v TSG 1899 Hoffenheim Match Thread

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Carson's handling hasn't looked good enough all game :pinch:

I thought Carson made 3 great saves in the first half. Huddleston and wisdom will be great this season, and I agree with most posts, we have lots of so called wide players but no real wingers

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really enjoyed today,great to see the lads both old and new,playing again.

The stadium looked pristine by the way and the pitch was immaculate,well done to all the staff for those aspects.

I thought we did ok against a much better German side,whose speed and agility were in a different class...as expected.

My ratings

Carson;excellent as usual 

Forsyth;looked a bit rusty at first but grew into the game

Keogh; tremendous,to be honest and never looked intimidated.

Wisdom;shaky start,lost a few balls by complacency but improved as the game went on...and god,he's a strong lad.

Curtis;made a few c*** ups with slow passing into the opposition's hands...looked a bit shaky against such opposition but again grew more confident as the match went on.

Butterfield;didn't see much of him at all,in fact I can't remember what he did.

Johnson;looking trim,fitter and strong... fought for every ball.....no idea why he took the penalty though,surely that should be Martin's job.

Huddlestone;the man mountain, unbelievable insight in his passes and surprisingly agile when necessary.a definite game changer.

Bryson;made a big difference when he came on,full of energy and ran down the opposition which unsettled them.

Russell;worked hard and made an especially excellent runs into the box twice which resulted in a great cross and then a penalty the second time.

Martin;looked quite isolated but his link up play was typically brilliant and was shot by the sniper again resulting in a free kick in a dangerous place for us...something we have sorely missed.

Weimann;ran around like a mad man but the ball rarely went to him on the wings....will be dangerous against less talented opposition.

Vydra;a little terrier when he came on,strong and quick.his goal was the best I've seen him score....may well link up well with Martin if he has the chance.

Nugent;made a couple of decent runs into the box and perhaps should have scored....

Anya;seemed to be better playing against a higher class of side than against many championship sides last season.....just wish he could turn his skill into more crossed and shots.

Ollson;cracking effort on goal,linked up well with Anya.

Bennett;first time I've seen him play live...fast and aggressive,he could do well this year as he develops.

I think that's just about everyone?

Probably do Derby good playing such a good team and certainly puts into perspective the gulf in class between us and premiership style opposition......we certainly weren't hammered by them and I doubt anyone other championship side could have done much better.

Looking forwards to the season though,we will need time to knit the team together and gain the fluidity and continuity which will surely come...

7 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

It could work as well if we got a genuine CAM like Toral.

Yes. It wouldn't work with deep lying CF like Nugent or Vydra. 

Bryson is the only current player it would work with and then maybe only away from home ie counter attacking rather than unlocking a packed defence.

4 minutes ago, valleyram said:

And have lost a fortune , will keep on trying mb , I like Rowett talks great and believe he's doing the right thing by waiting on the players he wants 

Let's hope he gets the time to eh?!

Would of come away disappointed today if we were playing  A lower league side , but in perspective this is a class side. They may not of got out of 2nd gear (or did they??)

I feel confident our shortfalls today won't be exposed by many championship sides 

think we are 2 players short still but can't wait for Friday

COYR

Enjoyed it today , Hoffenheim look a well set up team with some quality players , nice quick passing good to watch . 

Regarding our team , starting 11 looked solid but won't pull up any trees , not enough flair in the front 3 . Forsyth is way over rated by some of our fans and looked a weak ling in the back four. Huddlestone just oozes class?. Weimann isn't good enough to start, I honestly would start Bennett over him.  Not trying to be over critical I really am just picking the bad bits out of an overall good performance against a champions league team. 

56 minutes ago, RamNut said:

That 'bird' has thighs you could bury your face in.

everytime i look at them i think of @ramblur. He loved them.

Can assure you,every time I look at them I don't think of you:D

41 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Really enjoyed today,great to see the lads both old and new,playing again.

The stadium looked pristine by the way and the pitch was immaculate,well done to all the staff for those aspects.

I thought we did ok against a much better German side,whose speed and agility were in a different class...as expected.

My ratings

Carson;excellent as usual 

Forsyth;looked a bit rusty at first but grew into the game

Keogh; tremendous,to be honest and never looked intimidated.

Wisdom;shaky start,lost a few balls by complacency but improved as the game went on...and god,he's a strong lad.

Curtis;made a few c*** ups with slow passing into the opposition's hands...looked a bit shaky against such opposition but again grew more confident as the match went on.

Butterfield;didn't see much of him at all,in fact I can't remember what he did.

Johnson;looking trim,fitter and strong... fought for every ball.....no idea why he took the penalty though,surely that should be Martin's job.

Huddlestone;the man mountain, unbelievable insight in his passes and surprisingly agile when necessary.a definite game changer.

Bryson;made a big difference when he came on,full of energy and ran down the opposition which unsettled them.

Russell;worked hard and made an especially excellent runs into the box twice which resulted in a great cross and then a penalty the second time.

Martin;looked quite isolated but his link up play was typically brilliant and was shot by the sniper again resulting in a free kick in a dangerous place for us...something we have sorely missed.

Weimann;ran around like a mad man but the ball rarely went to him on the wings....will be dangerous against less talented opposition.

Vydra;a little terrier when he came on,strong and quick.his goal was the best I've seen him score....may well link up well with Martin if he has the chance.

Nugent;made a couple of decent runs into the box and perhaps should have scored....

Anya;seemed to be better playing against a higher class of side than against many championship sides last season.....just wish he could turn his skill into more crossed and shots.

Ollson;cracking effort on goal,linked up well with Anya.

Bennett;first time I've seen him play live...fast and aggressive,he could do well this year as he develops.

I think that's just about everyone?

Probably do Derby good playing such a good team and certainly puts into perspective the gulf in class between us and premiership style opposition......we certainly weren't hammered by them and I doubt anyone other championship side could have done much better.

Looking forwards to the season though,we will need time to knit the team together and gain the fluidity and continuity which will surely come...

Mclovin gave bryson a 4 , he must be a woman , no idea of the game or how it's meant to be played 

38 minutes ago, sage said:

Yes. It wouldn't work with deep lying CF like Nugent or Vydra. 

Bryson is the only current player it would work with and then maybe only away from home ie counter attacking rather than unlocking a packed defence.

I think it would be possible to make it work with a deep lying cf like nugent or vydra given that we have Martin playing up front. But it would require the right players in CM and out wide to support. Right now I don't think we have the right player to support what would effectively be a 442

1 minute ago, valleyram said:

Mclovin gave bryson a 4 , he must be a woman , no idea of the game or how it's meant to be played 

Nope, I actually understand the game and can see when a player is very average, which he has been for years. His best attribute was his energy, which he has lost. It's a problem that is associated in the Uk for many years, fans here love players who run around when in reality they're very poor. Hoffenheim gave us a lesson in passing and movement.  

13 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Can assure you,every time I look at them I don't think of you:D

From now on you will. :lol:

18 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Enjoyed it today , Hoffenheim look a well set up team with some quality players , nice quick passing good to watch . 

Regarding our team , starting 11 looked solid but won't pull up any trees , not enough flair in the front 3 . Forsyth is way over rated by some of our fans and looked a weak ling in the back four. Huddlestone just oozes class?. Weimann isn't good enough to start, I honestly would start Bennett over him.  Not trying to be over critical I really am just picking the bad bits out of an overall good performance against a champions league team. 

Are we talking Craig Forsyth or Bruce Forsyth??? Craig had a good game today.....

Archived