to prove I've been to the match  Both players played their part surely that's all that matters By your analogy if Martin had played 90mins he would have made 42passes 3more than BJ  Surely more important facts would be one has scored two goals the none In fact one hasn't scored in his last 23 league games for Derby and he's a striker 

Perhaps if Rowett set the team up to play attacking football, rather than hoofball with no midfield Martin might have scored by now.

15 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

What's a that supposed to prove I've been to the match  Both players played their part surely that's all that matters By your analogy if Martin had played 90mins he would have made 42passes 3more than BJ  Surely more important facts would be one has scored two goals this season the other none In fact one hasn't scored in his last 23 league games for Derby and he's a striker  

Beat me to it, wonder why some stats are missing from the post e.g. tackling etc.

Why can't people accept both players played their part in a good second half performance

The possession stat was much improved. 

I'll watch the game tomorrow. 

When i watched the previous away games i found that my perception did not necessarily match the reports.

Sheff u - we were in the game much more than was reported, but didn't create much and conceded stupid goals.

similarly bristol city was a much more even encounter than the score suggests. Very scrappy from both sides. We lost the plot in the last ten minutes. Individual errors again made the scoreline look much worse.

brentford was very disciplined but very poor quality in possession. What possession?

this should be better than all of the above.

Archived