v TSG 1899 Hoffenheim Match Thread

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

I thought Carson made 3 great saves in the first half. Huddleston and wisdom will be great this season, and I agree with most posts, we have lots of so called wide players but no real wingers

Saves (shot stopping) is totally different to handling (where the ball goes from the save)

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I think it would be possible to make it work with a deep lying cf like nugent or vydra given that we have Martin playing up front. But it would require the right players in CM and out wide to support. Right now I don't think we have the right player to support what would effectively be a 442

It seems to me to be a perennial problem for us. We have now sorted out the defence and deep midfield.  Much more balanced strong and tall ...with Fozzy and Wisdom back. Hudds gives the midfield some needed poise, strength and passing range.  At this level the front line will score,  but the AM link is, to my mind missing - Is it Bryson or Johnson ? A top drawer wide player would help of course, How do we prevent Martin being isolated ? No matter how good his link up / holding ability is, there has to be someone close enough to him and the middle of the park so that we are dangerous from the half way line to the edge of the box. 

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Are we talking Craig Forsyth or Bruce Forsyth??? Craig had a good game today.....

Did he ? He looked unfit , got caught out of position on several occasions and miss placed at least 4 passes that I can recall . Way over rated .

As many others have suggested we're a top winger or two away from being standouts at the moment, we just don't have those players. Losing Ince is massive and there is thus  far no replacement. We were quite content to sell Weimann for 2m, going into the season with him as a starter isn't the permanent plan I'm sure. 

Russell took his man on once and did well but he's not reliable enough. Weimann is a squad player, does the basics well and he's very unselfish but we have no top winger. It's no surprise to see Lawrence/Jota/Ojo banded about, I suspect we'll have one in before Friday. Just a feeling on that, no ITK magic. 

Out entire philosophy is now balls over the top and wide players slipped through on through balls while countering. If we have an intention of promotion this year we need players who can get through and make something happen, as of now we don't have anywhere near enough of that magic. Rowett will sort it. 

The starting XI will be THE starting XI next Friday unless we bring someone special in. That's my thinking. 

Saw nothing from the subs to suggest otherwise. 

Wisdom and Keogh the highlights for me. 

Butterfield and Johnson did little to further their claims, but Bryson was even worse when on. 

Glad to see Vydra back and scoring, but I don't get the feeling GR likes him. We'll see.

2 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

The starting XI will be THE starting XI next Friday unless we bring someone special in. That's my thinking. 

Saw nothing from the subs to suggest otherwise. 

Wisdom and Keogh the highlights for me. 

Butterfield and Johnson did little to further their claims, but Bryson was even worse when on. 

Glad to see Vydra back and scoring, but I don't get the feeling GR likes him. We'll see.

I thought Bryson was better than Johnson. I also think Anya is better than Weimann. However,,,neither massively eclipsed the other.

2 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Well surely he must like him a little bit as he risked playing him when he'd only just returned to training on Friday?

Enjoyed the game today, I agree with want Mr Rowett said in his after match interview, Wisdom is a beast of a man, and is so strong it's unreal, I have my new Bucko back in the Derby team, so good to see him back in a Rams top, will be a very important player for us this season, also thought Keogh, Huddleston and Carson had good games, can not wait for Friday now, and my prediction is 2-0 to derby goals from Martin and Davis from a corner.

I didn't go to the game today but a general point, If we end up playing 4-3-3 then the midfield have got to get up to support Martin otherwise he'll be isolated. This was Johnson and Butterfield's problem previously. Bryson gives you that. 

Trust Rowett to sort, but still think the 4-2-3-1 will best suit our current personnel.

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I didn't go to the game today but a general point, If we end up playing 4-3-3 then the midfield have got to get up to support Martin otherwise he'll be isolated. This was Johnson and Butterfield's problem previously. Bryson gives you that. 

Trust Rowett to sort, but still think the 4-2-3-1 will best suit our current personnel.

Agree. Our midfield are always behind the ball. Even when we have it!!

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Are we talking Craig Forsyth or Bruce Forsyth??? Craig had a good game today.....

In fairness he got embarrassingly skinned at least twice, and I'm a Fozzy fan. I prefer Lowe there but that's like a fantasy assuming he will ever play 3 games straight

Archived