v TSG 1899 Hoffenheim Match Thread

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Are you seriously trying to say that Butterfield is as wasteful in possession as Johnson ? The difference is night and day between the two when it comes to keeping the ball, last season Butterfield had an average passing accuracy of 83% whereas Johnson's was 70%. I do agree it would be nice to bring someone better in though.

...but don't you ever suspect that all the pointless square, short or backwards passing is actually there to maintain those meaningless stats?

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

...but don't you ever suspect that all the pointless square, short or backwards passing is actually there to maintain those meaningless stats?

I've pointed it out before and will do it again, it's a bit of a myth that Butterfield goes backwards or sideways more than other midfielders. Butterfield passed the ball forwards at pretty much exactly the same rate as Hughes last season and more than Bryson. Johnson passed forward more but generally played in a deeper position and had a significantly worse accuracy.

Also I'd much rather a player go backwards or sideways and retain possession than aimlessly punting the ball and gifting away possession.

2 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Jesus you really do not like certain players, at this level Martin is a class player and will probably score the winner on Friday night, then go on to score another 20 goals after that, which he has done more than a few times in his career so far, but you will never rate him, enjoy the season Ninos, and hopefully we will be celebrating promotion to Premiership together.

A bit eerie that you're talking both to Jesus and myself here, but yes, hopefully Rowett can sprinkle some magic management dust on this side and Tom H can implement, and lead us into the promised land. If we do the team press thing properly we may just do well in this division and it could be enjoyable.

Such a shame we won't see Hughes and Huddleston in the same Derby side ,I think that would have been quite something to see ,,

the backline and deeplying playmaker departments are sorted but we do look very devoid of that spark of magic beyond that ,the player that can beat a man and bring others into play ,, that's Hughes at his best ( in form) , I am a bit concerned that we may be frustrated watching tom hudds fantastic passing being wasted by players with poor first touch control and end product ,

that said I have got tickets for wolves at home ( first pride park visit for a long time ) and hoping I'm wrong and we turn it on

1 minute ago, archied said:

Such a shame we won't see Hughes and Huddleston in the same Derby side ,I think that would have been quite something to see ,,

the backline and deeplying playmaker departments are sorted but we do look very devoid of that spark of magic beyond that ,the player that can beat a man and bring others into play ,, that's Hughes at his best ( in form) , I am a bit concerned that we may be frustrated watching tom hudds fantastic passing being wasted by players with poor first touch control and end product ,

that said I have got tickets for wolves at home ( first pride park visit for a long time ) and hoping I'm wrong and we turn it on

I could easily have written this very post.

Russell yesterday - on the one occasion he dared use his right foot, he got to the byline and created the opportunity where Martin's shot was blocked 2 yards off the line. Wish he'd do it more often and be less predictable to defend against. If he's going to cut inside on his left peg, he needs to do it with a little  more pace (e.g. Ince) as the opponents will just be expecting it anyway.

Secondly, his recovery was really poor. After an attack broke down or he made a run but didn't receive the ball, he was casually jogging and often just strolling back. In other words, nowhere near ready to affect play, either by tackling back or being in position to receive a pass when we regained possession. I get the impression he gets picked partly due to his work-rate, but this wasn't evident yesterday.

Forsyth - again he's certainly done very well to recover from such a major injury. However, his limitations were evident yesterday. Even allowing for Hoffenheim's technical superiority and impressive movement off-the-ball. I wish we'd stop that tactic of placing him on the halfway line to head on long balls from Carson. It just doesn't work and never did. When Carson has the ball, Fozzy trots away, looking completely uninterested - either he doesn't want the ball (!!) or knows the tactics mean he won't get it anyway. Either way, body language is disappointing to witness. I think during his long absence many people actually over-estimated his abilities as we didn't really have a reliable alternative. 

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Russell yesterday - on the one occasion he dared use his right foot, he got to the byline and created the opportunity where Martin's shot was blocked 2 yards off the line. Wish he'd do it more often and be less predictable to defend against. If he's going to cut inside on his left peg, he needs to do it with a little  more pace (e.g. Ince) as the opponents will just be expecting it anyway.

Secondly, his recovery was really poor. After an attack broke down or he made a run but didn't receive the ball, he was casually jogging and often just strolling back. In other words, nowhere near ready to affect play, either by tackling back or being in position to receive a pass when we regained possession. I get the impression he gets picked partly due to his work-rate, but this wasn't evident yesterday.

Forsyth - again he's certainly done very well to recover from such a major injury. However, his limitations were evident yesterday. Even allowing for Hoffenheim's technical superiority and impressive movement off-the-ball. I wish we'd stop that tactic of placing him on the halfway line to head on long balls from Carson. It just doesn't work and never did. When Carson has the ball, Fozzy trots away, looking completely uninterested - either he doesn't want the ball (!!) or knows the tactics mean he won't get it anyway. Either way, body language is disappointing to witness. I think during his long absence many people actually over-estimated his abilities as we didn't really have a reliable alternative. 

I think from memory that all of the performance stats showed Forsyth to be the best left-back in the Championship...and I'm inclined to agree from the evidence of mine own eyes Sir. Sure, he's bound to be a bit ring rusty...he hasn't really played for 2 seasons so give him a few games and he'll be back to his almost best. Very few opponents get the better of him and he is a very effective crosser of the ball ina  way that Cyrus Christie will never ever be. 

I also think Olsson is a reliable alternative though O is not a player that I reallly rate...but hey! He's a winning goal-scorer over the Dogs so must have some pedigree on that alone. 

You know what ? .. We played well against a team that are on a different level to us. We scored a goal, created chances, looked dangerous and but for an excellent goalie could have had a draw. 

I am sure GR will have learned a lot and be polishing his "my prefered team" thoughts.

Great result for a game of this nature. 

Roll on Friday when I hope Sunderlands dispiriting result will only aid us. 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

You know what ? .. We played well against a team that are on a different level to us. We scored a goal, created chances, looked dangerous and but for an excellent goalie could have had a draw. 

I am sure GR will have learned a lot and be polishing his "my prefered team" thoughts.

Great result for a game of this nature. 

Roll on Friday when I hope Sunderlands dispiriting result will only aid us. 

True...they seem to be far from healthy....but a team can be bonded and strengthened after a 0-5 reversal so we must not become complacent. I am starting to see a few Rams thinking that Sunderland are sinking fast but we must focus on ourselves!

10 hours ago, RamsFan10 said:

Didn't mean to quote that, all that said thought today was a good team performance. Don't see us letting many in this year.

It was your best post - don't knock it.

9 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Are you seriously trying to say that Butterfield is as wasteful in possession as Johnson ? The difference is night and day between the two when it comes to keeping the ball, last season Butterfield had an average passing accuracy of 83% whereas Johnson's was 70%. I do agree it would be nice to bring someone better in though.

How much was safe backwards passes and how much was forward balls up the line for our wingers to chase?

Out of curiosity was Carson at fault for the goal? Looked like he should have held on to the ball but spelled it straight at the oppositions feet. 

Genuine question as I haven't seen the replays, just looked like he could have done better and I've seen ratings of 8 and 9 for his performance.

Archived