v TSG 1899 Hoffenheim Match Thread

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Derbados said:

We look more solid as a unit but we are seriously lacking creativity from the wide areas. 

Huddlestone gives us creativity from the middle but we really miss Ince and have not replaced him (yet) 

conceding goals wasn't an issue last season it was scoring them and at the minute this team doesn't have many goals in them.

Agreed, although I doubt anyone was under any illusion otherwise. Hopefully the signings will come.

Will say though that Bennett had some sparks of creativity, taking on his man a few times. Hope there. 

1 minute ago, ShoreRam said:

I was contemplating earlier - Losing badly today would not have been great for us, obv we're playing a very strong team but confidence would have been hit, a narrowish defeat is not issue. Losing badly to a noddy scottish team however, will leave them very flat. Good news.

Don't get me wrong, living up in Scotland and watching Celtic from time to time they are a good side, don't belong in Scotland and are about premier league level, however for Sunderland to put out their strongest squad against a Celtic team with a couple of key players missing and losing 5-0 really doesn't bode well for them! It does seem as though we've got them at the perfect time 

1 minute ago, Edinburgh ram said:

Don't get me wrong, living up in Scotland and watching Celtic from time to time they are a good side, don't belong in Scotland and are about premier league level, however for Sunderland to put out their strongest squad against a Celtic team with a couple of key players missing and losing 5-0 really doesn't bode well for them! It does seem as though we've got them at the perfect time 

Pre-season enough said. But I hope you are right

see how friday goes, im hoping that we have got in a wide player with some real quality by then and id really like a centre midfielder who isnt a headless chicken, tom huddlestone has a great range of passing but johnson, butterfield and it pains me to say bryson are all very poor footballers, there fantastic headless chickens couldnt fault them on that side of there game

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Thought he did ok. I think we are a bit pedestrian in the midfield and do need some legs and energy...

But I dont think he has got the legs. That's my point. He's late to tackles, to second balls and keeps fouling. Think their second goal came from a quick free kick he gave away.

He even fell flat on his face with no one around him chasing back for a counter attack. Dont know what's happened to him.

Just now, ShoreRam said:

I was contemplating earlier - Losing badly today would not have been great for us, obv we're playing a very strong team but confidence would have been hit, a narrowish defeat is not issue. Losing badly to a noddy scottish team however, will leave them very flat. Good news.

It isn't looking great for Sunderland at the minute. They got hammered by a 2nd string Celtic side and 2 of their new signings, Vaughan and Steele are getting slated by their fans. Grabban and Vaughan apparently started arguing on the pitch over who would take a penalty and Vaughan missed it anyway. Oh and to top off their awful day, Khazri went off injured. 

When the fixtures were released I was a bit worried that we were playing them early because they'd still have some of their Prem players who they hadn't sold yet, but at the minute it's looking like we'll be playing them at a good time.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I've been impressed with Davies' ability to get on the end of EVERY corner! :o I wouldn't be surprised to see him bag at least 5 this season

During the game I tried to see if I could find the odds for him to score 5 this season on skybet. Couldn't figure it out though.

9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Midfield has been far too easily bypassed. I know Hoffeinheim are a top team, but even if we're sitting back they're finding far too much space 20-25 yards from goal.

Great finish from Wagner. 

Agree completely. 

Every time I suggested on here that we needed more midfield players I was assured that we had enough

If anyone was impressed by Johnson,  Bryson or Butterfield today please let me know.

Matty James would walk into this side.

Upfront Vydra must start ahead of Weimann or Russell.

We lack forwards who can beat a player.

There were some lovely forward balls today which better forwards would have finished off.

Overall it was  good learning exercise -an excellent friendly. 

Time and time again I see people focus on pre season results and I say the same thing, pre season results mean absolutely nothing and that's the same with both ours and Sunderland's results. It has absolutely no baring on the season. Make no mistake, Sunderland will be up for it from minute 1 against us next Friday and it will be a really tough game. Their fans will be really up for it too and it's the first competitive home game since Bradley Lowery's passing.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Time and time again I see people focus on pre season results and I say the same thing, pre season results mean absolutely nothing and that's the same with both ours and Sunderland's results. It has absolutely no baring on the season. Make no mistake, Sunderland will be up for it from minute 1 against us next Friday and it will be a really tough game. Their fans will be really up for it too and it's the first competitive home game since Bradley Lowery's passing.

At last. Normality has been restored

A decent performance, but in context they are two weeks behind us in terms of preparation.

Thought Huddlestone was great, composure and importantly always looking to move the ball forward. Thought Martin held the ball up well in the first half and the run from Nugent to win the corner late on in the second was great centre forward play. Forsyth looked slightly off the pace today, hopefully just lack of real game time as when he's at his best he is an accomplished full back in this league.

Would still be looking to add some quality in the wide areas, nothing inspiring about Weimann or Russell today, Ince would have been a handful for them so hoping for a quality replacement to come in before Friday, although that seems unlikely. 

Good turn out from the Derby faithful as well, as for Rams TV, living in Aus i've signed up for the year and the commentary was the best its been. Area for improvement, more replays, the only one's i remember were them showing a replay of the Butterfield free kick in the first half where it went straight in to the keepers arms! But for a tenner a month, i won't grumble too much! 

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

you may be right and luckily the fans won't playing. However, even though it's only a friendly you'd expect with only a week to go until the season starts that the teams would start to gel and turn match fitness (priorities for the early pre-season matches) into at least half decent performances. 

Of course, it's better to get hammered today rather than next Friday and it could (and probably will) all backfire for us and the Sunderland manager will get the proverbial "reaction" from his players.

Championship vs champions league so let's keep it real folks

points of note, 

carson  - sensible

wisdom - looked strong 

davies - looks a threat still from corners

forsyth - some great passes mixed in with some poor ones but great to see him playing

keogh - we need him

huddlestone - just sheer quality and he has to take the set pieces when it comes to crossing 

butterfield - drives me nuts, there is a player in there but he just stops momentum forwards

johnson - well he is there to head and shoot basically and welcome to the Derby missed penalty club

wieman - if he can find some end product he could be good

russell - good openings and yet again wins Derby county a penalty 

Martin - linked well with both Forsyth and Russell again

subs 

bryson - usual engergy

nugent - should have scored 

Vydra - did score and hello! 

Bennett - trying to hard 

Ollson - actually had a shot 

the Germans - decent - nice 2nd goal by international centre forward. 

Archived