Cardiff V Derby County

peachmyster

35 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I doubt it's going to happen but I really hope Johnson gets dropped. Ledley is better in midfield and we have better options for attacking positions. It's criminal how much the play breaks down with him

He got his fifth booking today so is banned isn't he?

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't make more of the Martin appearance than it was. Game called for it. Excellent decisions by GR. Horses for courses here. He made at least 3 bad passes but contributed well to our general attacking play for sure but his days as a goalscorer seem long gone. It's a shame the forward contingent struggles to finish  unless Vydra is somehow involved. Nugent is out of form in his finishing. Should have had the one. Lawrence was creating a ton all afternoon.

Best player was Davies followed by Fozzy Wisdom and Lawrence. Rowett has found his defence now. They were stoic and in the second half menacing going forward. The #10 role is still open but with Johnson out Vydra will get his chance v Forest - I'm sure Warburton will worry most about a Vydra Nugent combo.

34 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Yep, that’s the game I watched. Martin changed the whole game for me - brought everyone into play. Was going to comment myself on the greed of Lawrence and Johnson. 3 times we had a free player in the box and they went for glory instead. A little composure and/or selflessness and we’d have won that 1-0. 

Greed of Lawrence ? He pretty much set up every good chance we had.

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

If he continues to learn and we continue with today's entertaining attacking football,then yes.

I really don't think he's learned much over the last few games. Every bad result or performance he's pretty much said the same thing. "We defended too deep", "we were too slow", "our decision making in their half wasn't good enough".......... Did he change much around from Tuesday, or did the players?

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

Thought Lawrence played well just didn't always release the ball at the right time.  Martin set up the best chance we had for nugent, they look quite different:-)

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

Yeah I agree, I’m not critising his performance at all. Just highlighting there were a couple of times when he tried to do it all on the edge of the box by attempting to waltz through two defenders. If he’d have looked up he would have been able to play a quality ball to players in better positions. But I’m happy with everything he offered today. 

and for all the Johnson haters here the most skillful moment was that brilliant backheel he did iniesta -esque. We've seen this before and he has it in his repertoire unlike a Weimann or Russell ... dcfc even commented on it for the Fozzy woodwork strike 

"The swift move that led to Forsyth’s effort against the post was the best bit of play from either side all afternoon, with Johnson’s deft backheel releasing Ledley who in turn fed the ball to his overlapping left-back."

9 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Yeah I agree, I’m not critising his performance at all. Just highlighting there were a couple of times when he tried to do it all on the edge of the box by attempting to waltz through two defenders. If he’d have looked up he would have been able to play a quality ball to players in better positions. But I’m happy with everything he offered today. 

The only time I went nuts was the one very early on when he beat players then danced around in the box until he was stationary and lost the ball - prob could have scored there. 

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Diabolical lineup as expected, why leave the top scorer out for a bloke with the control of a dead donkey?! I mean I rate parts of Johnson’s game, but a number 10 he is not.

4 hours ago, ramma said:

Get this idiot out now. Joke lineup. 

3 hours ago, one_chop said:

This line up borders on the ridiculous.

We will concede at least 3 goals and enjoy 21% possession 

3 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Gotta question a manager who had Hughes, Bryson, Butterfield and hell id even through elsnik in there at his disposal and decided that Johnson was the attacking midfielder for him.

Nugent, Vydra and Martin probably all have one eye on the exit right now. I would if I was one of them. 

Can only see a loss today. 

Well, well, well.

14 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I really don't think he's learned much over the last few games. Every bad result or performance he's pretty much said the same thing. "We defended too deep", "we were too slow", "our decision making in their half wasn't good enough".......... Did he change much around from Tuesday, or did the players?

Big if mate,agreed

But credit where it's due today,it was better

One swallow doesn't make a summer,hence my caution.

Let's hope he's on a learning curve upwards..

17 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Don't make more of the Martin appearance than it was. Game called for it. Excellent decisions by GR. Horses for courses here. He made at least 3 bad passes but contributed well to our general attacking play for sure but his days as a goalscorer seem long gone. It's a shame the forward contingent struggles to finish  unless Vydra is somehow involved. Nugent is out of form in his finishing. Should have had the one. Lawrence was creating a ton all afternoon.

Best player was Davies followed by Fozzy Wisdom and Lawrence. Rowett has found his defence now. They were stoic and in the second half menacing going forward. The #10 role is still open but with Johnson out Vydra will get his chance v Forest - I'm sure Warburton will worry most about a Vydra Nugent combo.

You accuse @wixman of bias yet every opportunity you get to minimise or criticise Martins' contribution you put the boot in. Talk about hypocritical 

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

and for all the Johnson haters here the most skillful moment was that brilliant backheel he did iniesta -esque. We've seen this before and he has it in his repertoire unlike a Weimann or Russell ... dcfc even commented on it for the Fozzy woodwork strike 

"The swift move that led to Forsyth’s effort against the post was the best bit of play from either side all afternoon, with Johnson’s deft backheel releasing Ledley who in turn fed the ball to his overlapping left-back."

This is part of the problem with Johnson. He is capable of touches like that one, but he is also liable to do what he did in first half. He picked the ball up just inside our half with no Cardiff player within 15 yards. He set off on a marauding run but just never seemed to have the ball under control at any moment. Once he had got midway into their half he had a couple of players around him and allowed the ball to just roll to one of them. I still think he adds more in away games than Vydra does though, even though they are both as likely to give it away cheaply or score a wonder goal.

Archived