v TSG 1899 Hoffenheim Match Thread

22 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

That is true jimbo, Butterfield is fine as a sub after the game is won if you know what I mean, when Thorne is properly match fit he may do well in there if no more re- enforcements arrive 

But even Thorne is similar to the others in terms of lacking a bit of pace...I am happy with Huddleston or Thorne, then Johnson in front, but then someone a bit different alongside him, maybe that is where Matty James might fit in?

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

My comments are not just based on today but last season too.

It is no coincidence that the stand out players are the new ones.

We showed promise today. I am not moaning. I am giving my opinion on how we can get better. Which we need to be if we are to be top of the league.

There are players to come in , this team will go up 

13 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

You say we are going to be top every season.

It's getting boring every time I see that. 

4 minutes ago, valleyram said:

There are players to come in , this team will go up 

You say this every season. This time last year you said Nigel Pearson would be the man to take us up. I think we're short. A challenge on the playoffs seems more realistic. Probably a 7th-11th finish is more likely.

1 hour ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Good second half, shouldn't have lost in the end. Worked very very hard all game.

Come off it.

altho we were solid and did ok it could and should have been 5-2 

when it went to 1-1 they reacted and went up a gear until their lead was restored

Great game, to watch, thought we did well against a very crisp and fast paced team.

We created 4/5 good chances, and had we been further on in the match fitness stakes

would probably have got at least a couple of them.

Thought we pushed them hard and harried their defenders very well, that's obviously the answer

when you don't have the majority of possession, and we were good at it.

Looking forward to Friday.

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Come off it.

altho we were solid and did ok it could and should have been 5-2 

when it went to 1-1 they reacted and went up a gear until their lead was restored

Meant by our chances. Both the pen and Nugent's chance. Could have easily got the draw. 

2 hours ago, BuckoBeast said:

Had my reservations about Huddlestone coming back but oh my goodness, his passing and technical ability is immense.

Great on the ball but he sure as f*** aint a defensive midfielder.

As Bris said...

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Midfield has been far too easily bypassed. I know Hoffeinheim are a top team, but even if we're sitting back they're finding far too much space 20-25 yards from goal.

Great finish from Wagner. 

...both goals came from them receiving the ball 25 yards out, defensively he was nowhere to be seen.

1 hour ago, one_chop said:

And to top it off a bird is doing a pitch side interview. 

That 'bird' has thighs you could bury your face in.

everytime i look at them i think of @ramblur. He loved them.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

What the f*** has happened to Bryson? 

Continually fouls, looks a few yards off the pace and every game, no matter the opposition or formation, the game bypasses him.

Is it his age? Have his legs gone a bit? Not writing him off, but he's really starting to frustrate me. I put it down to him shaking off that injury and not being fully fit towards th end of last season. Used to be my first name in midfield.

He did better than Johnson who was awful. He won quite a few tackles and closed down well. Put Weimann in for a chance. 

You have to remember we were playing a team the equivalent of Arsenal or Spurs. They finished 4th. 

In an ideal world he would be a bench player for us this year but is definitely not our worst CM. 

Well I don't know about you lot but it was great to be back at Pride Park.

thought it was a good game and enjoyed it.

still think we are missing something in midfield though. We need someone with a bit more technical ability than Bryson and quicker than Butterfield. A merge of the two would be good. It's not a whinge, just a general observation that I think butters slows the play up. If we start the season with this midfield I'd prefer Bryson and Johnson in front of Hudds.

like most have said, a new winger is also required. Russell frustrates me, he controls the ball from a 50yard pass perfectly on his chest then knocks it 10 yards away near to an opposition player. Fair play to him though he set up what should have been a goal if Martin had left it and got us a penalty

all in all a decent performance and with a couple of additions I'm confident we will be competing towards the top positions

37 minutes ago, hughesy 1984 said:

Imo we should have Huddlestone and Bryson in the middle with vydra just behind Martin, plenty of energy with Bryson's energy and Tom's passing ability.

We got massively exposed in CM when we went 4231 as we would do most weeks. We would have to play Tom and Thorne as they are the only ones who could hold the position and there isn't much pace there. 

5 minutes ago, sage said:

We got massively exposed in CM when we went 4231 as we would do most weeks. We would have to play Tom and Thorne as they are the only ones who could hold the position and there isn't much pace there. 

It could work as well if we got a genuine CAM like Toral.

On the plus side, the defence looked pretty solid. Huddlestone's passing was a highlight. 

However....the four in midfield  - russell, butterfield, johnson and weimann don't offer enough.

we needed to get closer to martin.

bryson and vydra might do that at the expense of being more open.

Butterfield and johnson are pot plants who sit like to sit deep despite gary's flawed assertion that they like to be further upfield.

Hoffenheim gave us a footballing lesson. The way their four or five buzzed in support of the attack and overloaded on the flanks was very impressive. Like fulham last season. Thats what we need to aim for. We need mobile, quick, attack minded players who pile on.

does that describe butters and johnno?

Archived